At the Pharmacy

oilyboid

It's my age.

Being diabetic I used to have to sign the rear of prescriptions to the effect that I was exempt from charges consequent upon the condition.

When I turned 60, the pharmacy told me that I no longer was required to sign as age 60 was/is a trigger point for free prescriptions.

But more recently I've again been required to sign - that I'm over 60. Now, I don't have a great problem with this, but on the face of the prescription not only are my NHS number and date of birth printed, but also my age (somewhat over 60), presumably on the basis that I might be arithmetically challenged.

Since the NHS has known my age for oodles of years, and neither my GP nor the pharmacy have a cogent reason for the signature requirement, do you have access to anyone who might?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It's for record keeping purposes.......you have to make the declaration and sign it as well. That makes everybody happy ....... :D

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I'm so sorry.....it's a fact, that's all. Ask any Pharmacist. I'm not sure what you are expecting me to tell you..... :?

Ken

jopar

Lets see if I can be a tad more helpful :D

The signiture on the back of the precription is so that they have a record who picked up the prescription be it the patient or the patient repersentive.. Also it complies with red tape legalities, comfirming that yes you are either the individual on the prescription and you are entitled to recieve a free percription, due to age, excemption cert etc...

No different than having to show your excemption cert, when you picking up insulin supplies, which of cause the chemist will or should know, if you getting insulin then you are a diabetic and get free precriptions which leads to why on the earth do I then have to tick the box and sign when on the first is written Insulin???

p.s

I didn't know that our national insurance number was written on our precriptions :shock: Didn't think my doctor had that, can't remeber ever having to give it to them.. I have been with the same practice since I was born, but saying that you don't get your national insurance number allocated until you'll 16!! I thought that the docs/hospital worked on your medical record numer/id which is given at birth..

bufferz

save making a new thread - my exemption card runs out this december, do i have to reapply, or does a new one get sent automatically?

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
I've never had to sign since I turned 60, that was 6 years ago :D

Graham

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
The staff at our pharmacy sign it for all those that they know. The first 6 numbers of our NH number, in Scotland anyway, is our birthdate so it isn't rocket science but hey it all makes work for the working man to do. :roll: :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
bufferz said:
save making a new thread - my exemption card runs out this december, do i have to reapply, or does a new one get sent automatically?

As far as I am aware the NHS state the following:

If you have one of these certificates it MUST be renewed every 5 years.

Your pharmacist will ask to see your certificate from time to time - so remember to check it to see when it expires. No reminders to renew your certificate are sent out by the NHS

Go to the surgery and ask at reception for a Form if you need to request a certificate or your existing one is due for renewal

Prescription costs will not be refunded unless you have an official NHS receipt for any charges you pay - Form FP57 – ask your pharmacist if you are waiting for your Certificate to arrive.

Ken.

bufferz

cheers Ken - its usually the mrs who gets the repeats for me and as they know her, they dont bother asking :wink: