Positive

GemmaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I've just found out I'm pregnant after using a home pregnancy test. My husband and I are really pleased but I'm also worried about my diabetes and how it might affect my baby. I phoned the doctors and they told me to phone back at 8am tomorrow so I can get an emergency appointment. Please could you give me some advice/information on what I need to do next. Any information about hospital visits etc. will be really appreciated .

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: mist and MelissaC

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how exciting congratulation... ! and welcome here GemmaD :)

some other may advice you on that but what happy news

Reactions: GemmaD

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations @GemmaD :)

Most women are advised to phone their DSN and will usuallly be given a diabetic pregnancy clinic appointment very quickly (I was offered one the next day). Are you taking the high dose folic acid? If not, get that prescribed as soon as possible - by your GP if necessary ( it has to be prescribed as it's a special strength).

Your clinic may also ask you to take a tiny dose of aspirin later on too.

You'll get extra scans and lots of excellent care :) Are you on a pump or injections?

GemmaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you :)

Yes, ironically I was at the hospital yesterday for a general diabetic check up and the consultant gave me the high dose of folic acid to start taking. Little did I know I was actually pregnant at that point! He told me to start taking it before I conceive. Will it make a huge difference that I've only just started taking it now?

I'm pleased about the extra scans and appointments because I know I'll be worried about my health and the baby's health throughout.

Thank you both for your quick response!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You won't be the only lady who didn't start taking the folic acid until you were pregnant. The main thing is you have it now :)

Don't worry - you really will be well-looked after :) A diabetic pregnancy is hard work because of the need for tight control but it's no less enjoyable :)

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations @GemmaD! :D How exciting for you. Hope the docs have sorted you out with a pregnancy clinic appointment x

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am so surprised you guys all got next day appointments. I was told by my doctors I had to wait until 8 weeks until I can have an appointment. The high risk doctors don't start seeing me until the second trimester either.

However, a diabetic pregnancy can definitely be stressful and is a lot of hard work, but it is SO worth it. You just have to watch your sugars like a hawk. As long as you keep them in control and do not let them stay high for long periods of time (you will inevitably have a few). You will do great, congratulations!!

Pilzy-89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @GemmaD

Congratulations to you! I found out on Wednesday I was pregnant through a home test (I did two because I didn't believe it!). The diabetes pregnancy clinic where I live is run on a Tuesday so I have an appointment this coming week. I was already in pre-preg so have been on folic acid for a few months and my HbA1c was at 6.4% - don't let that fool you I have been really poorly controlled for many years but tightened up when hubby and I started thinking of children.

This week has been a pain with sugars, sometimes high (11.4 one morning despite being 7.0 before bed that night) woke up this morning at 3.8 with a 9.4 before bed. I just try not to let it bug me too much. Easier said than done!

Hope all goes well with you, do you know how far along you are? X

wannabemammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @GemmaD

Congratulations to you! I found out on Wednesday I was pregnant through a home test (I did two because I didn't believe it!). The diabetes pregnancy clinic where I live is run on a Tuesday so I have an appointment this coming week. I was already in pre-preg so have been on folic acid for a few months and my HbA1c was at 6.4% - don't let that fool you I have been really poorly controlled for many years but tightened up when hubby and I started thinking of children.

This week has been a pain with sugars, sometimes high (11.4 one morning despite being 7.0 before bed that night) woke up this morning at 3.8 with a 9.4 before bed. I just try not to let it bug me too much. Easier said than done!

Hope all goes well with you, do you know how far along you are? X

Great news Pilzy! It's well deserved! Happy and healthy 9 months to you and Gemma

Pilzy-89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @wannabemammy! It's not been easy but now the hard work really starts! Keep thinking it's my body tricking me because I want it so badly hoping everything's ok in there...

Hope everything is going well with you and you get the go ahead soon! x