Low carb and long periods of exercise

Howski

Hi,

I plan on going hiking next weekend and being recently diagnosed I have been trying the low carb route. HoweverI was thinking it would be wise to have about 40-50g of carbs before walking for over 6 hours.

Would it be wise to take more? It would be breakfast so what do you suggest for a slow release carb??

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Howski
Iwalk a lot and regularly do a couple of hours exercise on low carb. I never increase my carbs for it, but do carry a pack of glucotabs. I recently had to open my pack for a non-diabetic hiker. However, since Ionly use Metformin, hypos are pretty unlikely.
Hana

Howski

Cool, I'll do that then. The reason I ask is that I saw a lot of websites saying this can be dangerous

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi Howski, I guess it would depend on how far you were going, how fast your were going and how fit you are in the first place! a nice, slow paced amble might be ok but a brisk hike might require some more fuel, if you haven't done it before with low carbs then perhaps this is as good as time as any to try it, just take some snacks in case you need a 'boost' :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Howski.
In my opinion if you are going to be walking for 6 hrs and it may be strenuous at times then you need to take with you some Glucotabs, Lucozade and slow acting carbs to keep your blood sugar levels stable.

You definitely need to take your meter and test prior to setting out, at regular intervals whilst walking and at the end of your walk. Obviously plenty of water too for hydration purposes.

If Bg levels are getting low then you need to have the tools to deal with all eventualities. Anybody, even a non-Diabetic can hypo so just because you may not be on medication don't think that you are immune from such things. Too much exercise and not enough food (carbs) before and during any exercise can tip you over the edge into hypo territory.

You need to make sure that you are at a reasonable Bg level before you attempt your first walk. Once you have completed your task then you will know exactly what effect it has had throughout and what you might need to do next time.

Ken

Howski

Well its Pen Y Fan via the res route. Been up twice via that route already so I know that the route will be pretty demanding (check the contours for the first mile or so!). First time I went up I tweeked a muscle and had really bad cramp on the way down, so the second time I took some of the glucose gel things and took 2 on top of my normal lot while walking and it pretty much went without issue.

I've not tested during walks before but last weekend I walked for just under 6 hours (easy walking) with only water during. When I got back I testes and my BG had only gone down by about .5, however 2 hours after it had dropped to something like 4.6 and I was feeling tired.

I normally over prepare for walks so don't worry too much! I believe in the 6 Ps and not having done this on low carb or since being diagnosed I'm researching like mad. I'd not want to have an avoidable incident and have to be saved by the flying octopus!

What I was most worried about was by loading up on carbs - I'd cause an unnecessary spike and send my BG in to the danger zone before I even lace up my boots. However on the other hand as a lot of websites say that low car and lots of exercise can be a bad thing I wanted people's experiences before making my mind up

betic

i have been low carbing since new year and i do the gym five nights per week both weights and distance work...i am also on metformin and to be honest tested myself alot at the start but found it made very little difference to my levels...i carry a gluco tab as a precautionary measure but have never needed it....i always have a light meal when i have finished at home as i am well hungary by them..lol...good luck