Baked beans

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's funny how everyone is different isn't it. We're MDI levemir, and unbolused beans would send my daughter from 5mmol to double figures in about 10 minutes flat lol!

And is your basal and bolus doses correct to the best of your knowledge.....?

What size of portion would she be having normally...?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Baked beans are for me, always fast acting. that half a tin of 27.4g of carbs? Takes me up like a rocket, and with the DAFNE recommended amount of insulin, up I'd stay. Baked beans might contain beans, but I've rarely found that beans on their own are so slow acting that I can take no insulin for them.

But then I've also found that DAFNE's understanding of insulin action isn't always compatible with the realities of everyday life.

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I ignore most low gi style advice and dose for all the carbs - too many past mistakes on low(er) gi wholemeal bread rice pulses etc. Dont think most dieticians have either t1 or a cgm so their knowledge may be imperfect. I am very low carb now so no bread rice potatoes but i do still eat beans chick peas and lentils etc, just not tomato sauce ones, and these are slow release which need extended/multiwave bolus