Whata mistaka to maka!!!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was out this afternoon and running on low after a busy shopping session and only a salad for lunch- only a Subway in sight so acting on knowledge gained from other places I thought - I know - a bowl of meatballs :!: - read on the grapevine they are ok low carb snack - expected a few carbs but within my remit to bring me back up to speed

so got said meatballs and continued to shop - imagine my shock when I have just come back and googled for nutritional info-

4 meatballs in tomato sauce with a very small amount of cheese - I expected the carb of 20g per portion but "of which sugars" 12g :shock: :shock:

Hadn't tested afterwards as low on strips so not sure what it did to my bg - but won't be having them again to find out - usually avoid this kind of tomatoey sauce thing anyway- hopefully all the clothes trying on used it up!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
lovinglife,

I love meatballs in tomato sauce, homemade of course every-time, at least that way you know what goes into them, some shop bought meatballs and restaurant versions are quite high in fat. I made a meatloaf a few weeks ago, first time at trying, and looking at the empty plates afterwards it was a great success! :D

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
My wife makes an excellent 'Mexican Meatloaf' which we eat a couple of times a month. Heres the recipe.

Mexican Meatloaf

400-500g Lean minced beef
Breadcrumbs
1 egg
1 packet Old El Paso taco seasoning mix
1 jar of Old El Paso salsa hot or mild whichever you prefer
Some strong grated cheese
1 packet of plain crisps

In a large bowl mix together the mince, breadcrumbs, egg and taco seasoning. Lightly grease a loaf tin and put half the mixture in, pressing it down flat. Cover with the grated cheese and then the rest of the meat mixture. Put in the oven gas mark 5 or 6 or 180-200c for about 25-30 minutes, until it is nicely browned. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Drain any fat from the tin and then ease out of the tin gently.

Cover with the salsa and crush the crisps and sprinkle over the top. Put back in the oven for 10 minutes and then serve.

And for those who are able to eat a little rice, here is my wifes special rice recipe, excellent with the Mexican meatloaf

Wendy’s Rice

8-10floz Basmati Rice
1 onion chopped
1 clove of garlic crushed
Frozen veg such as sliced mushrooms, peas, sweetcorn and mixed peppers
1tsp coriander leaf
1tsp turmeric
1tsp parsley
½tsp marjoram
1pint beef stock
Salt & Pepper to taste

Fry the onions, garlic and mixed veg. then add the herbs and seasoning. Put in a large bowl along with the rice and stock and cook on high in the microwave for 10 minutes. Allow to stand for a further 10 minutes before serving.

And now I'm hungry :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That sounds nicer than mine Sid, I'll definitely be giving that one a go! :D

The rice sounds similar to how my mrs makes hers, but I think that she is more generous with the garlic though.

Nigel

banjo brunette

Thanks Nigel and Sid. Both recipes sound yummy but one small point - any suggestions as to what I could substitute for the breadcrumbs? I daren't bring bread into the house as the husband may get a taste for it again :( What about ground nuts as filler?
Cheers, BB :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
banjo brunette said:
Thanks Nigel and Sid. Both recipes sound yummy but one small point - any suggestions as to what I could substitute for the breadcrumbs? I daren't bring bread into the house as the husband may get a taste for it again :( What about ground nuts as filler?
Cheers, BB :D

I am unsure about that bb, I don't strictly low-carb, but it may work and you can but try it! :D

Nigel

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
You could try ground almonds; they work quite well as a substitute for breadcrumbs and flour in many recipes. :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow - sort of glad I made my mistake - going to make Sids wifes Mexican meatloaf for dinner tonight - sounds wonderful - mmmm

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
lovinglife said:
Wow - sort of glad I made my mistake - going to make Sids wifes Mexican meatloaf for dinner tonight - sounds wonderful - mmmm

How was it?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers said:
How was it?

It was really good Sid - had it with a green salad and it was a hit - there was a slice left so I had it cold for my lunch the next day - real comfort food - will be making it again - thank you Mrs Bonkers! :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glad you enjoyed it, I shall pass on your comments to mrs b :)

justfoundout

Dislikes
Bullies
My latest breadcrumb substitution is to grind up sunflower seeds. You can buy a large pack in pound land for - yes you guessed it - £1!
I used them last week on a fish and chip meal (celeriac chips). Fillet the fish, pat in some soya flour, dip in egg, then roll in the pseudo breadcrumbs. Olive oil in pan then gently fry turning only when done on first side. Yum. Other half now a convert so no more 2 types of fish dish. Even smitten on the celeriac.
Meat loaf on list of things to try next.
For whoever posted the carrot muffin recipe - HUGE thank you. Made them last night and delish! Only change I made was to add some crushed walnuts for a bit of crunch. M