My Wife's a terrible Diabetic!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So Friday night I had a bit of a moan about being T1D to the wife - she's been with me for all my 20years since diagnosis so she does 'get it'.........just! But when she cooks and she's dishing up and I'm preparing to do my jab I'd ask how many carbs have I got.....usual answer is 'I don't know' yet she knows I have to count carbs - obviously when I cook I'm spot on every time :hilarious:!

The up shot was I challenged her to pretend she's diabetic for a week, working with my blood test results, my ratios but what ever she was eating. Most times she's got the insulin dosages about right more by luck than anything but so far she's had 2 severe hypos, probably one 20+ high oh and also given up. (if only I had that option!)

What did tip her over the precipice was going out last night to a Chinese restaurant!

But when she cooked a spag bol Monday evening, she weighed everything, looked it up in the 'bible', knew exactly how many carbs we both had, had even decided to split her 'dose' because of the fat and pasta but promptly forgot the rest of her dose later, I decided after talking through the ins and outs of things to do my whole dose but after I had eaten (I usually split dose with varying results) and that worked well so was worth discussing this while our supper was getting cold - I made sure she got the full experiance :D

She did completely **** up one breakfast, we're still not sure how she came up with a too high a carb figure even with weighing her honey nut cornflakes, and then used the wrong ratio - that would have been an ambulance jobby mid to late morning LOL.

She even started to read my copy of think like a pancreas!

I think she 'gets it' just a little bit more now.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My wife used to have the carbs ready for me but she rarely does now......but I don't feel bad, its not up to her...its up to me...

most of the time its easy enough to work out.....

Reactions: Freema

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Lol that was certainly a case of your wife 'walking in your shoes' @slip !

Fair play for her for trying, that's admirable ;)

Reactions: Energize

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats right its up to you not your partner. Plain laziness to be honest. In clear english, I'm responsible for everything with my diabetes, nobody else.

Reactions: Mbaker

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So Friday night I had a bit of a moan about being T1D to the wife - she's been with me for all my 20years since diagnosis so she does 'get it'.........just! But when she cooks and she's dishing up and I'm preparing to do my jab I'd ask how many carbs have I got.....usual answer is 'I don't know' yet she knows I have to count carbs - obviously when I cook I'm spot on every time :hilarious:!

The up shot was I challenged her to pretend she's diabetic for a week, working with my blood test results, my ratios but what ever she was eating. Most times she's got the insulin dosages about right more by luck than anything but so far she's had 2 severe hypos, probably one 20+ high oh and also given up. (if only I had that option!)

What did tip her over the precipice was going out last night to a Chinese restaurant!

But when she cooked a spag bol Monday evening, she weighed everything, looked it up in the 'bible', knew exactly how many carbs we both had, had even decided to split her 'dose' because of the fat and pasta but promptly forgot the rest of her dose later, I decided after talking through the ins and outs of things to do my whole dose but after I had eaten (I usually split dose with varying results) and that worked well so was worth discussing this while our supper was getting cold - I made sure she got the full experiance :D

She did completely **** up one breakfast, we're still not sure how she came up with a too high a carb figure even with weighing her honey nut cornflakes, and then used the wrong ratio - that would have been an ambulance jobby mid to late morning LOL.

Fair play to your wife for 'avin a go..! :cool:

But if you really wanted to spice up the "role playing"?
Why not build an eye screening room in the basement. & maybe you could dress up as a diabetes nurse? :nurse: ;)

Reactions: urbanracer
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

A great thread slip and a friendly one too, good on your wife for taking on a bit of a medical role playing, thumbs up :)

Reactions: isjoberg and Juicyj

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee we don't have a basement but if we did there's bound to be too many spiders in there for her! One's one too many as far as she's concerned.

Reactions: isjoberg and Jaylee

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Nice one! Buy her a bunch of flowers and a box of your favourite chocolates....... Oops I really meant a box of her favourite chocolates.

I showed my wife how to measure up my mashed potatoes and she will tell me how many carbs/ scoops that she has given me.

She also bakes some cracking scones she follows the same recipe each time so i know how many carbs one scone should be although each scone tends to be a different size quite massively so i do end up estimating then with some degree of success.

Regards
Martin

Reactions: slip

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done to her for having a go. Although we all must all take responsibility for our own health, if you live, cook and eat together as a family, you also have responsibility to try and look after and support each other. You are a team. So hat off to your missus.

Reactions: slip