Bending Over Backwards

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
How far do you change your routine to suit school etc...

I changed Khaleb's insulin times to fit in with his Early Learning Centre's morning tea time. I thought this was fair enough.

Khaleb is only there for just over 2 hours, twice a week in the school term (38 weeks a year). Today they have told me Khaleb took too long to drink his bottle. I had a discussion on how to rectify this. One option being that Khaleb could get a bigger morning tea and not have the bottle. After coming home I am thinking to myself that this really wouldn't be a good idea. He is still going to have his bottle when I get him home and the total of his diet is going to be changed and the times all through the afternoon that he will have lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. I also think depriving him of a drink isn't such a great idea. Sure, I could work it out but if I do this it will need to be a 7 day a week change for the benefit of a place that he spends a total of less than 5 hours. I would love to just give Khaleb water out of a cup but he just can't manage that and I have tried and tried!!! If I force the issue he just refuses to drink, blood sugar goes high then crashes and he gets quite constipated (Down's kids tend to have slow working bowels at the best of times).

The reason that the bottle is a problem for them is that there is less learning time in an already very short session. It is annoying though because another kid gets taken to the toilet 4 times in the session where Khaleb can hold his bladder like a camel. Surely that kid is missing out on the same learning time?

Anyway, I feel like I'm having to bend over backwards when what I do works. Khaleb's blood sugar was 7.0 at morning tea time and 5.2 before lunch. Why would I want to stuff this up?

Do other parents get requested to change things to suit other people or do they work around you? I find it really hard when I have so many things to keep in check with Khaleb. Sometimes I just find it depressing :cry: . I do think Khaleb's education is important but in other ways I figure he's going to need someone with him for the rest of his life so why bother knocking myself out when we can just do stuff at our own pace. The outside help received is pitiful so I am basically a nurse, speech therapist, occupational therapist, teacher and physio.

Anyway, what requests have you had and how many did you actually think were reasonable?

leggott

Hi Jen, Sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

Personally i feel that they are being unreasonable. I can't believe for one minute that they understand what hurdles you face on a daily basis otherwise they would not of mentioned this to you.

Like you say, other children may have to have time out for other things, and although they may see the bottle as being something that can be easily be stopped, it means working everything out again, just when you have got excellent control going. In addition to this Kelab enjoys his bottle and going to nursery is about having fun and learning in a warm and nurturing enviroment and having his bottle is part and parcel of this. I am sure that in the not too distant future he will probably want to go without the bottle, but at the moment he is still very young and i don't see why he should go without. All children are different and I don't think a one size fits all approach will work in this case.

My kids go to the same school and they are the ones who bend over backwards for me. They let them have snacks when I've asked and are always so accommodating. Only today they called me as my little boy thought his bg was low after only 1 hour of eating his lunch. I asked them to give him a glucose tablet and get him to check his bg one hour later and call me with the reading. They had no issues with this and I'm expecting the call any minute!

Please don't let this get you down. You are doing a wonderful job and I and many others on this forum think you are an amazing mother to Khaleb. Take care Leggott

annettekp

Hi Jen

Sorry you're feeling so down.

I agree with Leggott that the nursery are being unreasonable. Difficult one to sort out though. Khaleb's levels sound so good it would be silly to mess around with the great routine you've got going for him.

Much discussion wiht the nursery necessary I think. Do you have a diabetic nurse who could talk to the nursery and help explain things?

Annette

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Jen,
Stick to your guns babe, you know whats best for Khaleb and the nursery are being very unreasonable. There in that setting for Khalebs benefit and its up to them to fit in with his routine and let him have his bottle when he needs it. As for teaching him anything they should be doing it at his pace not theres. Few years back i worked 1 to 1 with an autistic little boy in the playgroup and i was always worked around his needs and we slotted nicely into place. Had a routine going that he had break at the same time as other kiddies but he sat at another table for 5 wks until he felt able to sit amongst them, timed his nappy change 4 times in a 2 1/2 hr period every day and still had time to teach him some basics. After all, at that age its all about interacting with other children, they learn from each other, and have a limited attention span with most adults anyway.
Hope you get it sorted soon, and are enjoying your few hours of 'me' time each week.
Hugs to you both as always,
Suzi x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Khaleb has special needs and the nusery should be meeting them.
hana

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
I should have pointed out that his Early Learning Centre is just for Special Needs kids. There is 2 staff for 5 children. I have just put up with them changing the teacher aide in the room and now the other person trained is going on long service leave. I've already had the experience of leaving Khaleb with half trained staff and they would have been about 20 minutes off calling an ambulance. It doesn't end up 'me' time when I have to keep popping in and out or staying there. The nurse who does the school based training may be able to come in and I think I will arrange for that to happen (again).

This is more frustrating than any benefit.

suzi

Dislikes
Jen, you really are being pulled through the mill and i'm so sorry you haven't had that desperately needed 'me' time. You work so hard ensuring Khalebs well being and so should the staff at his early learning centre. 2 adults to 5 special needs children, just doesn't sound enough. In my pre school playgroup its 1 adult to 7 children inside (and that at times can be a handful) and 1 to 3 outside . 2 people coping with Khalebs needs and those of 4 other children, distractions, teaching, feeding and changing all at once is some challenge. There trained to do a job, they have Khalebs list of requirements, so they should be getting on with it, and to the letter.
I hope they see sense and you get the issue resolved soon, so that both you and Khaleb can start enjoying this experience,
Suzi x

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jen, I'm sorry to hear that you're having a difficult time with Khaleb's nursery. Ultimately everyone should be doing what's best for Khaleb, the nursery should be fitting in with his needs not the other way around. Our experience of Jess' school is that they've been so helpful and supportive in every way possible, you should expect the same from your nursery. Stick to what you know is right and best for Khaleb, get some outside support from your diabetes nurse if necessary to help the nursery realise the importance of keeping to Khaleb's routine. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Today everything just got a little bit worse.

Khaleb had his first hypo at his Early Learning Centre today (normal breakfast/insulin etc). I have the best 'Hypo Action Plan' that even someone who knew nothing about diabetes could follow. They did phone me to tell me Khaleb's blood sugar was 2.4 so I told them what to do immediately and follow the instructions on his Action Plan.

They did not follow the plan at all and even though they did feed him they did not retest him for 45 minutes. By then he was 2.8 and they phoned me again. I went straight there and found them just sitting with Khaleb and not bothering to feed him more. I fixed his blood sugar in 10 minutes and stayed there till finishing time. I also discovered that they left his action plan in his folder and didn't even look at it!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I have now put a copy of his Action Plan in his glucose monitor pouch and with his bag that has hypo treatment in it. Khaleb had a bsl under 3mmol for probably close to an hour. Can I swear now?

To make matters worse I had told them that I got up and checked Khaleb twice during the night because I felt strongly that he wouldn't last (but both times he had bsl 8 and 7). I told them that I did a bsl at 9am that was 8.2 and I gave him some extra food because I still had that funny feeling he wasn't right. I told them I had concerns and to keep an eye on him. I don't know how I know he will hypo but sometimes there is just something about him that seems different.

Thanks for reading my complaints. It's driving me mad but all the teaching in the world doesn't seem to sink in to some people. :roll:

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jen, that is really very frustrating for you and poor caring on the part of the nursery staff. Is there a nursery manager who you can talk with to complain about the events today?

Get a colourful hypo poster printed and laminated that can be pinned up on the wall somewhere. We have one in the medical suite at Jess' school and one in her classroom. The staff around Jess see it every day, whether they need it or not, so when Jess has a hypo anyone who doesn't already know how to treat it will remember seeing the poster and know what to do. And it's there incase they've forgotten what to do, on the wall so no one has a problem of not knowing where the instructions have been put.

annettekp

Aw Jen how horrible for you.

It sounds like the staff don't fully understand Khaleb's needs at all. It must be frustrating when they must have had training on how to deal with things.

Is there a complaints procedure as they were way off today?

Big hugs to you

Annette

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Thanks for all your comments.

Khaleb is sick today so at least I know why he had such a hypo last Friday. Khaleb often has a sudden, out-of-the-blue hypo a few days before he gets sick. Anyone else find this?

At least I don't have to have a panic attack while he is in the care of a couple of novices next week at his Early Childcare Centre (Staff member is going away for 2 weeks) and I have a good excuse just to keep him home with me :D I had planned just to stay there with Khaleb anyway.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm in for a long night, as per usual, with sick child. If only Khaleb's immune system picked on the bugs instead of his thyroid and pancreas :roll:

Xx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
What the nursery did was ridiculous!
You had given them all that they needed to geet it right. I don't expect there will be any long-term consequences though.
I'm sorry Khaleb is unwell, but he's back with his Mummy
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jen.
I agree with all the others about the Nursery. I just wanted to say I hope Khaleb gets better soon and that you get your rest too.

Ken.

suzi

Dislikes
Hi Jen,
sending you both (((hugs))) and hope Khaleb is better soon . As for his nursery, i bet i'm not the only one who has swore as i've read about the incompentent staff at his nursery, thank God Khaleb has been alright.
Take care of yourself Jen,
Suzi x

ZACNEMMA

Hi Jen

Hope Khaleb is feeling better soon. Must have taken a lot of decorum to keep your cool, whilst dealing with sub-standard nursery.

Love and hugs coming your way xx

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Khaleb's cough is a bit worse today and levels occassionally spiking high and needing correction so happy to keep him home with me. My confidence in the people Khaleb sees without me is really blown and they are just going to have to understand that I need that back before I can happily walk away and leave him.