Fallen off the wagon.

Tannedhaggis

It started innocently enough with a trip to the movies. Then I couldn't say no to the choc top ice cream and the malteesers. Promised myself tomorrow would be a new day. However after I went to bed my mind started thinking of the large box of chocolates I had bought for a Christmas present. It was as if I was possessed by the sugar monster, I got up out of bed and opened the chocolates! Next day I was strong until mid morning, what's a girl to do with an opened box of chocolates! Yep you guessed it.
Three weeks of good work undone in a 24 hour period. how do you all stay strong? I read the "what have you eaten today" thread each morning and I am in awe of the healthy choices people make on a daily bases. Why can't that be me!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, for a start, 24 hours doesn't undo 3 weeks of good work. It doesn't work like that. :)

However, 'catastrophic thinking' makes it FEEL like that. :)
Here is a link that explains it.
http://www.bodyandbone.com/2015/07/catastrophic-thinking-and-why-it-can-sabotage-your-diet/

So, today is a new day. A bright shiny new day.
Any chocs left? If so, you get to choose whether to bin them (under something dirty and smelly, so you don't WANT to go digging), or finish them off for breakfast.

Whichever decision you make, your NEXT step is to make sure that you have A LOT of filling, nutritious, satisfying lower carb options for meals and snacks around you ALL DAY. Fat (cream in coffee, nuts, cheese, mayo, etc will kill the cravings, if you get them) Eat as much as you want, whenever you want, so long as it is on the 'approved' list for your way of eating.

Keep that up for a couple of days, and you should break the back of both the catastrophic thinking, and the carb cravings, and you should feel back in your happy place. Then you can ease back on the high fat foods til you are back to eating how you want, long term.

Don't worry, this may be the first time you fall off the wagon, but it won't be the last. I can't count how many times I have done it. And I certainly don't bother with the head-game catastrophy guilt nonsense any more. Total waste of time.

Just eat your way back on track with all the yummy low carb foods that you couldn't contemplate if you were doing the high carb low fat grind. :D

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
No, you're not the only one. I fall off the wagon occasionally too. Last Friday evening there were leaving drinks for a colleague, with nibbles - very good nibbles. Numerous little bready and samosa -y things later (and a piece of cake)... I took my bloods an hour later and they were 8.0. The two glasses of prosecco I had may have stopped the figure from being a lot higher. The following evening I had two small glasses of lovely, sugary Limoncello- bloods 10.5 this time. I've been pretty strict this week and luckily my BS levels snapped back quite quickly. What with Christmas we are coming up to a time of temptations, so I guess it would be best spread the carby stuff out.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, you're not the only one. What with Christmas we are coming up to a time of temptations, so I guess it would be best spread the carby stuff out.

@Tabbyjoolz is absolutely right. A lot of us fall off the wagon and with Christmas coming I'm sure a few of us will be using this forum as a confessional :)

As you've discovered, sugar and carbs are addictive which is why you wanted more and more after your innocent cinema trip. Perhaps a few large glasses of water afterwards or some exercise (just running on the spot, a few star jumps or climbing the stairs a few times) can make you feel a little less guilty and helpless.

You've done really well in your first three weeks. Keep up the good work and maybe join us in posting your good choices on the What Have You Eaten Today thread to keep you focused and motivated?

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have found (although still fairly new to all this) that allowing yourself a "treat" not a "being naughty or bad" gives you permission to eat a little something now and then. The secret is to then say, that was lovely and i will treat myself again next month/week... little goals help me to keep going as i can see the next treat/weigh in/aim etc. Good luck and don't beat yourself up

Reactions: Snapsy and Prem51

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everyone has friends and support in here I love it @Tannedhaggis what's done is done you can't change that but just like @Brunneria says today is a new bright shiny day! So climb back aboard the wagon and start again
I hope you enjoyed the chocolates though

Reactions: Prem51

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It started innocently enough with a trip to the movies. Then I couldn't say no to the choc top ice cream and the malteesers. Promised myself tomorrow would be a new day. However after I went to bed my mind started thinking of the large box of chocolates I had bought for a Christmas present. It was as if I was possessed by the sugar monster, I got up out of bed and opened the chocolates! Next day I was strong until mid morning, what's a girl to do with an opened box of chocolates! Yep you guessed it.
Three weeks of good work undone in a 24 hour period. how do you all stay strong? I read the "what have you eaten today" thread each morning and I am in awe of the healthy choices people make on a daily bases. Why can't that be me!
You are only human I doubt anyone can say they have never done anything similar

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Tannedhaggis please don't beat yourself up! You're normal, you're human, it happens.

Happens to me too. Happens to all of us, I'm sure.

Draw a big line underneath it. Today is a new day! Start again. There ain't no shame in that.

Hope you enjoyed the movie!

:)

Reactions: Tannedhaggis

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I fall off the wagon, but when I do, it is a deliberate choice that I look at as a treat. It is planned rather than an impulsive action. My treats aren't sugary stuff. They are starchy carb stuff mainly. This gives me something to look forward to, and in between times I don't get the urge. Of course I will spike but I come down again.

There is no point in feeling guilty about being human. :)

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all only human, @Tannedhaggis, and there's only so much temptation that we can withstand - so I agree with the others, try no to beat yourself up too much, learn from the experience, and move on. Perhaps it was fate it should happen now - so you can be well prepared for Christmas temptations & have your alternate "goodies" ready and waiting :D

Last edited:
Reactions: poshtotty

Tannedhaggis

Thanks so much everyone for your kind words of wisdom. I certainly had a good old dose of catastrophic thinking (Brunneria), just didn't realise that's what it was! At least I know I am in good company and appreciate your honesty, ali, tabby, posh & pink. I did enjoy the movie, snapsy (Hacksaw Ridge) and the chocolates, Terry.
I love how you think bluetit & Salvia, so I will certainly look on this as a lesson. Failing to plan, is planning to fail!

Tomorrow is a new day and I have dusted myself off and getting straight back on that wagon......yeeeehaaaaaaaa

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Know yourself.
If you are going to give a present of chocolates, buy them and give them straight away, don't have them there waiting to tempt you.
If you are tempted, go to the fridge and eat some of the things you prepared earlier so you always have something to eat.
Don't go to a place where they are offering carby foods without eating something allowed before you set off.
If you do eat something you shouldn't, don't give up and go on eating. The time to start again is before the next mouthful. You can even spit out the stuff you just put into your mouth - really you can. It helps if there is a serviette, or you have a tissue - but you really can do it if you set your mind to eating right.

Reactions: Energize

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much everyone for your kind words of wisdom. I certainly had a good old dose of catastrophic thinking (Brunneria), just didn't realise that's what it was! At least I know I am in good company and appreciate your honesty, ali, tabby, posh & pink. I did enjoy the movie, snapsy (Hacksaw Ridge) and the chocolates, Terry.
I love how you think bluetit & Salvia, so I will certainly look on this as a lesson. Failing to plan, is planning to fail!

Tomorrow is a new day and I have dusted myself off and getting straight back on that wagon......yeeeehaaaaaaaa

@Tannedhaggis this was me the weekend before I went to the docs! I got the call to say I had diabetes BUT one of my team had sent me an early xmas present and it was a ginormous bag of choccies and what did I do? give them away because I'd been told I had diabetes? hide them? put them in the bin? nope, I binged on them the entire weekend to the point of being thoroughly sickened with myself. yup I think we've all done this sort of thing, we're all human and we all make mistakes, don't beat yourself up, just think of all those days where you HAVE done well and HAVE eaten great, those are the days to dwell on, onwards and upwards. Good luck

Reactions: Doriand and Salvia

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I have been slipping in mood since the clocks went back.
After low carbing for 2 years and losing lots of weight and my blood were in a pre-diabetic state (They were at the highest 64...) I felt good.

I have been making Christmas crackers for the family and last night filled them with treats. Maltesers and Haribos.

I had 5 mini packets of Maltesers left and I ate them. Lord knows why as every Christmas I buy choccies and biscuits as presents and I have never eaten anything before. Just wrapped everything. When family members bought me choccies for Christmas I made them take them back. When my Mum comes I buy her chocolate biscuits and never eat any.
I make her take them home.

So last week I bought myself a lightbox. I have known about them for years but it wasn't until a few weeks back when I didn't feel right I thought about SAD syndrome. Its when you feel bad in the winter and supplement 20 minutes a day with a small portable 'blue' lightbox.
Apparently you should use it in the mornings for 20 minutes. Not afternoons or evenings as it wrecks your nightime sleep.
If anyone here uses one I would be interested in any tips or feedback.
I have 'til mid January to see if it works. If it doesn't it can go back. But from what I have read it gives you a new lease of life.
We shall see eh....

Really hoping this sorts me out and my strange cravings....

I don't usually write this sort of stuff down but after reading Suntan Hassis's post I felt compelled to answer and it has done me good to share.

Zola.x

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
Welcome to the human race. If I can use the 'riding a bicycle' analogy: when you fall off a bike, get back on it and move on. We are on this journey (LCHF) and Diabetes for the rest of our lives. A moment of weakness is just that, a moment. Enjoy the rest of your life and just don't forget the big picture ... ;)

Reactions: Tannedhaggis