A work in progress.... great progress :-)

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Some background. I've been overweight since I was 8, obese since my teens. Obviously I tried many times to lose weight.... sometimes successfully.... never kept it off. Diagnosed T2 in 1998, aged 34. My all-time high weight was 22 stone at 5'7".

A few years ago I took up exercise and started cooking everything from scratch and cut out (most) snacking and puddings - following a 'low fat healthy eating' style. I was able to stop taking my meds (metformin + gliclazide) and had HbA1C in the mid 40's. The lowest weight I got to was just over 14 stone. Then I started regaining weight, HbA1C went back up, back on metformin etc, though only a low dose (500mg twice a day)

In July this year I decided I needed to "get a grip". I was over 20 stone again, don't know what my bg's were since I hadn't had any test strips since going off meds, and had been too afraid to ask about my HbA1C the last couple of times. Silly, I know. But it's safe to say they weren't good, because I was started back on metformin, and then the dose increased.

Anyhow, for some reason I can't really explain, the way I chose this time was the lower carb way. And within a short time - having read up about it - I was/am full-on keto.

In August I went for my annual diabetes review, having recently moved house. At that point I'd been keto for 7 weeks. HbA1C 62, BP slightly raised, lipids and everything else OK. Because of the HbA1C she wanted to increase my metformin, but I told her I had recently cut my carbs, started exercising and was actively losing weight, and she agreed to review in 3 months.

So the three months are over..... HbA1C 40, BP low normal And this morning, my fbg was 4.9. I've lost 3 1/2 stone in the five months I've been LCHF. Overall, I would say it's worth sticking with!! Obviously more weight to lose..... and given I'm still more than 2 stone heavier than I was when I came off meds before, I think we can safely say that is on the cards in due course.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great results @Barbara G, and a great reward for your hard work! :)
Thanks for posting that, it's always good to read about successes.

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What great results. The lchf way really does work. I have lost 25kg so around 4 stone since May this year which I would never have thought possible before starting this as I had never managed anything like this result ever before. No matter what age you are this way is the way to go. Again well done and stick with it

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done. It's great when there are such pleasing results.

I've lost 3 stone over the course of the year since I've been low carbs, having lost 2 stone after a massive upheaval in my life, plateaued for a couple of years, and, um, 2 stone in the pre-diagnosis few months when I was eating carbs and sugar for the Universe! (It's OK. I know better now...) and another stone in the cut-back of sugar post-diagnosis, which again plateaued but led to stubborn rising bloods which wouldn't lower, and ultimately led me to LCHigherF.

This last little bit is being the most stubborn, it's taken 2 months to lose 1lb, but it's well, well worth sticking with. I'm doing VLC at the moment pre-Hba1c test next week and it's looking promising for that.