controversial views insulin

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Increasingly Cynical
You've not replied for a while-hope ur ok.
Please post and reasssure us, and let us know how you're doing. :)
Jus

jameshallam

An old school friend of mine was diagnosed with T1 a year before I was (August 2008).
Last time I met up with him (Oct 2009), I had just been diagnosed and he told me he was able to control his blood sugar using only diet and exercise. He used to do this to the extremes, i.e. very few carbs, and only really low GI food (e.g. Rhy Bread) and exercising (running mainly) after every meal.

He said that the consultant and nurses couldn't figure out what was going on and that he was a medical anomaly! They did say he might not actually be T1, but apparently they were sure he wasn't T2, so something in the middle maybe? He thought he may still be honeymooning but the doctors said this was unlikely for some reason.

Anyway, I haven't heard from him in a while, and this was all a while ago. Obviously, I can't really comment on the accuracy of all of this as I'm not him and have only heard what he has said about it.

increasingly cynical

Dear James (Hallam),

Thank you for your helpful reply re your friend's experience. I no longer aim to control my diet as detailed records show that the correlation with carbs, fat etc. are minimal . although I intend to try again if I can figure out some pattern. I currently work 12-15 hours per day , 7 days per week. About 4-7 hours each day are heavily physical (carting hay bales up hills etc.) Maybe exercise is the key to 'odd' profiles, although I do find exercise sends my ketones up (maybe not that many people measure both ketones and glucose? Ketones are the thing which kills Type 1s, but the NHS aren't keen on people measuring them, so it is possible that Type 1s can get the BG thing out of proportion and assumethey are 'fine' just because the BGs are OK, whilst the ketones could be getting to dangerous levesl?

:|

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
increasingly cynical said:
Ketones are the thing which kills Type 1s, but the NHS aren't keen on people measuring them, so it is possible that Type 1s can get the BG thing out of proportion and assumethey are 'fine' just because the BGs are OK, whilst the ketones could be getting to dangerous levesl?

Hi ya, my ketones are monitored at my clinic/hospital appts? In fact, I make it my business to moitor my ketone levels myself, particularly if I happen to be under the weather! Every appt I have we discuss ketones and I am asked about my general health and if I have had ketones, it's talked about. Have you tried that perhaps? at your appts I mean, testing for ketones yourself and then raising your concerns? Could 'nudge' your DN or doc to keep a closer eye on them if you have concerns...personally, I couldn't care less whether the NHS are keen on monitoring ketones or not, it's my Diabetes, not theirs and I will keep as close an eye on my ketone levels as I want! (stamping feet!!) :lol:

jameshallam

I've got some ketone sticks, but they have never shown I have ever had ketones (I had +++ when i was first diagnosed and in hospital). They also don't look particularly accurate (you match the colour of the stick to a scale on the tub).

Is there a more accurate way of measuring them? (I mean at home, not at hospital or GPs etc)
I'd be interested to see if I have a small amount of ketones when im feeling ill (that may not be picked up by the sticks).

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
yes, with a ketone meter which is like your BG meter so you get (more) accurate readings. I got one with my pump but ask your DN to see if she can provide you with one??

increasingly cynical

I use ketostix currently, which are OK, but as my consultant pointed out, ketones in the urine show a 2-6 hour lag on ketones in the bloodstream (which are what affects you). My consultant suggested I get the NHS to agree to paying for strips for a meter which tests ketones in the blood at the same time as testing for BGs. My local NHS has agreed to this, but the problem is that the test strips are so expensive I feel guilty using them (they cost the NHS £20 per 10 strips!! Outrageous).

It is worth noting that ketoacidosis is what is likely to kill Type 1 diabetics and that , once you are a Type 1 , this is apparentyl not controlled by insulin, the best bet, according to my consultant is to constantly measure ketones and take electrolytes as soon as high ketones become apparent (but then the expensive strips are pretty critical). The available research supports this approach.

Interestingly, although deaths 'from' Type 1 are now only 25% (o.25%) of those before insulin became available, the stats do not compare very favourably with the significant decrease in other diseases over the same time period (e.g TB is now 0.005% of deaths prior to improving sanitation).

8)

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
could you please post a link to the available research? thanks :D

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd be interested in that research too... the stuff about death rates before and after the discovery of insulin.

Giraffe

I would like to know if anyone on this forum, type 1 or 2, has any experience of surviving without oxygen? I know there are seveal side effects related to the breathing of oxygen, such as staying alive.

I know doctors and health professionals will merely give me advice designed to save my life, but I am choosing to ignore them. They all have a secret agenda and want to kill us all.

So - I plan to stop breathing oxygen, anyone with me?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Giraffe said:
I would like to know if anyone on this forum, type 1 or 2, has any experience of surviving without oxygen? I know there are seveal side effects related to the breathing of oxygen, such as staying alive.

that just made me spit my coffee over my keyboard!! Naughty Giraffe :wink:

increasingly cynical

Of course, the available evidence to support use of oxygen is somewhat more robust than the available evidence to support the use of insulin for LADA. Vaguely entertaining, but sadly trivial and 'off post' reply I feel... I do begin to believe that I am posting to a rather 'religious' forum. Happy to post evidence, but DK how one attaches citations here, please advise.

Please note, I asked a genuine question and have received little other than insults and dogma... isn't this a bit sad? (Many thanks to the minority who tried to help and posted genuine replies)

moonstone

Why didn't you just start a thread entitled "LADA seeks advice" and ask nicely if anyone knew of any way that a LADA's remaining beta cell function could be extended as long as possible?

moonstone

And in answer to your very last question, it's the way you tell 'em IC................. you love it though, you really do, cos you did this on purpose, and it's been an education to see. I love watching master manipulators in action.

OH!! I forgot to say!! My goodness, how very stupid of me - how could I have forgotten?!! YES, it is believed in some quarters that there are ways to extend the life of the remaining beta cells in LADAs (not forever though, as I have once before pointed out - it's that dashed autoimmune attack that's the problem, hang it all).

Do you want to know what they think?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi IC, you still haven't posted a link to the research you have talked about? I am actually genuinely intrigued to read it so would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction, thanks :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
increasingly cynical said:
Happy to post evidence, but DK how one attaches citations here, please advise.
IC.
All you need to do is post a SHORT extract to whatever paper or study you are referring to, then copy the address bar link from that page, paste into your post and that is it. A clickable link to the paper you want us to read.

Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin

Any problems, pm me.

cugila
Forum Monitor