It was all blamed on my type1 diabetes.

Loppy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to Dr feeling very tired in early 2015, was diagnosed with aenemia and put on Folic tabs. I continued to feel beyond tired and lost blood from my rectum twice Dr took me off folic tabs and I was told to keep a tight reign on bs levels I went back a few more times with tiredness and weight loss.In November I went again feeling awful, I was examined and the Dr thought she could feel a mass in my pelvis and sent me for an ultrasound which was clear.At the beginning of December I felt very ill and phoned Dr I was very breathless Dr told me to come in I was sent to A& E where I was diagnosed with Sepsis and DKA.I spent a week in hospital and had a CT scan which showed I had colon cancer that had penetrated through to my uterus. I left hospital with an appointment to see colorectal consultant.A week after my discharge I did not feel too good and my speech was slurred.Went to two different Drs in early 2016 was told nothing was wrong.
Had major op in April, total hysterectomy cancer had spread to Fallopian tube plus the left ovary, also had part of my colon removed and an ileostomy created. In July the oncologist sent me to a neurologist as my speech was still slurred and in October I was diagnosed as having had a stroke, I am now on the waiting list to have speech therapy, having had slurred speech for a year, this too was put down to the diabetes when it first occurred.
The moral of all this is if you feel something is wrong keep on at your Dr and do not let them put it all down to your diabetes.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Loppy
thank you for sharing such a brave post = I totally agree with you that we need to push our medical people as much as we can -- they are busy and do not always act in an urgent manner.
I hope you are improving as each day goes by and are remaining positive .

Reactions: azure

Ange G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi loppy, I am so sorry that you have had a really bad run with your health. I too had complications which resulted in a hysterectomy at 37, and now this blinkin diabetes. Your words are strong and encouraging for others, stay bright, hope the worst is over and I wish you well.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The moral of all this is if you feel something is wrong keep on at your Dr and do not let them put it all down to your diabetes.
Very sorry to hear of the complications of a Dr who didn't come up with the correct answer straight away. The seven weeks that it took to diagnose my burst appendix and peritonitis pails into insignificance.
I feel that money is part of the problem and that whatever a GP does is tainted with "How much?"
My cousin had a stroke just over a year ago and in theory her "treatment" was complete last August, until I saw her at that time and suggested that she needed speech therapy and further help to improve her mobility (typical one side goes dead). I was pleased that some of her feisty ways returned and she had to shout to be heard.
I hope that your situation improves soon.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
dear Lobby such a terrible situation you have come in..... so sad to hear about all the complications and what you now have to endure...
can only send you my best hopes and love and a virtual hug..<3

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Lobby

I am so very sorry to hear of your health journey.

I too have had cancer. Its a cruel, horrible disease and I empathise totally. I was poisoned and apparently could have died from
poisoning after my radiotherapy.

I absolutely agree that we know our bodies. We know when theres something wrong. I phoned Oncologist on Friday and asked to see him. I spoke to him directly and he said "speak to my secretary on Monday", the Secretary said go to GP. On the Tuesday I was desperately, desperately ill. Poison fortunately found a way out through a stitch hole...and thats why I did not die. The Oncologist said "You did not sound ill on the phone"!!!!!

I also had very, very high B12 and folate levels that were very unusual as I had years previously been diagnosed with Pernicious Anaemia.

"An elevated vitamin B12 level can be a nonspecific indicator of several types of solid organ cancer. A June 2013 review article published in the "Quarterly Journal of Medicine" reported that high vitamin B12 levels most commonly occur with liver cancer. Other cancers that might cause an elevated B12 level include lung, breast, colon, stomach, pancreas, kidney and possibly prostate cancer. It is thought that excess production of vitamin B12 carrier proteins by the tumors is the primary culprit for elevated levels. With cancers involving the liver, there can also be a buildup of vitamin B12 in the blood due to decreased clearance by the diseased liver" quoted from livestrong.com

My cannulas in my skin also started failing, they still fail.

We know when we are ill. I so wish that GPs and doctors were more knowledgeable on recent findings/research etc.

I too had a lot of trouble on people blaming me for pump failures etc.. and still going through this with my tertiary care hospital.... I have to prove that things dont work again before they will believe me. They dont realuse that I desperately want something to work and that I loved my pump for 5 years.

Its a very, very hard journey. My complete and utter empathy to you.
I so understand where you are coming from.

Sometimes patients can blame everything on diabetes... but when Drs dont do the correct analysis etc and blame T1 it is not good.

Like you, I implore anybody.... you know your bodies...and diabetes is NOT responsible for everything...