Low carb and low fat simple 5.30am breakfast ideas!

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So my go-to breakfast before my 5.50am commute has been a peanut protein bar chopped up with a choc sauce (square dark choc, sweetener, double cream and butter melted together) - all very LCHF which has cured my T2 diabetes, and it works for me.

Now I've just come out of hospital with gall stones and they tell me I have to do low fat :-( since almost all my meals revolved around fat to get the HF bit in and keep my satisfied, what can I do.

I can't face significant cooking at that time of the morning, nor something really heavy, but I need something to keep me going until lunchtime. I have no cooking facilities at work either to do something when I get in. If I don't eat breakfast I am cranky and irritable and my stomach rumbles all morning if I don't have enough fat usually to fill me up, so I am clueless what I can do.

Any bright ideas??

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like prorein and veggies are your options, but i have to agree with you, without the fat I would be struggling not to be hungry. My body gets all sluggish and claggy with too much protein...

And how low is 'low'? I have heard/read that coconut butter is digested differently from other fats (mediun chain, aka MCTs) so you may find you can tolerate it better than other fats. That is just speculation, you would need to check it out for yourself.

If so, something like this might fill the gap...?
http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/03/06/grain-free-cinnamon-crunch/

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know, all I get is conflicting advice.
When the consultant came round yesterday morning she berated me for choosing scrambled eggs from the hospital menu as they were too high fat. I pointed out that everything else on the menu was high carb and I can't eat carbs. I got looked at funny, in that what the hell are you doing doing low carb thing, but she had waltzed off to the next victim before I could educate her and the 4 minions she came with! diabetic approved foods on the menu included white rolls and jam! They also served a sachet of sugar with the scrambled eggs, I think the person doing the trays was unable to realise that a plate of scrambled eggs did not need sugar as a side, especially as a diabetic! They didn't seem to care, only the night nurse ever checked my blood sugars, the day nurses didn't bother. I was fine, as I had barely eaten anything so my sugars weren't going to be high, but even so, you'd think they'd check, doesn't take much to do in a ward setting!
Mind you, what an obese breast surgeon really knows about the ins and ours of T2 diabetes, gall bladders and diet I don't know!
I think I want to try lower fat for the time being, until they can take my gall bladder out, I know I need to eat fat to keep it moving, but I have several stones, so don't want them to jam up and cause me too much pain.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Low fat causes gall stones. The problem is that once you have them then eating fat causes pain because the gall bladder contracts to release bile and the stones have blocked the duct. I hope you can get your gall bladder removed soon as it is immediate relief. One thing I was not told is that many people end up with chronic diarrhea when the gall bladder is removed and I am one of them. Hopefully you are not.

Reactions: ziggy_w

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Avocado / dark choc mousse? Yes its fat in the avocado but its "good" meditereanean fat??

If you are in hosp though, not a hope in hell unless someone can make it for you!!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Avocado / dark choc mousse? Yes its fat in the avocado but its "good" meditereanean fat??

If you are in hosp though, not a hope in hell unless someone can make it for you!!

I don't think your gall bladder knows the difference between plant fat and animal fat, though.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I know, all I get is conflicting advice.
When the consultant came round yesterday morning she berated me for choosing scrambled eggs from the hospital menu as they were too high fat. I pointed out that everything else on the menu was high carb and I can't eat carbs. I got looked at funny, in that what the hell are you doing doing low carb thing, but she had waltzed off to the next victim before I could educate her and the 4 minions she came with! diabetic approved foods on the menu included white rolls and jam! They also served a sachet of sugar with the scrambled eggs, I think the person doing the trays was unable to realise that a plate of scrambled eggs did not need sugar as a side, especially as a diabetic! They didn't seem to care, only the night nurse ever checked my blood sugars, the day nurses didn't bother. I was fine, as I had barely eaten anything so my sugars weren't going to be high, but even so, you'd think they'd check, doesn't take much to do in a ward setting!
Mind you, what an obese breast surgeon really knows about the ins and ours of T2 diabetes, gall bladders and diet I don't know!
I think I want to try lower fat for the time being, until they can take my gall bladder out, I know I need to eat fat to keep it moving, but I have several stones, so don't want them to jam up and cause me too much pain.

The hospital approved diet for diabetics here in Australia is probably the same as in the UK and USA.... just horrendous. Sugar and lots of starchy carbs, but I have never heard of sugar with scrambled eggs...lol.... good grief. They were good with checking bg levels here prior to meal times, but I had my own gear so it didn't really matter, but they should be checking. I also found I had to go to the cafeteria to get real food that wasn't just very low calorie, high sugar/carb. Not that the cafeteria isn't full of garbage either, but I was able to get a real meal of different meats, fish and vegies there.

I had my gall bladder removed about a year ago, due to stones in the bile duct. I was told to resume a normal diet post surgery, whatever a normal diet is I don't know. Opinion from one person to the next is often conflicting. I just try to consume a moderate amount of fat, with mostly healthy fats. It seems if I eat too much in the way of sat animal fat, dairy in particular, it upsets things. And maybe you might just have to figure out what is the right amount is for you. It doesn't sound like your doctor and her team know much if anything much at all about diet that people with diabetes follow... probably aren't many that do. I had once asked one of the minions on my doctors team about continuing to use a probiotic around surgery time and he said, "What's a probiotic?".... I said, "never mind, don't worry about it."