Metformin and Fluoxitine - do they mix?

Blert

Hi,

I have just gone onto metformin at 500mg, I am also taking fluoxitine at 40mg. Looking at the warnings for both on their respective advice sheets it is worrying to take either! Does anyone know if there are any problems with taking both these drugs together?

regards

Bob

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Cannot find any direct interaction between these two drugs but, as usual, you should discuss this fully with either your doctor or pharmacist if you have concerns.

Fluoxetine does list changes in blood sugars under possible side effects so this should be discussed as well.

banjo brunette

I've taken Metformin and Fluoxetine together during the dark winter months (most recently this year - a bad winter for SAD) with no problems. I take 2g of Metformin a day and I can't remember my Fluoxetine dose but I think it was a low one - one capsule a day... My Blood sugars have come down nicely too over the winter but I have been low-carbing too.

My experience has been pretty unproblematic -probably best to double-check with your GP to be on the safe side if you need reassurance though.

Cheers, BB :D