Diabetics shouldn't be allowed to get married

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurlito

Seriously, why jeopardize health of an innocent child? my parents weren't diabetic per se, and nobody had T1 diabetes in our family, but still I got diabetes at age of 16. I enjoyed chocolates, ice creams and cotton candies as a child, but I pity those who were exposed as a child, specially by maternal or paternal straight faulty genes, and I think that diabetics shouldn't be allowed to get married because of this.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's the most stupid thing I have heard for many a year! :evil:

Nigel

Aurlito

I'm a diabetic and, if hypothetically a rock hit my head and got married, I will adopt a child. I'm not committing a crime.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Aurlito said:
I'm a diabetic and, if hypothetically a rock hit my head and got married, I will adopt a child. I'm not committing a crime.

I would like to think that if a rock hit your head, it may knock some common sense into you! :D

May I remind you that there are members on this forum who have children, some are parents of children with diabetes, and we also have junior members who read all active topics such as this, and all will be deeply offended by your remarks, so please refrain from posting such nonsense again!

Nigel

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well said Nigel

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Aurlito said:
Seriously, why jeopardize health of an innocent child? my parents weren't diabetic per se, and nobody had T1 diabetes in our family, but still I got diabetes at age of 16. I enjoyed chocolates, ice creams and cotton candies as a child, but I pity those who were exposed as a child, specially by maternal or paternal straight faulty genes, and I think that diabetics shouldn't be allowed to get married because of this.

Just in case it had escaped your notice babies can be made without benefit of marriage! :roll:

The desire to procreate is as strong as the desire to live so any legislation or compulsion is a non-starter.

I don't think that is the point of your post though. I think that what you may be meaning is that if we have a faulty gene it is hard for the child to whom it is passed on so no-one should have any children if their genes are not perfect. That cancels us all out then!! :lol:

Mother Bear

Dislikes
Fatism, condescension, Narrow mindedness, cruelty and violence.
My father inlaw is type 1 and none of his 3 adult children have gotten type 1 from him. My sister inlaw did however get type 2 but that was from bad life style habbits.

A

Anonymous

This sort of thinking smacks of certain war time dictators.
We will never have a perfect genetic make up in the human race.
We are what we are because of this.

ShyGirl

Kill us all at diagnosis for having weak genes (T1'S) and bad lifestyles mixed with genes(T2's) and everything else.

I don't know why I bother coming online as too many posters on too many forums deserve to be kicked hard for being vile specimens of the human race.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello again ShyGirl. :)

Sorry you are having such a bad day. :( No point in feeding such trolls though. :roll: Ignore them! :D

Hope the sun is shining where you are, if so take yourself off for a walk as it will help. 8)

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everything I've read says type 1 diabetes isn't very inherited, and although there are more inherited factors for type 2 you can help reduce the chance of developing it by making sure you control your weight etc. It would certainly be very helpful for people to know if they have risk factors for type 2, so they could be very careful with their weight and what they eat. I think that it would be easier to eat healthily if you had been doing it all your life, rather than trying to start this at a later date having previously had a poor diet.

Anyway, what has marriage got to do with it? You seem to be arguing that people with diabetes shouldn't have children, but I don't get the connection with marriage? Did you have a very sheltered upbringing? Are you living in the past? You appear not to understand where babies come from, here is a website to help: http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthT ... 89&id=1613 You will see that marriage is not mentioned.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aurlito said:
I'm a diabetic and, if hypothetically a rock hit my head and got married, I will adopt a child. I'm not committing a crime

GRRRRRRRR! - that's all I'm going to say becasue this post offends me on so many levels and I'm already having a real tough day!!

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, I'm not sure I 100% disagree with eugenics.

If I knew had Huntington's disease (or some other very nasty untreatable inherited disease) for example, there is no way I would ever consider having children, I could never be that selfish, evil, could never hate my potential children that much. If I found out my parents knew (before I was born) they had such a disease, or knew they both where carriers for a recessive disease, I would publicly disown them and never ever speak to them again. I'm not saying a couple with such diseases shouldn't have children, they could adopt or use donor sperm or eggs to avoid passing on the disease.

But diabetes is on a slightly different scale from Huntington's etc. It doesn't have to be fatal, it can be treated.

Mother Bear

Dislikes
Fatism, condescension, Narrow mindedness, cruelty and violence.
I hope I didn't offend anyone when I said my sister in law's type 2 was from an unhealthy lifestyle, I only said this as I know her so well and I am in the same boat as her. We are both very over weight and ate all the wrong stuff. I know that there are plenty of type 2s out there that are very slim like my Godmother, she is like a stick. The point was that she nor her other siblings ever got type 1 from their father. So it isn't the rule that children WILL get what the parent has.

Also very few people even get married these days anyway, so what has that to do with having babies! :p

Also My best friend died of Cystic fibrosis and she got that gene from her parents. (They didn't know at the time) but she loved her life and we are all glad that she was born and a part of our lives.

kinkiepinkie

This is a stupid idea!!!! My mum has had diabetes since she was about 17 yrs old married when she was 18. She had 2 children and had no problems. Me her youngest has now got diabetes but i developed it through long term steroid use due to RA!!!! It doesn't matter if you have diabetes or not. What about people who have got other medical problems?

mayesnfarmer

Aurlito - how narrow minded. Like others have said, you dont have to be married to have a baby, not all married couples want children, some couples cant have a child naturally and what business is it of yours anyway! It's personal choice! My friend's father was born with spina bifida and was told not to have children, his wife has had 4 healthy children with no problems! As longs as you keep your diabetes well controlled a few months before and throughout the pregnancy then you are not putting yourself or the babies health/life at risk. Having diabetes is not the end of the world and not completely life threatening if you keep it under control, my friends mother has been type 1 since birth and is now in her 70's with NO complications and none of her children have diabetes. There are hundreds of health conditions out there that affect woman who have gone on to have children, why single out diabetics? If you are diabetic you are very bitter and have a strange way of thinking and if you are not - butt out of what does not concern you! :x

mayesnfarmer

Just read this again - was so annoyed that I didnt take it all in - you being diabetic should be ashamed of what you said, we are all entitled to our own opinion but you should never publish something like that on a forum, it is so offensive! I am a type 1 diabetic and DO plan of having my own child at some point and should not be denied this because I have an illness - which is well controlled may I add - I have spoken to the diabetic team at my hospital and they have advised me that my children will not necessarily develop it. You are obviously very bitter and blame your parents for this but your experience should not put others off and they should not be influenced by your beliefs! Its ok for anyone to get married! - if they have an illness and chose to have a baby then they should seek medical advice first and think very carefully.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's nonsense, No-one can predict which children will develop diabetes, even if Huntington's is predictable. However, It usually strikes AFTER child bearing age.
THere are loads of genetically mediated diseases. Do you propose that the whole population is screened for all of them?
I have a friend who is a carrier of the CF gene. BOTH her children are free of it.
CF= Cystic Fibrosis

JLowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being categorised with Type 2 diabetics
I have never heard anything so rediculous in all my life. I have been a Type 1 Diabetic for 41 years and have two healthy son's. I have been married for over 30 years.

I think you should take time and consider carefully how your comments may affect other people such as young diabetics who are just planning to start a relationship which may include having children.

It is not easy sometimes being a diabetic but I have seen so many advances in the care from the medical profession and there's always someone there to give you advice if you need it.

Jo

Status
Not open for further replies.