basal bolus or novomix ??

sian69

I have a 17 yr old daughter who has had diabetes for 16 years and has always been on Novomix... However; My youngets daughter aged 11, has just been diagnosed, and is on the basal bolus... Even though they told me that it was more flexible; I actually find the amount of injections actually more of a prob .... Im not sure whether to insist my younger daughter and elder on have the same ..... anyone in a similar position ? :?

leggott

Hi, my 2 children were diagnosed within a day of each last May. At the time they were both put on novomix. We found that it was extremely inflexible and found that we were always having to correct with novorapid for high readings and we were giving the novorapid if every they wanted something in between meals. We also found that they were having large snacks before bed time which was taking their blood readings up high overnight, which was something we wanted to avoid. We initally switched my son to basal/bolus as we wanted to get better control - which we have now got. My daughter seemed to get excellent control with the novomix but last Xmas we changed her because it was not as flexible. We were also encouraged by the hospital to changer her over as the basal/bolus regime mimics the way the pancreas works, so it should result in better control as well as greater flexiblity. In my opinion basal/bolus is much better and its probably better to go straight onto this rather than having to change down the line, and possibly coming up against some resistance from your child.
My kids find that having greater flexibility with what and when they eat has far outweighed the extra injections which they are used to. It is though down to personal choice and what is easier for you and your daughters is also a factor to take into account when making your decision.

sian69

Hmmmmm, pretty much what the nurse said.. I think its just that Im so used to the novomix its second nature to me... I bet you were totally gobsmacked when your children were diagnosed ! :shock:
I am going to stick with it, and totally retrain my brain I think.. I appreciate your words and advice..

jen1963

My son is 15 and diagnosed 6 weeks ago, although his blood reading is generally between 5 and 9 he is sticking to quite a limited diet as he prefers this.I feel this is restricting him so much though and if he does have a snack between meals they go up. I dont see how he can always have a good reading as its a see saw effect. Finding it very confusing. He is taking nova rapid and injecting 3 times a day and lantus in evening. CAn he only have two injections daily?

crushersmum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My son started on Novarapid & lantus aged 11 in 2006, it worked for 2 years until the hospital started worrying that his bms were WAY too high after school so they thought that he was skipping lunch time injections so put him onto novamix in 2008.
Then followed 2 years if total disaster when he was high for most of the time as the 2 a day was too inflexible for boys who don't get up for breakfast on time & eat extra snacks at bedtime, or just pizza with mates after school.

His HbA1C on the 4 a day had been 10 - on 2 a day it hit 14 & twice went off hte scale, but never dropped bellow 11. Affter a whole year pleading with the medical team to let him back onto the 4 a day, they6 finally relented & his HBA1 C dropped instantly and more importantly for us, he was nolonger sick all the time & nolonger high & a grumpy monster.
We have also discovered that the very high BM asfter school was nothing to do with missed injections (Which is why they refused to allow him back on to 4 a day) - just a problem with multiples fruit juices at school as part of his 5 a day! With nova rapid & lantus, he can now inject extra if he feels a fruit juice or two is essential to fit in with the crowd.