I realy need some help with type 1 teenage daughter.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Take a look at the diabete-ezy site. The one I have from there holds a meter, insulin, room for pen needles, lancers.

I have a plain holder and put some kid stickers on it. I can manage to keep some glucose powder and a few other things (like a mini torch) inside mine but it wouldn't be hard to put in a muesli bar or some other essential sweets.

If it looks too good you might find theft to be a problem. Quite a few teenagers get their meters pinched if they look too much like a mobile phone.

Having everything together does make life a bit easier.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
the best 'official diabetes' site I have found is pumpwearinc which is a US company but you can pay with a credit card (in USD) and they will ship over (at a cost!).They sell lots of adult products but honestly? I would just buy a pretty make up bag or a pencil case for her to use, something she could choose herself and make her own with stickers or stencils or whatever?! Also, makes it less 'medical' :D I used to use a leopard print make up bag which cost me £1 from Primark!! :lol: Now I have a little pink make up bag which cost me £2.50 from Tesco :wink: Good luck with it, keep me posted :D

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
I bought a fantastic bag in Ikea for £5, its meant as a toilettery bag but its fantastic for storing all Andrews bits and pieces, especially on holidays or long trips away from home. Theres room to slip a frio bag in, space for two bs testing kits in their own pouches, small tupperware tub of needles, extra testing strip tubs, basically everything one needs. It looks like a lunch bag, its so practical and isn't large and Andrew loves it. Plus going through airport security, everything was together.
Suzi x

crushersmum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I havbe a 15 yera old boy who spent 2 years going to Cahms to talk about " his problmes" they made the problem of diabetes dominate his life so much that a year ago he tried to kill himself....

At which point we said no more discussions about diabetes, no more child phychiatrist, no more councilliing - just unconditional love from parents and NEVER telling him off if he had hihg BMs or lied - just occasionally his dad telling him how sad he was if he told lies...

I gave up checking his meter daily - which had meant that he was trying to hide the evidence of high BMs by not testing & so getting his HBA1C off th3e scale ( ie 14+ for most of ast year). At first it was tough to not check - but once he was reasured that we were NOT watchin him all the time & it was HIS problem if he didn't test & felt ill, he started testing more & getting it right of his own accord.
My husband still reminds him to inject if he thinks he has missed an injection - but no telling off, just a reminder & giving him time & space to sort it out alone without losing his temper with "parents being on his back all the time". I try not to worry all the time as it was making him more stressed as everyone around was worried about him & if I can't stop worrying, I at least pretend in front of him that I am not worried & keep my fears to myself.

There is evidence that parents who worry make thier kids worse. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2010/Apr ... 67191.html there is also simlar evidence for adults that more worry & stress about the diabetes makes them worry more & eat more unhealthily.

Give up worrying, buy them chocolates & cake - just ensure that it is served with the main meal & shared with the whole family so the portiion sizes are reasonable & insulin is sufficient to cover it.
Chocolate eclairs have very low sugars & yet your kids will love you & think that you are nolonger focussing entirely on diabetes :D
Good luck - tough time 13-14 years - but by 15 1/2 my son finally began to come out the other side & this easter I bought him a chocolate egg ( last year he got a special thorntons diabetic one & hated it as he felt so different" & he didn't eat it, but melted it down for easter egg nests to share with the whole family - so he had far less of the sugar. give them the freedom to make their own mistakes & then the freedom to take control of their own body without having to rebel against the adults of the world & they will get through the rebellion far quicker.

pafandral

Wise words - I think I have many more worries over my son's diabetes than he does. I will try to hold my tongue...I will try to hold my tongue...I will try to hold my tongue.... :?

We are seing CAMHS just now over another long standing behaviour issue but they (therapists) always try to steer it back to diabetes and I'm just now wondering if it's helpful for me but not for him and we should just knock it on the head!

and thanks for the tip about chocolate eclairs! :D