High blood sugar in child

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Have you discussed this with your Diabetes care team, HCP's. Are you asking this question in general or are you concerned about a recent reading ?

Ken

tracyryman

She has had a few high levels of 22 or 21, followed by lots of lows. But I just would like to know what is considered a dangerously high level, as her diabetic nurse has told the school that if my daughter is 15 or over and feeling unwell they are to contact me.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It is when the levels are high AND she has ketones present in her urine that is dangerous, DKA, Diabetic Ketoacidosis.

Some of the symptoms of DKA can be any or all of the following, tiredness, excessive urination, thirst, stomach pains, nausea and vomiting, fruity breath odour, dry skin and mouth, flushed face, deep rapid breathing etc. That is a medical emergency and would mean A & E by the quickest means possible.

Conversely, when the blood sugar levels are way too low that too can quickly turn into an emergency if the proper remedy for a hypo is not given in time.

You should have been told the sort of levels that your daughter should try to maintain to avoid both circumstances.

Ken / Sue

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
4 - 8 is what its mean't to be. To help control diet plays a big role so try too get a set diet plan I know its hard for a youngster but when you know what insulin is required you can then build up from this.

~Hope this helps :)

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I'd want to know if Khaleb was above 15mmol and definitely want to be phoned ASAP if in the 20's. I can accept there are going to be figures between 10-15mmol at times but I try to keep Khaleb below 10 all the time. (Khaleb is 3 yrs old). Khaleb may have 1 or 2 slightly low readings a week (in the high 3's).

If your daughter is having lots of highs and lows do you have some idea what could be the cause? How long has your daughter had diabetes?

crushersmum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My son has had BMs of 48 when admitted to hosptial after a burger thing with friends... ( aged 13) - he was still not acidotic!. He has managed to get acidotic with much lower bm levels - 15 or 18 but with vomitting as well so dehydration added to the problem. not sure about younger kids - but if they look & feel fine, they are fine in the short term & extra insulin & lots of drinks to reduce the risk of ketones will help prevent problems. yes DKA is very serious but in my experience is preceaded by VERY obvious ill health too ( vomitting, feeling very sick, unable to walk due to tiredness & shortness of breath) so if it just high BMs - though it is bad long term, DKA takes many hours/days to set in & if you deal with the problem as soon as you recognise it, levels of up to 25 should not be serious.
Due to severe sweet eating problems last year, my son was given a target BM of trying to stay below 20 - he was not often managing that even! So if you can except that perfection is not going to happen & as long as you try your best 90% of the time & except a few days will be miles off target, your child will be much happier than one who is controlled so closely that they start rebelling as soon as they hit the teanage years. Below years the risk of DKA is much higher as they have smaller bodies, but as they get older they are more able to cope with higher food & higher insulin intake so the difference between good & bad days seems wider than ever.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I don't think I would ever be able to ignore bad health management in either of my children. Even on this site you read about many young adults who didn't look after their diabetes and have developed complications at fairly young ages. It is many years before the effects of high blood sugars are seen and some conditions are not reversible. DKA might not set in for many hours of high blood sugars but the long term problems are also of concern to me.