Type 2 Diet?

TP2125

My husband has T2 and although he is taking metformin the dr has told him to lose weight and change his diet (something I have been saying for a while). He needs to lose 3 stone in a year but the dr didn't give him any advice on what he should/shouldn't be eating.

I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to get him to stay on the straight and narrow, he permanently says he's hungry and he eats anything there is around (including lots of sweet stuff he also loves bread. He only eats veg if it's smothered in gravy or some other kind of sauce that I'm also sure must not be good for him.

Any ideas would be good as lowering his food intake is really difficult as once I go to bed on a night time he raids the cupboards.

Reactions: Prem51

azkuahmd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Read up the nutrition sciences of low carbohydrate high fat diet or see a lot of these topics in You tube. Also visit the website www. Dietdoctor.com. There are a lot of testimonies how to reverse diabetes. Good luck to you.

les74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's a real challenge to have to cope with T2 diagnosis and then have to make significant life style changes like cutting down on food you enjoy. I was diagnosed in June 2016 and chose to go on a low carb diet and re-join the gym. I've started swimming and used a personal trainer to get me motivated. I've never felt really hungry but have missed sweets and puddings. My reward was to lose 3.5 stones and reversed diabetes numbers to normal range. It really is worth it because the complications can be very serious. Good luck.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
My husband has T2 and although he is taking metformin the dr has told him to lose weight and change his diet (something I have been saying for a while). He needs to lose 3 stone in a year but the dr didn't give him any advice on what he should/shouldn't be eating.

Metformin will improve his insulin sensitivity but without lifestyle changes he may end up taking something to make his pancreas produce more insulin. Then further along the line there's injecting insulin. What the doctor has told him is pretty standard in that it's not a lot. Everybody seems to know sugar isn't a good idea if you're diabetic but what a lot of people don't realise is that carbohydrates aren't good either, simply because they turn to glucose in the body. A change of diet AND exercise are what's needed and as far as diet is concerned, as already suggested, cut the carbs. Most people will eat about 250 gms of carbs a day, I manage quite well between 40 gms and 80 gms. The interesting thing about cutting carbs is that a lot of people don't feel hungry as a result. When you say he needs to lose 3 stone in a year, may I suggest you concentrate on the 3 stone, setting time goals can lead to disappointment and a return to old eating habits which is what you have to avoid.

Personally I stopped eating bread/pasta/rice/potato and was able to stop taking two diabetic drugs (still on Metformin), I avoided going on insulin and my cholesterol dropped so much I stopped taking statins as well (3 years later and Total Cholesterol is still only 4). I also lost 4 1/2 stone, wish it were more, but it's a start.

I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to get him to stay on the straight and narrow, he permanently says he's hungry and he eats anything there is around (including lots of sweet stuff he also loves bread. He only eats veg if it's smothered in gravy or some other kind of sauce that I'm also sure must not be good for him.

It is my theory that most men (not all) have never really had to worry about what they eat, even though they should. Having to follow any sort of regime is totally alien to lots of men. Some would say that the cause of hunger is down to eating lots of carbs. There's 2 choices carry on as he is and watch his condition deteriorate along with all the horrible things people don't like to talk about or he can change his ways. Nobody says it's easy, but the satisfaction of having control over one's future health is enormous, well it is for me. As for gravy, there's probably some around that won't be too bad, just needs some research.

Any ideas would be good as lowering his food intake is really difficult as once I go to bed on a night time he raids the cupboards.

Again I can only talk from my experience, but basically, if it's not in the fridge, you can't eat it. There has to be some self discipline but it really comes down to 2 choices. Diabetes getting worse or having control over the condition.

I hope that's not too grim, there's every opportunity going to turn things around and possibly even manage without medication, what seems obvious is that his body isn't coping with the amount of carb that he presently eats.

Best Regards

Graham

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The carb munching craving is something many T2s experience. Think of it as an addiction, an actual chemical craving.
It is the reason that T2s want/need/overeat carbs, and it is the direct result of insulin resistance.
It is also almost impossible to fight, expecially late at night, ravenously hungry, with the prospect of going to bed on an empty stomach stretching ahead. Will power is something that wears out very quickly in such circumstances.

Please don't think that this is a matter of overcoming ordinary hunger. It isn't. This is HUNGER and CRAVING.

Different T2s experience these cravings to different extents, so I cannot say how badly your husband experiences them, but I know that at various times I have had what I can only call feeding frenzies. Usually when my blood glucose dips too low, and my body will eat anything, but craves carbs and sugar most of all. Yet if I follow a 'carb appropriate' diet (i.e. as few carbs as possible) then my appetite fades, the cravings disappear after a few days, and I am able to make conscious decisions about food choices, not driven by cravings.

My advice is to drastically change the diet you are giving him. Carbs and low fat eating actually set up a situation where the cravings are more likely. While low carb and higher fat help the cravings disappear, and in most people help weight loss by reducing appetite.

The www.dietdoctor.com website has a 2 week very low carb induction menu, with recipes, which is designed to reduce those terrible cravings

TP2125

Thank you so much for all your advice and I know from my own experience that you have a really hard job forcing change on someone else but he really doesn't seem to want to do it himself yet and both myself and my daughter fear it's going to end up with him in hospital before he realises this is serious.

He goes out to work at 6am and sometimes doesn't get home till after 6pm. He's a painter and decorator that works on new build houses so he's in his van slot travelling around the region. He takes an apple a special K bar and a yoghurt for his 10am bait and then a 2 slice (WM) bread sandwich with a packet either Quavers or watsits, an apple and a special K bar for 1pm. This is everyday, I have managed to lower his bread intake by 50% but telling him he has to lower his intake even more will be like me beating my head off a brick wall.

Are sweet potatoes as high in carbs as white potatoes?

Xxxcc

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but the dr didn't give him any advice on what he should/shouldn't be eating.
That's a good thing believe it or not!!

As other posters have said, the carb cravings are the No 1 issue. Low -Fat is 2nd in the hit parade of not-so-healthy food

You will find that FAT yes FAT, is your friend. This time last year I switched Carbs for Fat and dropped 6in off my waist and 32lb from the scales. Didn't weigh anything nor count the calories. For the first few days I went to bed early rather than raid the fridge and drank a bottle of sparkling water every day. Coming off carbs isn't easy, but the cravings diminish with every day.

The usual suspects are Bread, Beer, Pasta. Potatoes and Rice.
Apart from the beer, eaten on their own, none of them are particularly flavoursome. I would eat a pot of clotted cream over a boiled potato any day

Last edited:

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for all your advice and I know from my own experience that you have a really hard job forcing change on someone else but he really doesn't seem to want to do it himself yet and both myself and my daughter fear it's going to end up with him in hospital before he realises this is serious.

He goes out to work at 6am and sometimes doesn't get home till after 6pm. He's a painter and decorator that works on new build houses so he's in his van slot travelling around the region. He takes an apple a special K bar and a yoghurt for his 10am bait and then a 2 slice (WM) bread sandwich with a packet either Quavers or watsits, an apple and a special K bar for 1pm. This is everyday, I have managed to lower his bread intake by 50% but telling him he has to lower his intake even more will be like me beating my head off a brick wall.

Xxxcc
Make that yogurt a natural full fat one?
Switch quavers for pork scratchings?
If he must have bread try the Lidl high protein roll, very filling and lower carb than most breads
Special K bar? A packet of nuts ( not too big)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't predict success if you can't get his co-operation and it doesn't seem like you are going to get it any time soon. Have you got a meter? If you can get him to test his blood sugar so that he can see when it is high then he may take an interest.

Another thing that sometimes works is to explain the sort of damage he is doing. His sight is at risk as is his nervous system and when he starts going numb then this sort of thing happens.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...xNrRAhWmIsAKHROXCLkQ_AUICCgB&biw=1280&bih=649

I hope it doesn't put him off his Special K bar.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Assuming he isn't one of those people with a Leptin deficiency causing endless hunger, having enough fat and protein with the lower carbs will help. Most of these cereals bars are stuffed full of sugar or fructose so try to find some with lower levels. I have Irish Diet yogurts which have fruit but sweeteners rather than added sugar. So, look at the ingredients in what you buy him and discuss changes. Cheese, nuts and berries are good for snacking. What is in his sandwiches? I love tinned mackerel which is tasty, filling and healthy.

Reactions: Prem51 and zand

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
He sounds like me when I was diahgnosed.
If he's not ready to change, it'll be difficult.
The biggest danger is he'll simply stop at the shops, and buy the crisps and sandwiches in the day.
That applies whether you try low calorie, he'll top it up from the shop, or low carb highfat diet, he'll change it to high carb highfat.

I got referred through the NHS, to an NHS dietician, and working together, with a meter to see which food spiked me, keeping an honest food diary, counting the calories, eating low GI, low fat, eventually changed my eating habits, culminating in the Newcastle diet.
I also got referred to a gym, which I continued.
I managed to reverse my diabetes, and now eat a healthy Mediterranean diet.
But I wouldn't say it was easy to make the change I'm afraid.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

If you Google "sweet potato carbs" it says 20gms carb per 100 gms, "potato carbs" says 17gms carb per 100gms.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (apologies if it has) is a blood glucose meter, they're inexpensive but the cost of strips start to add up. Some type IIs get them on prescription, but not all. Whatever his doctor says, he'll need one. There's no way you can guess the effect of anything you eat, you have to test.

He goes out to work at 6am and sometimes doesn't get home till after 6pm. He's a painter and decorator that works on new build houses so he's in his van slot traveling around the region. He takes an apple a special K bar and a yoghurt for his 10am bait and then a 2 slice (WM) bread sandwich with a packet either Quavers or watsits, an apple and a special K bar for 1pm.

Tricky one, they need the energy and I have known several tradesmen over the years who have to pack it away because they do need the energy. If you fancied going to the expense of a FreeStyle Libre that would give you an excellent idea of his BG 24/7, every 15 minutes, could be invaluable. For example my BG doesn't move in the hours after I eat, but several hours later when I'm asleep and I wouldn't know that without the Libre. The only time my BG rises after food is after bread, 2 slices and up it goes. That is just me, it's important to remember that we are all different. We can generalise about everything but you really need a meter to see what's going on. As for the Special K, Quavers, Watsits, there are alternatives which might go down OK. Just Google "low carb snacks". I wish I hadn't because I've been tempted. LOL

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you Google "sweet potato carbs" it says 20gms carb per 100 gms, "potato carbs" says 17gms carb per 100gms.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (apologies if it has) is a blood glucose meter, they're inexpensive but the cost of strips start to add up. Some type IIs get them on prescription, but not all. Whatever his doctor says, he'll need one. There's no way you can guess the effect of anything you eat, you have to test.

Tricky one, they need the energy and I have known several tradesmen over the years who have to pack it away because they do need the energy. If you fancied going to the expense of a FreeStyle Libre that would give you an excellent idea of his BG 24/7, every 15 minutes, could be invaluable. For example my BG doesn't move in the hours after I eat, but several hours later when I'm asleep and I wouldn't know that without the Libre. The only time my BG rises after food is after bread, 2 slices and up it goes. That is just me, it's important to remember that we are all different. We can generalise about everything but you really need a meter to see what's going on. As for the Special K, Quavers, Watsits, there are alternatives which might go down OK. Just Google "low carb snacks". I wish I hadn't because I've been tempted. LOL

I found sweet potato was far better for me, as it was lower GI, higher fibre, and took longer to digest, and releases glucose more slowly, hence my insulin and insulin response could keep up with it, so the spike was a lot lower.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For bread, the Livlife from Waitrose, and Burgen soya and linseed had a better effect, and are smaller slices to most.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . .as it was lower GI, higher fibre, and took longer to digest,

Does the Glycemic Load still have an affect on the HbA1c though? I can see that a lower GI and slower digestion will smooth out a spike but not sure about HbA1c. My GP seems more concerned with that number than anything else.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Nasty and harsh, show him pictures of diabetic feet. Ask him if he wants to work healthy, because he can lose his eyesight. If he really can't be a***d to do anything there isn't really a lot you can do about it. But please don't nag him.
As the others have said change his food slowly.

Last edited:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Does the Glycemic Load still have an affect on the HbA1c though? I can see that a lower GI and slower digestion will smooth out a spike but not sure about HbA1c. My GP seems more concerned with that number than anything else.

I can deal with a slow release. Most T2's can, we still normally produce some insulin, and aren't entirely insulin resistant. So if you keep the increase at a low enough level, the body can deal with it. If you overload it with easily digested high GI food, then you see the rise in BG beyond which the body can't cope.
So it's not simply flattening out the spike for longer, as the spike never happens with low GI.
I found I became much less insulin resistant with exercise, and building muscle, which further overcomes the perceived difficulty.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition

Xxxcc

What he may not know is that if the metformin does not work because he is eating to many carbs the doctor will have no alternative but to put him on other medications that by law he will have to declare to dvlc and his vehicle insurance. Then he will have to test before every single journey and if his blood sugar is not within range he will not be allowed behind the wheel until it is. this will cause a lot of difficulty I imagine. Then there is retinopathy, although this can usually be alleviated with lazer surgery certain lazer surgeries lead to permanent loss of your driving license due to being left with tunnel vision. food for thought, pun intended.

charlie_farley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have always been weak willed and loved my sweet treats and Tea and Coffee with sugar you name it I ate it .It was the awful side affects of Metformin that caused a rethink(unexpected bowel movements). I was on 2 Metformin 4 Gliclacide 1 Lisnaprill and 1 Statin daily for about 6 years .I wanted to enjoy my retirement so at 66 I finally decided to make changes talking to my GP he recommended a sharp shock to begin a new eating habit he suggested a diet called lose a stone in a week (Google it).
In 1 week I lost 13lbs. I wont lie it was hard real hard but the result amazed me. After the week I went on the Low Carb diet Oh what a luxury that was 2 month later I agreed with my GP to give up all drugs and I have never looked back It is at least 10 years since I felt so good in 11 months past I have lost 4 stone and low carb is the only thing for me. Now let me say I did not give up my red wine at weekends (2 bottles) with meals or my 3 whiskey and soda.
This is my shopping unsweetened almond milk and Burgin bread avoid any thing that says diet or low fat.
Breakfast I have one bowl of Porridge with 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon cooked and cooled with almond milk topped with Blueberries. Lunch a sandwich on Burgin bread with any meat cheese salad filling Dinner is any meat any fish and loads of veg avoid too much root veg but turnip or swede is good a small snack before bed 2 slices of full fat cheese.
I take our Westie for a short walk each weekday morning that's all the exercise I do. Believe me if I can do it anyone can.
One last and must important thing USE THIS FORUM and the Low Carb forum these folks know a thing or two .Good luck to you and your husband.

TP2125

It's so confusing and complicated and yes of course everyone is different and reacts differently to foods. If you don't mind me asking are you a lover of vegetables?