mossy77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
type 2 insulin resistant causing high chelestrol

i got diagnosted a few years ago not took any meds for it wanted me on metformin but i insisted on diet

all was going well went from a 62 ac test to a 55 in the next 6 months but just lately past 5 months or so they think i have fibromialiga also have b12 and vit d defeientcy the reason im here is that i got proper stressed out with these body aches n no energy so i started to up my crbs again to try and get more energy then got kind of addicted to eating those taste nice things that aint no good my chelestrol was 44 when i was diagnosted with diabetes ive just had my 3rd diabetic 3 month bloods done to check other stuff too my chelestrol is 62 and there saying its at a dangerous level but they only have my overhall result not my ldl or hdl i think there called they want to put me on statins now also my 3 month diabetic test is at 70 and saying i should be on insulin but to try the metformin

what u guys think im just starting cutting the taste nice food out again have done a week so far do i take metformin and statins or try again

Last edited:

Confucius

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello @mossy77, what kind of diet had you been eating before you had to add more carbs? And what carbs did you add to your diet? I don't think adding carbs from lots of vegetables (non-starchy) and low GI foods would negatively affect your cholesterol levels. Maybe you can replace the carbs you currently eat with those fresh vegetables?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Personally for extra energy I would probably of added a little extra fats rather than carbs and given LCHF another go.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
my chelestrol was 44
my chelestrol is 62

I'm unsure of the units you're using for total cholesterol. I'm familiar with mmol/l which is what I see here in the UK and I understand that in Europe and the U.S. they use mg/dl

Cholesterol 5 mmol/l = 193 mg/dl
Cholesterol 3 mmol/l = 116 mg/dl

So, if you're using mmol/l then 44 is extremely high. I'm not aware of insulin resistance causing high cholesterol. My Insulin Resistance Index is 2.4 (meant to be < 1) and my Total Cholesterol is 4 mmol/l. I don't take statins any more and I know that my TC dropped substantially when I reduced my carb intake to between 40 gms and 80 gms per day.

I think if you are being advised to take Metformin then it is probably best to follow that advice. I can't comment on statins because that is a very personal choice, but cutting carbs will help lower TC levels.

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that cutting things like carbs and alcohol (if you drink any) will affect cholesterol, more than dietary fat does.

Can you get a breakdown of your cholesterol test? The test is usually broken down into HDL, LDL and Triglycerides. The breakdown is much more informative and helpful than the overall figure.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked your cholesterol results, and are you sure your figures are correct? Could they possibly have been 4.4 and 6.2? That would make more sense as I see from your profile you are in the UK.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure what the cholesterol figures of 44 & 70 relate to, next time you visit your surgery to have bloods taken ask for a full lipid breakdown (a full lipid cholesterol check is usually a fasting one but they will say if you need to fast), but here are the current NICE guidelines on cholesterol testing:

Blood fats (lipids)
Lipids are the cholesterol and triglycerides in your blood. Cholesterol is a type of fat found in all of us. You may be familiar with the term blood cholesterol, but what you may not know is that not all cholesterol is bad. Some of it, HDL (high density lipoprotein), can actually protect against heart disease. Low levels of this protective HDL cholesterol increase your risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD). However, LDL (low density lipoprotein) cholesterol is the bad form of cholesterol in the blood. Triglycerides are another type of fat in the blood. If you have raised cholesterol and raised triglycerides you have an increased risk of CVD.

• Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.
  • LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.
  • HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.
  • Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Managing-your-diabetes/Testing/

Reactions: Lorraine deer

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Have you checked your cholesterol results, and are you sure your figures are correct? Could they possibly have been 4.4 and 6.2? That would make more sense as I see from your profile you are in the UK.

I was kinda wondering if this is what was meant. And a total cholesterol of 6.2... well

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Given that the link between cholesterol and chd is weak at best and that the average total cholesterol of the population is 5.0, I'd love to see the science that dictates it should be at or below 4.0?.

Reactions: Gannet

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have implied, the cause of insulin resistance will be too many carbs so reduce those and increase proteins and fats to help you feel full. The main influencer of cholesterol is the liver rather than what you eat. The LDL, HDL and Trig ratios are more important than the total. It may be you need some statins but only if your ratios are not good enough. Insulin may not be ideal at this stage if you have excess weight and insulin resistance as you may already have too much insulin. Metformin is a good safe drug and the tablet of choice to help a bit with insulin resistance so do take it if offered.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
type 2 insulin resistant causing high chelestrol

i got diagnosted a few years ago not took any meds for it wanted me on metformin but i insisted on diet

all was going well went from a 62 ac test to a 55 in the next 6 months but just lately past 5 months or so they think i have fibromialiga also have b12 and vit d defeientcy the reason im here is that i got proper stressed out with these body aches n no energy so i started to up my crbs again to try and get more energy then got kind of addicted to eating those taste nice things that aint no good my chelestrol was 44 when i was diagnosted with diabetes ive just had my 3rd diabetic 3 month bloods done to check other stuff too my chelestrol is 62 and there saying its at a dangerous level but they only have my overhall result not my ldl or hdl i think there called they want to put me on statins now also my 3 month diabetic test is at 70 and saying i should be on insulin but to try the metformin

what u guys think im just starting cutting the taste nice food out again have done a week so far do i take metformin and statins or try again

well metformin only helps a little and you do need to get very low in carbs, like maybe under 80 grams of carbs a day, so your blood glucose comes down into a not unhealthy level like under 40

buy a meter to measure your blood gluose every morning just before eating anything... then you´ll get to know if you control your diabetes well or not or if you have to go even lower in carbs a day..

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
cheers for your replys i think it was 4.4 then now its 6.2 they wont do a breakdown to see what my hdl/ldl is :(

my HbA1c was at diagnosis 62 and 64 i had 2 within a moth of each other then it was 55 on the low carb the year after then this year its 70 higher than i was in first place since then ive been diagnosted with fibromyalia how ever its spelt it made me kinda depressed no engery body aches extra but before i was diagnosted i thought it was not getting enough enegy from the low carbs i was doing all good slow carbs so started eating junky fast carbs witch give me high bs and insolin resistance and bits of neropathy but i felt it got rid of the aches n low energy but infact things were masking each other

my chelestrol was 44 at diagnostic time of diabetis not sure if its 4.4 but is now 62 or 6.2 but as said they only do a total check not a break down :(

i have now been on the same diet i started with and feel a lot better not perfect because of the fibro but alot better than i did
but the nurse at doctors wants me on statins ive searched and it does say insulin resistance can be a cause of h/c and shes saying i should be on insolin at 70/7.0 but sugests i take the metformin i was told to take a few years previous witch i didnt i done the diet as im not one for poping pills if there is an alternative

my doctors is pretty hopeless takes ages to get and see them even tho i didnt take the m/f they still wont prescibe testing strips

cheers for replys what u think i should do take tabs or do what i was doing before there are loads of foods for chelestrol too

p.s i dont drink nothing i had quit smoking years ago but was so stessed out started 6 months ago :(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
cheers for your replys i think it was 4.4 then now its 6.2 they wont do a breakdown to see what my hdl/ldl is :(

my HbA1c was at diagnosis 62 and 64 i had 2 within a moth of each other then it was 55 on the low carb the year after then this year its 70 higher than i was in first place since then ive been diagnosted with fibromyalia how ever its spelt it made me kinda depressed no engery body aches extra but before i was diagnosted i thought it was not getting enough enegy from the low carbs i was doing all good slow carbs so started eating junky fast carbs witch give me high bs and insolin resistance and bits of neropathy but i felt it got rid of the aches n low energy but infact things were masking each other

my chelestrol was 44 at diagnostic time of diabetis not sure if its 4.4 but is now 62 or 6.2 but as said they only do a total check not a break down :(

i have now been on the same diet i started with and feel a lot better not perfect because of the fibro but alot better than i did
but the nurse at doctors wants me on statins ive searched and it does say insulin resistance can be a cause of h/c and shes saying i should be on insolin at 70/7.0 but sugests i take the metformin i was told to take a few years previous witch i didnt i done the diet as im not one for poping pills if there is an alternative

my doctors is pretty hopeless takes ages to get and see them even tho i didnt take the m/f they still wont prescibe testing strips

cheers for replys what u think i should do take tabs or do what i was doing before there are loads of foods for chelestrol too

p.s i dont drink nothing i had quit smoking years ago but was so stessed out started 6 months ago :(
You should refuse statins until they provide a lipids breakdown via a suitable blood test request. To ask you to go onto statins without that is very poor practice; the total value is not very useful despite NICE saying it is. My DN is very good and asks for a breakdown and we discuss the HDL/LDL/Trigs ratio and this all appears in my online medical history.

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
i asked about the break down but the nurse stated it costs too much for a break down the nhs wont fund it just a total test :( i have to see the doctor thursday so im gonna have it out with him not so good arging on a lady nurse

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well if they keep forcing ... one could take the blo...dy statins and then just not take them... if one just don´t want them and they keep trying to force them upon you

but the better strategy would be to go very low in carb eating and do more excercise and eat a lot of garlics and maybe take a spoon full of apple cider vinegar in water every evening and by those remedies lower ones cholesterol so low that statins is just not a subject anymore...

my GP was angry with me for not wanting to take statins, but then next time I had blood samples my cholesterol had lowered so much so it was not for discussion anymore

Last edited:

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
already back low carbing just had me tea skinned steamed chicken and loads of carrots brochlie and caulliflower

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carrots are fairly high in carbs. Also low carb 40-20g carbs not 80g as suggested above. Do you use myfitnesspal to count your macros? It's a good way to check what you are actually having. Good luck

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
carrots are on blood sugar i try everything low carbs are anything under 100g dependent on size of person and what there daily intake is everyone is different hun

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
i asked about the break down but the nurse stated it costs too much for a break down the nhs wont fund it just a total test :( i have to see the doctor thursday so im gonna have it out with him not so good arging on a lady nurse
I'm amazed that the nurse says that as my surgery has no problem with a breakdown test and many others on this forum have breakdown test results. My local Lloyds does these tests for £15. My wife just booked up and chose a morning time for it to be a fasting test.

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
i never even got asked to fast just had doctors today even he said they dont do a breakdown only a total check