Struggling with carb counting/eating/depression

Bev Oshea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cooking for one
Hi there everybody. I am feeling frustrated at the moment. I have been type 1 since December 2013, have done the DaFNE course and can't get my head around carb counting and my ratios as I work at different times of the day and it affects me differently.
Recently I had a really BAD hypo where I went down to 2.8 and almost collapsed. It took me an hour to get back to anywhere near normal and it scared me.

I know that being high all the time can affect my health in the future but I am scared of going hypo. I also live on my own and really don't feel like eating when I need to. Have downloaded lots of the recipe books from here and am going to try changing the amounts for one person. I suppose I'm feeling frustrated and just want a little rant and maybe some advice off you wonderful people out there. I also don't want to feel so alone with this awful disease.

Thanks for listening

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Bev Oshea
If your carb counting skills are not quite at the level you want , there is a great book that can assist you visually with getting close.
it is called Carbs and Cals -- link here -- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals-...=1-1-catcorr&keywords=carbs+and+cals+diabetes

My ratios vary throughout the day too , so I know this can be a source of frustration :(

another thing that might help is to spend a bit of time making a list of the carb counts of the most common meals that you cook , as once you have done this you won't have to re calculate or remember -- the list will do all the work .
In reality , most of us tend to stick to the same 20 - 25 meals.

you do have this wonderful forum to share , so hopefully that lessens the D loneliness a bit -- I know it does for me :)

all the best !!

Reactions: 2 people

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome to our forum.

The first thing that I want to remind you is that, there is someone in a hospital somewhere out there who is praying for the chance that you have in life.
Diabetes is a very difficult condition. But, it is manageable. And this is the most important thing.
It isn't easy but, there are worse things in life than this.

Most of us do not have a perfect handling of our diabetes. Only few people, who have been diabetics for years and have mastered the “trial and error” process have reached a point where they know exactly what they are doing and what works for them. For most of us, the management of our diabetes is a continuous work in progress.

You will read about people who have excellent blood glucose levels. Please, do not get too inspired to start doing what they are doing… these people may have a different (less active) lifestyle than yours or a more “predictable” and “co-operative” diabetes.

Regarding DAFNE, the course gives you certain guidelines. Some of them are applicable whereas others aren’t.
For example, in DAFNE course we are taught that we are not supposed to calculate protein or fat when we inject our Novorapid however, you will see that some diabetics do inject for protein/fat whereas others don't need to.
DAFNE says to inject prior your meal and eat immediately but, most diabetics give 20 minutes to their Novorapid before eating.
DAFNE says not to bolus for lentils, carrots, or grapefruit yet, many diabetics do whereas others don't need to.
According to DAFNE, if you have a yogurt you are supposed to bolus only for its carbohydrate content however, some diabetics bolus for its protein content as well whereas others don't have to.

DAFNE is a general guideline. It is only with time that you will find what works best for you.

Please do not feel frustrated regarding your diabetes as this is only the beginning. We will live together with our diabetes for the rest of our lives so, we need to have patience and a positive attitude. With time, things will fall into place and we will handle our diabetes correctly.

Give it time.

As for hypos, we are all afraid of them. I do not know of any diabetic who is comfortable with hypoglycemia.

I also live alone, just like you, so I prefer to keep my levels a little bit higher than the 5-7 target because, I do not like the possibility of waking up in the middle of the night, all alone, with a blood glucose level of 2.5…

I am not happy that I do this, I would certainly prefer to always be within target but, life is like this… We work, we are active every day, we are carers, we have responsibilities and life needs to go on and, sometimes, it is impossible to constantly run after a hypo at the bank, at work, during grocery shopping or when driving the kids to school. I am guessing that it would be easier to monitor and manage our diabetes if we were pensioners sitting on the couch all day watching telly and doing some gardening…

For me, the most important thing is to stay safe first.
It will be great if we reach 60 without any complications but, let’s just get there first.

Relax, stay away from the low numbers, stay safe and experiment with your food with safety (don't over-inject), monitor and check your levels often, keep in contact with your diabetes nurses and give it time.

You will learn.
We all are.

Stay strong. Stay positive.
Diabetes is our masterpiece; we need to edit often.
Regards
Josephine

P.S. Please check if you can have access to a continuous glucose monitor device like the Freestyle Libre. It will give you some peace of mind especially during these lonely evenings/nights or when exercising.

Last edited by a moderator:

bevoshea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everybody. Thank you for your encouraging words of wisdom and I'm starting to keep a diary to try and see a pattern for when I'm working, exercising, relaxing and trying to see what foods spikes my bg. I am also trying to be kind to myself too, as I can be my own worst critic. As for cooking for myself, I know I have to get used to it as there is no other choice, so am going to take half an hour to cook myself something once a day at least.
I'll keep you all updated and again thank you. :)

Reactions: 3 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find it can help having the same meal for a few days in a row - exactly the same so weigh things like pasta, etc. then you can perfect the dose for that meal. It saves time as we all tend to have the same meals from a selection of our favourites. If you can improve, say, your breakfast and lunch, then you'll have more than half the job done.

I've never done DAFNE. Don't let things get over complicated in your head. Take carb counting and adapt it to your life. That might mean having different ratios for different meals or on different days. Do what works for you :)

midschick1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been diagnosed for just over 2 months now. I have lost almost 2 stone in weight. I seem to have hit a brick wall and I am really struggling with diet and mood. I fell of the rails and now I am find it tough to get back on track. I am on antidepressants and finding my sleep pattern is non exsistant. Any ideas please xx

powerley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi i am a type 1 diabetic and have also done the dafne course. I work 12 hour shifts and have to work with two different ratios when i am in work i use a 1:1 ratio but on my days off i use a 1.5/1 ratio. i am not very well controlled but using the different ratios, makes me consistent i.e. equally bad reaadings whether i am in work or not.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi i am a type 1 diabetic and have also done the dafne course. I work 12 hour shifts and have to work with two different ratios when i am in work i use a 1:1 ratio but on my days off i use a 1.5/1 ratio. i am not very well controlled but using the different ratios, makes me consistent i.e. equally bad reaadings whether i am in work or not.

Have you got the book Think Like A Pancreas? It's a great book for Type 1s.

It seems from your other thread that some of your problems with highs might be due to injecting after you eat instead of before. Hopefully changing that and checking your basal and ratios will help you a lot.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Azure has hit the nail on the head.

Find a couple of breakfasts, perfect your carbs/insulin against it and the the same with lunch and dinner.

Then expand it by adding a meal, perfecting it with respect to insulin, and on and on.

I operate with 3 breakfasts that I know how much insulin to dose for... half a dozen lunches and a dozen dinners, add in some snacks and so on.

Then you can look at differing carb to insulin rates for different times of day... i.e. 1 unit of insulin works with 25 grams of carb for breakfast and lunch but it's 1 unit of insulin to 10 grams of carb for dinner, based on how active you are at different times of day!

Then you'll find that your basal changes due to your weight or the time of year and so on...

it's a never ending battle. However, using apps like myfitnesspal to calculate your carbs and mysugr to record carbs versus insulin, you'll have a record of how much insulin you need for a certain number of carbs...

It's a pain, but stick with it and steadily you'll gain control over it... I've had 3 consecutive annual HB1AC results of 5% doing it like this.

edit: I live alone... I'm confident , with a low HB1Ac that I won't hypo...

Grimm90999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I work at different times of the day and have had the same problems as you.
I work long days and also mixes of days and evening (work as a chef). Funnily enough not always finding time to eat when I need to.
I found that having a packet of malted milk biscuits hidden close to my station helped as a little pick up till I could get something to eat.
Also on days that I know I'm in alday (usually a 14 hour shift) I experimented with dropping 1 or 2 units off my lantus the night before just to keep the fasting numbers a little level during the day as working long durations of time in hot kitchens or under the heat lamps.

Carb counting is a chore to try and get right at first but it does come to you. Do you know you ratio of carbs per unit? Mine is 12.5g per unit so If at work I'm having a 50g lunch before a busy night shift it should be 4 units of novorapid, but I will drop one unit and then do my 2 hour check and see how my BG is and if under 8 will leave it at that as over the shift it gives me a couple of m/mols to drop and still be fine.

Hope this helps in some way and if you need any help with the carb counting please feel free to message me