According to my union rep.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You shouldn't test according to my union rep who has it. And type 2 is a lifestyle not an illness

I'm livid I am type 2 metformin same as the union rep. I have had grade 3 hypertension as well and been off work. She said she has high blood pressure too every diabetics gets it. Alarmingly management and her think only type 1 is an illness. And to quote union rep "he's heard the word diabetes and thinks he's diabetic" and type 2 is a lifestyle not an illness

I mentioned I tested she said type 2 shouldn't test how do you know right time to test it was going to say instructions but I couldn't be bothered with someone like that. And they've put me on metformin cos I'm overweight it makes you lose weight apparently I've lost 0.

Posts have been merged by Mod as posted in wrong thread
You are dealing with a complete imbecile.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No I bought my own meter just to keep track. The alarming thing is it seems like they are listening to the stigma that type 2s seem to deserve the condition
We all know that is complete claptrap.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is very wrong to say all Diabetics get high blood pressure - my bp has been perfect since I was diagnosed as Type 2 over 10 years ago.
Yes it is. I no longer have high bloody pressure.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Cdean8780. Like others have said your union rep needs to go and do some reasearch.

I was diagnosed after being ill off work for 3 months with a Kidney infection and 3 large stones. When I did my return to work with our occupational health she assessed me learnt of my Type 2 DB and was well clued up on in and told my boss I needed a 4 week phased return to work. She also quoted in caps in her letter please be advised Mr xxxxx is covered under the Diabetes and Equality act 2010. The company I work for is a massive multinational blue chip company and they don't take things lightly when it comes to law.

Here is a small quote from the act it's says Type 1 but apparently it applies to Type 2's also as we're all at different levels.

The Equality Act 2010 protects people with type 1 diabetes from discrimination at work, and requires an employer to make reasonable adjustments for disabled employees and job applicants who are disadvantaged as a result of their disability, like taking a short break to treat a hypo or check your blood glucose level.

Hope it helps get your union rep to read up and learn there role. There there to help and protect you.

@Voodoorising - To be fair, I believe that T2 is a bit of a muddy area when it comes to the Equality Act, with some challenges going to court for clarification. Again, I believe, employers are required to assess each individual on a case by case basis, as to be honest, people like myself certainly don't need any adjustments in order to manage my condition, but then I don't take insulin or other "heavy" meds, and although I do test, I don't see it ask something I require any thing special to do. Nor, thankfully, do I have any complications.

Those on insulin or other potentially aggressive blood sugar lowering medications, or with complications may require adjustments, depending upon their work environment and whether, for example, they are able to have their testing kit and other essentials close to hand on an ad hoc basis.

Many larger firms will err on the side of caution, rather than risk any potential for grievances or tribunal activity; due to a either a caring corporate culture or protection of their reputation as an employer.

I'm really very pleased that you are being very well looked after, and it would be so much better if all other employers adopted the same approach.

I really do hope you are able to find a way forward with all of this, @Cdean8780 . The stress of it all won't be helping you out too much.

Reactions: Voodoorising

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
And I would have told your union rep to stick her opinion up her A**s
It was a him - and I did say that he needs to educate himself before voicing an opinion.

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ andbreathe I fully agree with all you have said. We are all individual cases and as such should be assessed as such. Yes I am lucky but ax you say they err on the side of caution as they dont want the grievances or publicity.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There seems to be a bit of an issue with the treatment of some people with type 2 diabetes in the workplace and curiously it often involves a person in authority who happens also to have type 2 diabetes who translates his or her experience of the condition to be universal, whereas it can be very different, possibly more life-restricting for any particular individual.

Last edited:

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was a him - and I did say that he needs to educate himself before voicing an opinion.

In that case I would have included 'you are an ignorant 'T***' in my response to him. Such bad language I know but anybody that practically exclaims that this is a disease of choice, and he did mean that when he used the word 'lifestyle' as far as i'm concerned.

D

Deleted member 308541

Vote to get rid of your union rep / delegate at the next union meeting, then vote for someone that is not sucking up to the company.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Cdean8780 hello again. Are you going to respond to some of the replies on your thread? How are things now ?

Will 46

You shouldn't test according to my union rep who has it. And type 2 is a lifestyle not an illness

I'm livid I am type 2 metformin same as the union rep. I have had grade 3 hypertension as well and been off work. She said she has high blood pressure too every diabetics gets it. Alarmingly management and her think only type 1 is an illness. And to quote union rep "he's heard the word diabetes and thinks he's diabetic" and type 2 is a lifestyle not an illness

I mentioned I tested she said type 2 shouldn't test how do you know right time to test it was going to say instructions but I couldn't be bothered with someone like that. And they've put me on metformin cos I'm overweight it makes you lose weight apparently I've lost 0.
Absolutely agree with you , im on 4x500grm of Metformin a day (for over a year) and find i havent lost an ounze in weight and also my appetite since being on Metformin has increased dramatically ,i also take Rampril 5mg ,Bisoprol 2.5mg ,my blood pressure is very stable at 114/72
Posts have been merged by Mod as posted in wrong thread[/QUOTA