According to my union rep.

Cdean8780

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You shouldn't test according to my union rep who has it. And type 2 is a lifestyle not an illness

I'm livid I am type 2 metformin same as the union rep. I have had grade 3 hypertension as well and been off work. She said she has high blood pressure too every diabetics gets it. Alarmingly management and her think only type 1 is an illness. And to quote union rep "he's heard the word diabetes and thinks he's diabetic" and type 2 is a lifestyle not an illness

I mentioned I tested she said type 2 shouldn't test how do you know right time to test it was going to say instructions but I couldn't be bothered with someone like that. And they've put me on metformin cos I'm overweight it makes you lose weight apparently I've lost 0.

Posts have been merged by Mod as posted in wrong thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Granny_grump_

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You shouldn't test according to my union rep who has it. And type 2 is a lifestyle not an illness

Tell your union rep that she is
- an idiot
- an ignorant idiot
- someone who should rectify both things for the sake of her own future health
- a union rep, which entitles her to comment on work and union issues
- not a medical professional, so she is NOT entitled to comment on your health, lifestyle and diet

Having said that, unless you are under specific medical advice from your doc or consultant, then you probably aren't in a strong position to argue for special work breaks in order to test.

Edited to change sex of union rep :) cos i wrongly assumed he was male

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10

Cdean8780

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No I bought my own meter just to keep track. The alarming thing is it seems like they are listening to the stigma that type 2s seem to deserve the condition

Reactions: dbr10 and Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @Cdean8780 - I'm a type 1 interloper on this thread, but I would recommend for your union rep to have a look on this forum and a) realise that testing is pivotal to good diabetes control and management and b) quit making ignorant comments like the 'lifestyle' thing...

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

We like T1 interlopers. :) Especially when they talk sense. :D

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Cdean8780 reading your other post on the blood glucose thread can I ask if you were at a return to work meeting after a period of illness? And was the union rep there to represent you? Forgive me if I have got the wrong end of the stick.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Must be a union rep thing. Mine is a T1 who, while we were both waiting to support a T2 colleague at a disciplinary meeting concerning her not disclosing her diabetes, told me that T2s all 'bring it on themselves'. Idiot. When I told him that I am also T2 he told me that, had he known, he wouldn't have said what he did. Grrr

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin can help people lose weight by reducing their appetite, but just taking it and making no diet adjustment won't make any significant difference to weight, or indeed to blood sugar level either.

Type 2 diabetes is recognised to arise from a complex interaction of a number of genetic predispositions and trigger mechanisms - hardly a lifestyle choice.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whenever my doctors have had me on a diet and putting on weight - I am just so sensitive to carbs even 'healthy' ones, the only joy I had was watching their faces as they thought their blood pressure machines were broken.
The tablets did increase my lower pressure a bit - but it is now back to perfectly normal for someone much younger than me. Even when very diabetic and unmedicated my blood pressure was excellent.

Reactions: KezG

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I also hope this reps union knowledge is not as woeful as their medical knowledge, :banghead: bit of a pillock :bag:

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pshaw on the diabetes and blood pressure thing. My blood pressure is 110/70, which I do believe is excellent. (It probably shot up as I read what you wrote, though, and as a union rep myself, I blush in shame over the ignorance your rep is displaying.)

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
The union rep is an uninformed idiot. I just wonder how he'd perform in an IQ test ;)

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I'm livid I am type 2 metformin same as the union rep. I have had grade 3 hypertension as well and been off work. She said she has high blood pressure too every diabetics gets it. Alarmingly management and her think only type 1 is an illness. And to quote union rep "he's heard the word diabetes and thinks he's diabetic" and type 2 is a lifestyle not an illness

I mentioned I tested she said type 2 shouldn't test how do you know right time to test it was going to say instructions but I couldn't be bothered with someone like that. And they've put me on metformin cos I'm overweight it makes you lose weight apparently I've lost 0.

And I would have told your union rep to stick her opinion up her A**s

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I didn't know that union reps were also qualified medical experts....

rfmiles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people talking as fast as TV actors, newsgroup spammers
The union rep is an uninformed idiot. I just wonder how he'd perform in an IQ test ;)

Would that union rep qualify to join DENSA, if they ever get started? Maximum allowed IQ for members is 70.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming

It is very wrong to say all Diabetics get high blood pressure - my bp has been perfect since I was diagnosed as Type 2 over 10 years ago.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have also been type 2 for a very long time and the only problems I have had with blood pressure were because it was too low.

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Cdean8780. Like others have said your union rep needs to go and do some reasearch.

I was diagnosed after being ill off work for 3 months with a Kidney infection and 3 large stones. When I did my return to work with our occupational health she assessed me learnt of my Type 2 DB and was well clued up on in and told my boss I needed a 4 week phased return to work. She also quoted in caps in her letter please be advised Mr xxxxx is covered under the Diabetes and Equality act 2010. The company I work for is a massive multinational blue chip company and they don't take things lightly when it comes to law.

Here is a small quote from the act it's says Type 1 but apparently it applies to Type 2's also as we're all at different levels.

The Equality Act 2010 protects people with type 1 diabetes from discrimination at work, and requires an employer to make reasonable adjustments for disabled employees and job applicants who are disadvantaged as a result of their disability, like taking a short break to treat a hypo or check your blood glucose level.

Hope it helps get your union rep to read up and learn there role. There there to help and protect you.