Insulin stinging

ciara26

Hey,

Im on novarapid(4 units) 3 times a day and levemir 3 & 14 morning and night! Ivenoticed lately that both of them seem to be stinging when i inject. I though i might have had my fridge temp too high so i turned it down but that doesnt seem to have helped. Now its not every time in ject but mostly and it hurts.

Should i call my nurse and say it to her or am i overeacting?!

Thanks

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Do you take your insulin out of the fridge and inject straight away ?

Injecting cold insulin can be uncomfortable, so keep the insulin you are using at room temperature. It is generally safe to store insulin at room temperature for up to four weeks.

Please look at patient info leaflet and see what it says about your insulin.

There are maximum and minimum temperatures that it should be stored at, these will be on the leaflet.

ciara26

Thanks sue,

Im taking out my insulin about 10 to 20 mins before i use but its still happening and its painful. Il have a look at the leaflet.

Cheers

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Do you have an accurate thermometer in your fridge?

It may still be too cold even after 10-20 minutes.

Check with your DSN.

jopar

Both levimer and novarapid..

It's on the cartridges that waiting to be used that needs to be kept in the fridge, once the cartridge is in the pen, it's kept at room tempreture, as long as it's not in direct sunlight should be fine, unless it get unusual hot (not likely in the uk) then cooler place needed..

Another thing that may be a consideration, is have you changed the brand of needle you are using? Different brands even though will fit on the pens can have a slightly different point to the needle some are angled at the point others are straight cut... Sometime manufacturers use a different lubricant on the needle, both these as well as the length of needle can change the experience with injection..

I would check it out

Also double check your injecting technique, sometime this can alter either pinching too much or not enough might be worth getting your DN either to run through it again with you.

ciara26

Thnaks for the replies.

he thing that is bugging me, i havent changed anything different with my needles or insulin since i was diagnosed in feburary. I change te needle every time in inject and im still on the same brand and size of needle/ The stinging has only started in the last few weeks. Its getting more painful aswell.

It says on the leaflet to store between 2degrees and 8 degrees so my fridge temp is 4. Its reall baffling me. :?

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

Do you rotate your injection sites?

i'm a naughty one who tends to stick to the tummy area (comfiest place for me) and i find my insulin often stings if i inject near the same place. i also find that sometimes my background insulin can sting a little too.

I usually keep my insulin pens out the fridge ( a pen isn't enough to last 4 weeks for me)

But sometimes i have to take one straight out the fridge and it can sting when still cold so i try to warm it up rolling it between my hands and it usually does the trick :eek:)

Ask your DN for more possibilities as to why it could be stinging as i'm sure its quite a common problem and will probably have the most outrageous stories as to why it's happened to different people as most nurses do :eek:)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ciara26 said:
Thnaks for the replies.

he thing that is bugging me, i havent changed anything different with my needles or insulin since i was diagnosed in feburary. I change te needle every time in inject and im still on the same brand and size of needle/ The stinging has only started in the last few weeks. Its getting more painful aswell.

It says on the leaflet to store between 2degrees and 8 degrees so my fridge temp is 4. Its reall baffling me. :?

Once you begin using the Insulin it should not be kept in the fridge. Injecting cold insulin can be uncomfortable, so keep the insulin you are using at room temperature. It is generally safe to store insulin at room temperature for up to four weeks.

As Sue pointed out earlier, the Insulin should only be kept in the fridge prior to opening the package.
Store your spare insulin supplies in the fridge to keep it fresh.

Once it is opened and in use it is kept at room temperature only..........not between 2 - 8 deg, that is much too cold.

Don't expose insulin to strong light or heat, such as the sunlight in a car or the heat of a sauna. Insulin loses its effect when it is stored at temperatures above 25 -30°C (77°F-86°F).

If the problem persists peak to your Diabetes HCP for further advice about how to make your injections more comfortable.

Ken

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ciara26,

I too use to keep my insulin pen in the fridge, but after advice on here last year I now keep it at room temperature and do find that it is more comfortable to inject.

Just be aware, that insulin kept at room temperature will be slightly faster acting that cold insulin from the fridge, so be careful that you don't get caught out and test your bg's after every meal to spot any changes.

Regards

Nigel

SueB

I am using the same insulins as you are. I was told that once I had taken an insulin cartridge out of the fridge I should then keep it out, and use it for a maximum of 28 days. This way the insulin is kept at room temperature and it does not usually hurt to inject it . When I take it out on a very hot day I put it inside a small thermos to avoid any overheating. ( I tried a Frio bag but it went mouldy)
Like you I am on very low doses so my cartridge would last longer than the 28 days. I just put a label on the pen when I put it into the pen with the discard date written on it.
I had not realised that there was a different rate of uptake when it is at room temperature so thanks Ciara

Sue

sunflower333

Dislikes
Being Diabetic
i'm on novorapid and lantus solosar.

The novorapid is fine, but i often have a sting like a bee from the Lantus, i'm also on low doses and didn't realise you couldn't use after 28 days, i'm sure i use mine longer than that :?

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Sunflower
The reason you have a "sting like a bee" from Lantus, is due to it's high acidity; it has a PH of 4 on injection. Neutral PH is 7. Ouch! :evil:
Jus

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've noticed Lantus and Novorapid stinging occasionally. But it seems to be only sometimes. Guess it depends on the bit of flesh you're injecting into too - some can be really sensitive for no reason and then others I can't even feel the needle go in!

ako69uk

well i cant speak for anyone else but i find that if i rush the injection it burns and leaves a big bruse so try it very slow count every click slowly .i hope this helps good look.