Did I accidentally inject Lantus into a vein

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Steve14, there's been research into just how good we are as glucose monitors and the news on that front is that we are pretty rubbish. If you are going low at 3-3.5 hours after eating, then that usually indicates that you are taking too much insulin for the amount of carbs you are eating. Have you ever tested at 1 and 2 hours after eating? That will tell you whether you are really not seeing anything happening.

I strongly recommend you take a look at that course I posted, and test a bit more to understand what's really happening. You'll probably find you need to basal test and then reassess your bolus ratios.

Example: I wake up with a level of 5.5 and give myself 7-8 units and proceed to eat homemade gluten free, sugar free, CARB counted sandwiches with salamis. 2 hours afterwards I could be 10+, but then by 3 hours I feel severely hungry so I have a little kiwi or strawberry or blueberry mix while I wait for my lunch, and by the time I have lunch I could be below 5 and always feel the adrenaline kicking in to save me which fuels my anxiety even more.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So my question is - based on what I describe here, do you think I really injected Lantus into a vein? I inject into my stomach area as it is accessible and has more fat than my things. Has anything similar ever happened to anyone else here? And lastly is there a way to decrease the possibility something like this is going to happen?

I very much doubt you injected into a vein if your using a 4mm needle @broccoliSK

I wouldn't get too carried away about changing insulin's just yet unless the sudden onset of a hypo becomes a regular occurrence, I was on lantus from the very start up until 2 years ago and can only recall one such episode where I experienced the same as you.

Certainly mention it to your DSN/Consultant but it's a fact of life that hypo's can happen for no rhyme or reason.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Example: I wake up with a level of 5.5 and give myself 7-8 units and proceed to eat homemade gluten free, sugar free, CARB counted sandwiches with salamis. 2 hours afterwards I could be 10+, but then by 3 hours I feel severely hungry so I have a little kiwi or strawberry or blueberry mix while I wait for my lunch, and by the time I have lunch I could be below 5 and always feel the adrenaline kicking in to save me which fuels my anxiety even more.
WHen was the last time you checked that your basal and I:C ratios are correct?

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i've deliberately injected fast acting humalog into the viens in my arm (where people inject recreational drugs ). I have had diabetes for 40 years and although I don't do this all the time I have done this to reduce high blood sugars faster. It still takes quite some time for the insulin to start reducing the blood sugar although it is much faster than subcutaneously. I have never in 40 years accidentally injected into a vein, I would say it would be nearly impossible, although we are all built differently I wouldn't write it off completely.

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
WHen was the last time you checked that your basal and I:C ratios are correct?

Yes. When I eat my chicken and rice for lunch it is roughly 80 g of carbs. So I'd need 8 units, but I only give 4 or 5 (mostly 4). Why? Because I feel sick otherwise and gives me hypo.

On the other hand: found out that I'm already using the smallest needle there is. :inpain:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes. When I eat my chicken and rice for lunch it is roughly 80 g of carbs. So I'd need 8 units, but I only give 4 or 5 (mostly 4). Why? Because I feel sick otherwise and gives me hypo.

On the other hand: found out that I'm already using the smallest needle there is. :inpain:
That's not what I asked. When was the last time you did a basal test and checked all your ratios?

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's not what I asked. When was the last time you did a basal test and checked all your ratios?

I never checked it specifically. I used the following method to calculate it: TDD = Body weight (in lbs.) x 0.25 (or) Body weight (in Kg.) x 0.55

My TDD is 21 and I take a total of 15 units of fast acting-, and 7 units long acting insulin. I'll update this post after finishing the rest of the calculations. Everything varies independently of following the same routines, diets each day. I can wake up to 5.x and I can wake up to 8.x. Happens all the time. There is zero consistency.

Joe-10101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've never experienced a hypo after an event like that, however when injecting into my stomach area I have hit nerves a few times and even fainted very soon after-and I don't faint easily! If you didn't do any exercise during the day, and you got your nova rapid right then you must have hit a vein yeah

broccoliSK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@noblehead yeah the thing is that after being diagnosed with diabetes I developed anxiety and so being afraid of my basal insuling giving me hypos isn't the best thing for me (as it is for no one else I would say). I'll mention it to my doc and see what she thinks. I know the possibility of injecting insulin into a vein is small, it's just really scary when it happens.

@Steve14 I think you should definitely talk to your doctor about this if you haven't already. I have had diabetes for only a couple of months so I don't know that much about it and don't feel like I can give you good advice. One thing I can say though is that if you're feeling depressed and lost, definitely talk to someone, even on this forum. I myself am seeing a psychotherapist because of the anxiety I developed due to diabetes. Maybe you should try some form of therapy or counseling if you haven't already. There's nothing to be ashamed of!