Forxiga.. How Long???

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My blood sugars have been slowly rising since January and stated having real illness with Metformin which was changed to SR metformin. But levels still slowly rising, and after seeing my nurse it was decided to stop the Victoza and start Forxiga with the SR Metformin

I have to admit that I have not felt better than I do at the moment for many years. No lethergy, bright and happy, no nausea or other Metformin related problems. In fact I feel terrific..

But although I have only been on the Forxiga for a week, the sugars are still rising.. Morning now up to 17.6 from 16.2, and midday up to 14.5 from 12.6.
I have lost 7.5lb in weight in the last week, but no effect on levels ..

I presume the Forxiga is working as I am now entered in the Olympics for peeing, and the weight loss, but any idea on how soon before I might see the levels improve ???

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugars have been slowly rising since January and stated having real illness with Metformin which was changed to SR metformin. But levels still slowly rising, and after seeing my nurse it was decided to stop the Victoza and start Forxiga with the SR Metformin

I have to admit that I have not felt better than I do at the moment for many years. No lethergy, bright and happy, no nausea or other Metformin related problems. In fact I feel terrific..

But although I have only been on the Forxiga for a week, the sugars are still rising.. Morning now up to 17.6 from 16.2, and midday up to 14.5 from 12.6.
I have lost 7.5lb in weight in the last week, but no effect on levels ..

I presume the Forxiga is working as I am now entered in the Olympics for peeing, and the weight loss, but any idea on how soon before I might see the levels improve ???

Keep a very close eye on those blood numbers. In my view, they're all a bit high still. The rest of my post assumes you are eating just as you were before starting your new medication regime?

The way Forxiga works is to flush some of your sugar out of your body, via your wee. As you have only been using it for a week, your weight loss could be due to weeing more - a bit similarly to how, when we start dieting, we have an "impressive" weight loss in the first week or so, then it trails off a bit. That early weight loss is usually fluid. If you haven't increased your fluid intake, and are weeing more, it could be you have become a bit dehydrated? Many people find their blood numbers go up if they become dehydrated.

As you say you actually feel very well, in your shoes, I might try calling whomever I see for my diabetes (nurse/Doc/hospital), and just explain what's going on. For now I would stick with the tablets and see what happens for a few days longer. To reiterate, your new med works by pushing sugar out of your body via your wee, so you have to drink plenty to facilitate that.

When prescribed Forxiga, were you also given test strips to test for ketones (ideally to test finger prick bllod, but more usually urine sticks)? If not, you should ask your diabetes team for something as I understand you should be keeping an eye on those when taking Forxiga.

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Rarely see anyone about the Diabetes, apart from the annual blood test. Usually I send in a letter with a printout from the meter, the nurse at the surgery then consults with the "district diabetic nurse" and I then get a call from the surgery to tell me there is a prescription waiting for me in reception. and what to do. BS's still climbing slowly, now in the 18's first thing, drinking gallons, but the weeing is slowing down, and I have put back 2 of the 7lb i lost. Should I have changed my diet for this. I dont understand why I had to stop the Victoza. Been in the high teens now since before Christmas, nothing seems to work, and begining to have the occasional feeling down about nothing working.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rarely see anyone about the Diabetes, apart from the annual blood test. Usually I send in a letter with a printout from the meter, the nurse at the surgery then consults with the "district diabetic nurse" and I then get a call from the surgery to tell me there is a prescription waiting for me in reception. and what to do. BS's still climbing slowly, now in the 18's first thing, drinking gallons, but the weeing is slowing down, and I have put back 2 of the 7lb i lost. Should I have changed my diet for this. I dont understand why I had to stop the Victoza. Been in the high teens now since before Christmas, nothing seems to work, and begining to have the occasional feeling down about nothing working.

Greybags, I think the sensible thing to do is make contact with your Diabetes Team and report your feelings, along with your meter numbers. I've done a bit of reading on the drug you're using, but I have never used it, and judging by the number of responses, not too many forum users are familiar with it either.

It seems like you have a lot of questions you need answers to and in your shoes, I would want a face to face meeting with someone - even if it's your practise nurse - so that they know how you are feeling. The unanswered questions and rising numbers will be adding to your stress, which in turn can nagatively impact on the blood numbers!

Don't hang around. Make that appointment, and try to make it sooner rather than later.

Good luck with it all.

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would agree, but I dont have a Diabetes team, I do talk to my practice nurse who admits they are not diabetes trained, and just pass things on to the District Diabetes nurse who ever they are who will send a reply, and as it's not an emergency I have to see my own doctor who's next available appointment is 6-8 weeks away.. Sorry to say, but on here and my own research are about the only places some of us can get help.

louisetidy

Sorry to hear about your rising blood sugars :( I'm on victoza now for a few years and my sugars are also rising :( I started forxiga a few days ago .... I think they took you off the victoza because it's expensive over £2000 a year .... after my first 5mg forxiga tablet my sugars were down to 10 in the morning :) instead of 12 .... think you have to drink plenty to keep hydrated .... that is ridiculous that you have to wait 6 weeks to see a doctor

Reactions: greybags

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They have now stopped the Forxiga as it was having no effect on the sugar levels, but I did lose some weight, and spent a lot of time emptying the bladder. Now been on Bydureon for 6 weeks, and blood sugars now are down to the 8's which is a vast improvement on the 18-20's they were... Slight downside, I have put back some of the weight I lost, although today's weigh in showed it had started to drop again, so fingers crossed there..
Latest problem to materialise is the loss of movement of the fingers of my left hand. Been for Neurophysiology test, and it appears the nerves in my left arm have stopped sending signals to my left hand, so waiting to hear from the surgery as to what treatment may or may not be available...
Fun being diabetic isn't it :)

louisetidy

That's good you've got some different meds non insulin .. and good your sugars are down :) sorry yo hear about your hand :( I totally agree being a diabetic isn't fun ! It's a full time job for me trying to get sorted ...

louisetidy

Sometimes my fingers lock up and I can't open them for a few seconds ... is that same as what happened to your hands ? I've told the dr about it but they didn't even listen

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would ask for a fasting c-peptide test to see how much insulin you are producing. It may be that you need to go on insulin if you are not making much of your own. Forxiga has worked well for me and I have been on it for a year now but I have high insulin.

louisetidy

I asked my dr for that test 2 years ago and he refused I went on insulin once for a few months but I hated it ... I had a few lows each day and sugars were still high in the mornings .... also I put half a stone on in the first week ... after insulin I was put on victoza which has worked well for a few years .... now I've started forxiga ... I'm trying to put of insulin for as long as I can

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You can get a c-peptide test done privately. I am not in the UK so I do not know where to get it done or what it costs. Throwing oral medications at you blindly without knowing what your body is doing is not good practice and I would consider a new doctor or asking for a referral to an endocrinologist. I hope you can get it sorted out and feel better soon.

Reactions: Shas3

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@louisetidy and @greybags

Neither of you have mentioned what you eat, ie type of diet/foods etc. It seems that, as carbs are quickly turned into glucose once in the system, glucose levels rise, then fall, quite quickly. Therefore, one way to help stabilise and lower glucose levels is to reduce carbs, even to the point of almost no carbs in your diet (apart from what carbs are in veg etc), so no bread, no potatoes, no pasta/rice, no cakes/biscuits/pastry, no cereals/porridge/musueili etc. There is still a lot you can eat but of the protein and fat variety. This low carb eating will also help weight loss but without feeling hungry :)

Hope that may help you a bit in the food/glucose level direction :)

louisetidy

Yes I mostly only eat protein and veg but still had sugars of 12 in the mornings so that's why I started forxiga this week ... I think the sugar coming from my liver when I sleep ! The glucose that's stored in my liver .... I talked to dr but they haven't got a clue ...

Reactions: Shas3

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes the liver can turn excess protein into glucose but bear in mind that the body needs protein to survive. This is also the body's way of protecting itself from going too low. Sometimes the liver can be too helpful. You may want to up your fats and lower your protein a bit but I would not want to go much lower than about 70 grams protein a day. Bear in mind that protein foods like meat are not pure protein so you will have to read labels just like with carbs until you get an idea of what the right amount looks like. I am going to tag @daisy1 to send out her info pack. I do not know if you have read it yet but it is good info that all diabetics should read.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@greybags
Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.