Caffeine and Type 1

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know about your T1, but my Mum had to give up Caffeinated Coffee after a Thyroidectomy as it gave her palpitations but has been ok on decafe

Reactions: michita

MrsKilian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After a long time of trying to get to the bottom of awful control, I've figured out with CGM that strong coffee raises my blood sugar with rapid and extremely high spikes. (If I've had two cups, it raises up to 18) It happens with or without milk. It's definitely the coffee.

I'm yet to properly experiment with other caffeinated foods but tests this week show I'm getting a rapid but much smaller spike to about 8 or 9 after drinking Diet Coke. With the Diet Coke, my blood sugar then readjusts and falls again. Coffee much more problematic.

This could just be me. I've only been this drinking coffee for two years which has also coincided with an underactive thyroid diagnosis so I'm wondering if the caffeine causes insulin resistance in me, perhaps it is causing thyroxine resistance? My bet is now I've cut out the coffee, my next result will be over-active. I'll update this post when I know.

Needless to say, I've gone cold-turkey on my lovely coffee but I'm intrigued about what other effects there are out there on my blood sugar that I've not figured out yet.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Are there strange things doctors haven't told you about you've figured out yourself? I've got a couple of others but this one has really surprised me.
Sorry for you :-( I have two or three cups os coffe a day black and bitter so to say "plain" and have no effect on my BG. Anyway, you should give it up if it works for you in this way.

Reactions: London36_

bobneil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having a zero sugar energy drink later today. Good to know it will possibly change my sugars, I may post my results.

I should note I don't normally get any sort of boost or rush from caffeine. As such I do not drink coffee or any energy drinks but I am trying out this one because it was given to me by a coworker that didn't want it.

edit: Good news, it had zero effect on my sugars. Shame they're so pricey.

Last edited:

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Interesting - maybe connected to my thyroid issues (which in turn affect my blood sugar?!)

Cold turkey is going great for my blood sugars. Decaf not impacting upon them at all