Cold insulin

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi everyone can someone tell me why insulin stings when you inject straight from fridge as i found out yesterday lunch time forgot to get it out ouch.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This sounds obvious but I always thought it was just the coldness @Dairygrade

However, I do think some insulins sting more than others.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I always warm my cartridge in my hand for while if I've forgotten to take it out earlier.

hurf0rd

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
This sounds obvious but I always thought it was just the coldness @Dairygrade

However, I do think some insulins sting more than others.

The first insulin that I took, it had to be stored in the fridge and kept there in between doses.

This really only lasted a day or so while we were looking for an appropriate drug. Unfortunately I don't recall its stinginess.

The second drug, which I still take, needs to be stored in the fridge, but once opened, can just be stored in gresh air (each pen lasts me about half a week).

So there could well be something in what you say, @azure.

I must admit, though, I find a small amount of stinginess reassuring, because it tells me that everything went in ok.

Reactions: azure

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I never use cold insulin, as have been told not to by my nurse. I get it out earlier to get it to room temp. If i forget then i just warm it up quickly in my hand.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Thanks for the replys i do normally get it out just had an old age moment lol

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am not on insulin. Am type2 and inject victoza. I was advised to leave the victoza 15 minutes after taking it out of the fridge before injecting because of the stinging. So i would presume it would be the same for insulin thats kept in the fridge

Phil-86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone can someone tell me why insulin stings when you inject straight from fridge as i found out yesterday lunch time forgot to get it out ouch.
Depending on the insulin, I was told that it was because the insulin I use is acid based (Lantus) and this is the effect when cold.

I take mine out 6 hours before I need to first use it, then all is good to go

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Yes thanks for that i forgot to say i use lantus but it was Novo rapid that stung thanks.