Type 2 Life

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha ha @Liam1955 - I may have missed some relevant posts - but can't help but agree with the apparent obsession of some for consistent low readings!!

The ultra low carbers get me a bit too - let alone fasting. Surely anyone (like you and me at least) who are on insulin have to eat some carbs in the meals we take our injections to stop going way down low. Have to remember we are all same same but different!

Reactions: mo53 and Freema
D

debrasue

Hi :). @David_A_Hughes and @Freema each one of us are set different targets, some are set 4 to 8.5 or 4 to 9 after meals. I too take Insulin and Metformin and I attend the Hospital for my Diabetes Reviews, the Diabetologist that I see set my ranges: 4 to 7 before Meals and 2 hours after Meals no more than 10. So, anything that I get under 10 I am happy with. But, I do agree with You David - there are some on here who are somewhat a bit too obsessed with lower numbers. (brought this conversation over here, so as not to 'upset' the Fasting Thread) :)
I totally agree, William - we are all different.
I think the phrase "obsessed with lower numbers" might be a bit judgemental, though. For me personally, being diet-controlled, it's more about trying to be the best I can be, and working on the possibility of insurance against complications for the future.
I think the trick is to not let others' ranges and targets affect my own. I can offer happy support for other members or commiserate with them depending on their readings, but we are each upon our own journey and I can't afford to let others' perceived 'successes' or 'failures' rock my boat! xx
:)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
You are right @debrasue - Obsessed was a bit too strong. My Apologies Forum Members :) - I think the word should have been concerned about their own individual numbers/targets.
@SueNSW - I was told by the Diabetologist to take my divided doses of Insulin on a morning and evening, but to take all 4 = 2000mg of Metformin on an evening! My GP suggested 1000mg on a morning and the same amount in the evening, and this is what I am doing. :)

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I confess I do find all these figures confusing. Probably because I'm too lazy to find out about them all. However, my 10 point-something reading first thing this morning has, after a half hour fast cycle on my trainer, dropped to 7.6! I've still to eat breakfast (10.45am - yes, I am that lazy) but I'll check the BG again in an hour to see if I've maintained the lower figure. (assuming there's no cardiac arrest in the meantime).

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi :). @David_A_Hughes and @Freema each one of us are set different targets, some are set 4 to 8.5 or 4 to 9 after meals. I too take Insulin and Metformin and I attend the Hospital for my Diabetes Reviews, the Diabetologist that I see set my ranges: 4 to 7 before Meals and 2 hours after Meals no more than 10. So, anything that I get under 10 I am happy with. But, I do agree with You David - there are some on here who are somewhat a bit too obsessed with lower numbers. (brought this conversation over here, so as not to 'upset' the Fasting Thread) :)

yes you are right about that if one is on insuline it is not the lowest blood glucose one strives for all the time, but for all those that are not there yet it will be best to keep blood glucose at the low level so we do not have to take insuline eventually or get adding disease...I fully understand it is not for everybody to strive for the lowest at all times... of cause for me I am obsessed with what is the best for me... I use this focus to gather energy for my personal fight..

Last edited:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Testing/Checking our Blood Sugars throughout the day just tells me how good (or bad) my control is at that time. The HBA1C test tells me and my GP, Diabetologist just what tight control I have and if I can get it any lower for next time = my target set by the Professional's is 55 or lower? :)

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
May I join in this discussion. I was diagnosed in 2016 and put straight on to Metformin and statin meds. I carried on like this for 9.5yrs when my HbA1c went up to 58 and my DN recommended upping the dose of metformin which had a horrible effect on my insides. Looking online I found this forum and a whole new understanding of diabetes type 2. People were saying that diet could be more effective in treating my disease than medication, and might even reverse the progression of the diabetes thus hopefully avoiding associated diabetic complications. That's why I eat lchf whenever my other medical condition allows, exercise EVERY day and try to keep my blood glucose levels under 7.8 at all times. I don't always succeed but I'm fond of my eyesight and need my feet for all the walking I do, so I'm doing my bit, trying to keep good control by the method which I personally have found to be most successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I monitor my fbg every morning. The results I put in the fasting thread. What's the problem?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this is addressed to Vicky rather than me, Barbara, but I just wanted to offer you my sympathy and send you some big, squashy hugs. Hot flushes, no matter what the cause, are yucky and I really do feel for you.

I still get them from time to time, in spite of being told by my GP that at my age I should be well past all that. I also get a brief feeling of panic when they start, despite having been intimately acquainted with them for at least 20 years! The panic is transitory, though, and I have a big fan at the side of the bed, so I just toss the duvet off and turn the fan on full, and that usually resolves the problem fairly quickly.

I am definitely coming back as a man the next time!

xxx

[ irony on ]
Debrasue, I'm sure you will be delighted to hear that some women never actually complete their menopause. The passage of time means nothing if the hormones don't become post menopausal.
[ /irony off ]

I was told this, in passing, by an Endocrinologist, during a discussion about something else.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently dropped my Metformin from twice to once a day and two weeks ago I had an injection of HA and Kenalog in my right knee. I did read that the injection might raise blood sugars when I had my left knee done last December, but I had forgotten about it. I began to find my morning fasting sugars level rise from about 6.2 for about 5 days when it got to over 8.

I began to panick a little and thought it might be because of my lower dose of Metformin, so I started to take it twice a day again. The morning fasting blood sugars have gradually been dropping back and then when I read a recent thread on cortisone injections causing raised blood sugars for up to 2 weeks, I came to the conclusion that the knee injection may have been the culprit for the rising blood sugar levels.

During this time of elevated blood sugars I started to get pins and needles in my hands. This let to a concern about neuropathy, so I went out and bought some vitamin B12 and Alpha Lipoic Tablets. The first time I took a 300 mg ALA tablet, it was on an empty stomach and it made me feel very tired and gave me a bit of a headache. I had a lie down for 30 mins and then ate some lunch. After that I felt energised and full of beans. Subsequently, I only took ALA after a meal. It does lower blood sugar levels, so you have to be aware of that. ALA does also sharpen up your concentration and is good for clearing up "brain fog".

The pins and needle sensations in my hands have now subsided. Hopefully, if I keep blood sugars low, it won't get any worse. Once my fasting blood sugars get back to the 6.2 level I my try again to go to 1x500 Metformin and see if it makes a difference.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes.
Everyone is different and has different needs/goals.
I wish cynical people would find somewhere else to criticize their fellow man.
This forum has made it very very clear.
Support is all we are about and nothing more.
Well done to all who are fighting the fight!
Keep going!
Its not achieved when someone else thinks so, only when your happy to feel you've achieved YOUR best.

I don't compare myself to anyone. Just my previous best result. Anything better than that is a bonus!

Take care cynical, negative people. You will never be happy if your looking elsewhere other than yourself to do the hard work.
It has to come from YOU.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Good Morning, to all my lovely friends on Type 2 Life from PC No 1, a Public Computer, at Tate South Lambeth Public Library,

I am posting to inform you that, this morning, Saturday 18th March, in the Anno Domini Year of 2017, I consumed 1 tomato sandwich on crusty Sainsbury's Bloomer bread with Sesame Seeds on the crust and a mug of Coffee with a generous sprinkling of Sainsbury's Sucralose Granulated Sweetener. I also had a nice, warm shower, in my new bathroom, and felt cleansed, invigorated and refreshed afterwards. I speak to my elderly Daddy on the telephone this morning at 10:00 Ante Meridian (Greenwich Mean Time) and I take my medication and Lixisenatide Glucagon-Like Peptide 20 mcg subcutaneous injecten then, also.

I won't be able to log on tomorrow as the library is closed (Sunday 19th March 2017 AD.

Have a lovely day, and best wishes and big cuddles to all of you, especially my dear friend and good support Diamum (Barbara) who has been unwell presently. Don't worry, hun, I'm going to light a candle for you and pray for your healing. Thank you for being a good friend.

And blessings to you, lovely @debrasue for your cyberhug on my last post. I love you.

From,

Johnny Baker (@autisticwonder1970) sufferer of Asperger Syndrome and Personality Disorder NOS. x X x.
Thank you so much Johnny, that means a lot to me. I think you're doing an amazing job controlling your diabetes, and well done for giving up cigarettes. Sending you hugs xx

D

debrasue

[ irony on ]
Debrasue, I'm sure you will be delighted to hear that some women never actually complete their menopause. The passage of time means nothing if the hormones don't become post menopausal.
[ /irony off ]

I was told this, in passing, by an Endocrinologist, during a discussion about something else.
Really? I didn't know that. But it's very interesting, as it would certainly answer some questions for me! I can't say the prospect fills me with joy, though..... :(

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? I didn't know that. But it's very interesting, as it would certainly answer some questions for me! I can't say the prospect fills me with joy, though..... :(

Allegedly, it's unusual, but not so unusual either. It's a simple FSH hormone test, as a starting point, to identify the likelihood, although it's best to do the full lady hormone for a clearer picture.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are right @debrasue - Obsessed was a bit too strong. My Apologies Forum Members :) - I think the word should have been concerned about their own individual numbers/targets.
Guilty as charged. I have an addictive character, when I do something the only goal is perfection :( In the case of D a determination to prove a self centered Doctor wrong to boot!

D

debrasue

Allegedly, it's unusual, but not so unusual either. It's a simple FSH hormone test, as a starting point, to identify the likelihood, although it's best to do the full lady hormone for a clearer picture.
Yes, that makes sense, but in my case I think I'm better off not knowing for sure. At least then I can still cling on to a little hope that all this will end one day! :)

D

debrasue

Guilty as charged. I have an addictive character, when I do something the only goal is perfection :( In the case of D a determination to prove a self centered Doctor wrong to boot!
I totally agree with you about the doctor, and I also have to confess to being the same as far as goals are concerned. Unfortunately, as the years have gone by I have become only too aware of my limitations. That doesn't affect my need for perfection, though. It just means that I don't do things that I know I'm not going to be good at!! :wideyed: