habc1 - down to 5.5

cazzle

Hi Everybody,

Had my blood test results today, 6 months ago my habc1 was 6.8 and my cholesteral (can't spell!) was 6.2, they are now down to 5.5 and cholesteral is 4.4, does this mean my diabetes is improving ? l am on diet only and have lost 4 and a half stone since January 2nd this year, want to loose another 2 and a half stone... then the hard bit is maintaining it.

I have to admit l do find it hard with trying to et less sugar and carbs, as l love my granary bread, if l did stop my bread :-( would my habc1 go down even further.

Btw, l enjoy this forum and glad its around as it does help.

Many Thanks, Caz

badmedisin

Well, your HbA1c and cholesterol are better so that means your control is improving. Congratulations! You're doing very well I think. Your HbA1c is very good, maybe you can take it a little bit lower but not much really. Cholesterol is ok but could be a bit lower, they recommend 4 or less for diabetics or 5 for non-diabetics. But that's pretty good, especially combined with your weight loss.
If you gave up your bread your blood glucose would probably be reduced, and the HbA1c would reduce with it. Also lots of people find cutting out bread helps with weight loss. But with those results it doesn't sound like you really have to if you don't want to. I suppose it depends on whether you're feeling well generally or whether you think you'd feel healthier without the bread (or whether you'd just obsess over bread!)

Anyway, keep up the good work! :)

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Mine has been 5.5 last 2 tests down from an initial 5.8. I'm on diet/exercise only too and still have egg on toast (usually the M & S seeeded bread) in the morning a) because I like it and b) its filling and stops the feeling to snack before lunch, c) its nutritious.
I'm content to leave it at 5.5 at the moment. If I stopped the morning toast I dont think it would make a huge difference to my HbA1c. I havnt cut much out from my diet since diagnosed last year just very much smaller portions of carbs and switched to wholemeal varities & if I have any, brown rice. Virtually given up on pies, pastries, cakes and anything else using refined white flour and /or sugar. Still having meat, dairy products, wine, beer sometimes. Eat out now and then and choose carefully from the menu but much prefer to cook my own food from fresh ingredients so I know whats in it.
There probably is still a lot of scope to cut down my HbA1c but I enjoy my diet so for the time being I'm letting things be.

C

catherinecherub

Hi cazzle,
Congratulations on your new numbers. :D :D :D You have done really well and must be so proud of yourself.
Keep doing what you are doing, it is working for you.

Catherine.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Caz,

Those results are excellent considering you are diet only, I would be more than happy with a hba1c of 5.5, but it is entirely up to yourself whether you want to lower it further. As badmedism says, they do like cholesterol levels to be 4 or below in people with diabetes, but at 4.4 I don't think there are major concerns here, mine is 4.1 and my gp has not mentioned lowering it further or even statins.

Catherine (Catherinecherub) who is a member on the forum is also type 2 and diet controlled following the low-gi approach, and maintains a hba1c of 5.1 over the last couple of years, which again is a excellent result and I believe that Catherine, like you still enjoys a slice of bread or two.

Pleased you enjoy the forum, this place has and continues to be a source of information for those newly diagnosed and some 'oldies' like myself, who has lived far more years with diabetes than without, sharing experiences both good and bad is a great way of learning from one-another! :)

Nigel

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious
excellent well done you must be well chuffed hope can get mine down to that thats brilliant

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Well done. I have a similar story. HbA1c in February was 7.2 - had one done last month - was 5.8!!! Can't believe it. All down to Byetta and a new diet regime.

ally5555

Hi

those results are brilliant - well done.

I am a dietitian and always encourage a low GI diet, portion control and remove all the refined CHO ( unlike DMUK!) and find that I get results like these with my GP patients.

Keep it up

Allyx

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
cazzle said:
Hi Everybody,

Had my blood test results today, 6 months ago my habc1 was 6.8 and my cholesteral (can't spell!) was 6.2, they are now down to 5.5 and cholesteral is 4.4, does this mean my diabetes is improving ? l am on diet only and have lost 4 and a half stone since January 2nd this year, want to loose another 2 and a half stone... then the hard bit is maintaining it.

I have to admit l do find it hard with trying to et less sugar and carbs, as l love my granary bread, if l did stop my bread :-( would my habc1 go down even further.

Btw, l enjoy this forum and glad its around as it does help.

Many Thanks, Caz

Hi Caz. :)

Well done on the numbers and the weight loss too! 8)

To answer your question about the granary bread I expect the numbers probably would come down more but if you are happy where you are why would you want to wear sackcloth and ashes? :?

You could just keep an eye on things and keep testing and in that way you keep in reserve the ability to reduce the granary bread as extra ammunition in your fight against your condition in the future. :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Reading the above link it seems to be talking about raising recommendations for those T2's on insulin and insulin producing meds. Quote "The institute is ready to act after receiving stakeholder statements calling for the 7% target to be amended in light of study data linking intensive blood glucose control to hypoglycaemia and increased mortality.".

T2's who are diet controlled or who are controlled by diet and non insulin inducing meds don't have to worry about hypos so no need to run higher numbers.

When I was insulin controlled I returned an HB A1c of 5.1 and my DN quite correctly IMO told me in no uncertain words that I should reduce my insulin as I was getting too many readings in the low 5's and occasional 4's, I had not suffered any hypos for around 9 months but she said that I was at risk of loosing my hypo awareness by running such low numbers. I actually found it quite hard to increase my numbers as I had become slightly obsessed with getting the lowest readings I could.

My next Ac1 was 5.5 and I found that even such a small increase helped me feel more relaxed. I am lucky that I have now stopped taking insulin, after a 4 stone weight loss and coming off long term steroids, so no longer have to worry about hypo's at all. My latest Ac1 since being just diet and metf controlled is 5.7 which I am more than happy with and will not be looking to increase regardless of any new NICE recommendations

nmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, this is interesting, I only use Metformin and sensible eating to control my Type 2 Diabetes so I guess I have nothing to worry about re it being lower than 7.5%.

Synonym

Dislikes
nmc said:
Ok, this is interesting, I only use Metformin and sensible eating to control my Type 2 Diabetes so I guess I have nothing to worry about re it being lower than 7.5%.

On the contrary! :D 8)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been trying to follow this discussion but I dont understand synonyms last post .

Synonym

Dislikes
carty said:
I have been trying to follow this discussion but I dont understand synonyms last post .

Hi Carol

Perhaps I misread it but I thought the poster (nmc) before me was concerned about their BG levels going below 7.5 so I was just saying "On the contrary" ie below 7.5 is what you are aiming at really! Oh dear! :roll: Clearly I need my dinner! :lol:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dont worry it is probably me being thick :?
CAROL