Turns out I still have a kidney infection guys

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm sick of being ill! (Excuse the pun)
Went doctors and saw a really good doctor. He said basically all the other antibiotics I've been on, haven't been sensitive to my body. So now I'm finally on the right ones. Basically he said this infection has been lingering around since December! :(
Any tips of preventing this happening? I feel like ****.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sick of being ill! (Excuse the pun)
Went doctors and saw a really good doctor. He said basically all the other antibiotics I've been on, haven't been sensitive to my body. So now I'm finally on the right ones. Basically he said this infection has been lingering around since December! :(
Any tips of preventing this happening? I feel like ****.
I think what he said was that the BACTERIA causing your UTI isn't sensitive to the antibiotics you've taken. Remember when you originally posted I said there's 3 parts to a UA: dipstick, micro, and C&S? The C&S is "culture and sensitivity". They grow the bacteria in a petri dish on agar, and they drop little paper discs (like punch holes) containing a finite amount of various antibiotics commonly used to treat UTIs. Then when the bacteria grow they note how far away the bacterial layer stays from the various discs. The farther away they stay the more sensitive the bacteria is to that drug. Most UTIs are caused by gram negative cocci, the most common being E.Coli, and they usually start you on a drug that hits that one easily. But yours may have been different bacteria.

Reactions: Chloesnavy

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At least that's good news in a way because you have an explanation @Chloesnavy It would explain your continuing discomfort.

My tip is to take cranberry juice tablets. You can drink the juice if you prefer but I like the tablets as there are no carbs.

Another tip is to keep hydrated with water and don't drink too much coffee or alcohol.

Hope these antibiotics work. X

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lots of water. Cranberry juice in small amounts daily. Problem is it can cause erratic sugars unless you can bolus for it.
Hope you feel better soon.
Apparently cranberry juice tablets are available ( @azure you are a star )

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A urologist told me to take cranberry tablets to help prevent UTIs and that it wasn't an old wives tale. I did take them and the infections stopped. You should try them too.

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think what he said was that the BACTERIA causing your UTI isn't sensitive to the antibiotics you've taken. Remember when you originally posted I said there's 3 parts to a UA: dipstick, micro, and C&S? The C&S is "culture and sensitivity". They grow the bacteria in a petri dish on agar, and they drop little paper discs (like punch holes) containing a finite amount of various antibiotics commonly used to treat UTIs. Then when the bacteria grow they note how far away the bacterial layer stays from the various discs. The farther away they stay the more sensitive the bacteria is to that drug. Most UTIs are caused by gram negative cocci, the most common being E.Coli, and they usually start you on a drug that hits that one easily. But yours may have been different bacteria.

Yeah it is e.coli. Thank you. Didn't know all this. Here's hoping!

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A urologist told me to take cranberry tablets to help prevent UTIs and that it wasn't an old wives tale. I did take them and the infections stopped. You should try them too.

Interesting, I've never heard of these tablets before. I will definitely be buying some, thank you

Reactions: ickihun

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lots of water. Cranberry juice in small amounts daily. Problem is it can cause erratic sugars unless you can bolus for it.
Hope you feel better soon.
Apparently cranberry juice tablets are available ( @azure you are a star )

I drink lots of water anyway, but haven't heard of these cranberry tablets before! I will definitely be investing, thank you.

Reactions: ickihun

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
At least that's good news in a way because you have an explanation @Chloesnavy It would explain your continuing discomfort.

My tip is to take cranberry juice tablets. You can drink the juice if you prefer but I like the tablets as there are no carbs.

Another tip is to keep hydrated with water and don't drink too much coffee or alcohol.

Hope these antibiotics work. X

Thank you so much! Never heard of these tablets before but I'll definitely be getting some. Bored of being ill now! Haha

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you so much! Never heard of these tablets before but I'll definitely be getting some. Bored of being ill now! Haha

The brand I use are Power Health Cranberry Juice Concentrate Double strength. They're chewable.

There are other brands available but these work well for me and taste fine :)

Reactions: Chloesnavy

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just a note: some meds like warfarin don't like cranberry or grapefruit!

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sorry, have to be pedantic because I'm a microbiologist but E. coli is a Gram negative bacillus not a cocci.

It shouldn't have taken over three months to run an antibiotic sensitivity test, a week is more appropriate.

Hope now you're on the antibiotics it clears up. Make sure you follow the advice leaflet carefully i.e. if it says take 2 hours after food, make sure that you do as otherwise the antibiotics won't work properly.