Fed up

rebecca1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in October last year on return from my honeymoon, not the start to married life we'd planned! I had a few weeks off work (I'm a health care assistant at a GP surgery) and then returned to a very supportive workplace. My husband and parents are very supportive but i just feel overwhelmed with it all at the moment. I went through a short period when i actually felt confident but at the moment i just feel really anxious about everything and feel like i could cry all the time Just don't understand what I've done to deserve all this. Sorry for the moan!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You did nothing to deserve it, none of us did!
Feelings of frustration are common and natural.
Ask any questions and feel free to vent here.

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't ever feel you should apologise about having a moan about t1d - it's a huge change to take on board even with supportive family & workplace. Is there something specific that's made you feel anxious? Or is it just all of it - I'd say it's normal to find it a bit overwhelming - when I feel like that I try to just concentrate on some of the detail but not everything. Nobody deserves to get diabetes but it's best not to dwell on the unfairness but to concentrate on the fact it can be controlled so you can live a normal life. Sending a hug.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it feels like a curse to really many persons... :bored: but it will get easier to bear in time, sometimes after lots of grief too..
well the two types are very different , in my point of view the type 1 is much more scary because of the risk of hypos all the time... but some actually a lot of type 2´s also suffer so much...

all we can do is to do our best and that must be okay, and remember to be kind to ourselves too and forgiving when we fail once in a while and also let ourselves cry and mourn as we of cause need to too.. sometimes it helps me a little to think of those with much worse disease...and think well at least I can live with this and also get a relatively fine life along with it..

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the sugar club rebecca1985! Yes it's quite a shock isn't it? I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed but that's perfectly normal. It's a steep learning curve! You've come to the right place though! The folks on here are great and chock full of info! It gets less frightening but remains a challenge. Hang in there! X

rebecca1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you guys, Books1 i don't think anything specific has made me anxious i just feel like life is so abnormal at the moment and i don't really feel like me, i know I'll feel better with time but it's good to know it's normal to feel like this and I'm not alone!

Reactions: Books1

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @rebecca1985 You will experience a range of emotions as you go on, I felt exactly the same, i'd kind of lost my identity to some degree as I didn't know who I was anymore and was so reliant on just getting stable BG levels all the time. The anxious feeling will pass, but you do need to talk to those around you and explain how you feel, I also found by keeping more stable BG levels that my mood improved too, as fluctuating levels can affect how you feel. It will get better :)

rebecca1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello @rebecca1985 You will experience a range of emotions as you go on, I felt exactly the same, i'd kind of lost my identity to some degree as I didn't know who I was anymore and was so reliant on just getting stable BG levels all the time. The anxious feeling will pass, but you do need to talk to those around you and explain how you feel, I also found by keeping more stable BG levels that my mood improved too, as fluctuating levels can affect how you feel. It will get better :)
Thank you, i know you're right abouttalking to the people around me, i do talk to my husband but don't want to worry everyone that I'm not coping with it, as i think I'm coping pretty well really! Just feels so unfair that I'm having to ha ha!

Eliz76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in October last year on return from my honeymoon, not the start to married life we'd planned! I had a few weeks off work (I'm a health care assistant at a GP surgery) and then returned to a very supportive workplace. My husband and parents are very supportive but i just feel overwhelmed with it all at the moment. I went through a short period when i actually felt confident but at the moment i just feel really anxious about everything and feel like i could cry all the time Just don't understand what I've done to deserve all this. Sorry for the moan!
I feel your pain. You are not alone. I was diagnosed 10 years ago then a week later found out I was pregnant. It was a real shock but I did everything by the book and lucky all worked out fine with baby Now a healthy 9 year old. Then bam three months later I hit a wall. Why me? Stopped going out and was really anxious just the way you are now. Luckily I had a very good GP and he got me through. It's not easy and I am in awe of the people on this forum who cope day to day. Hang in there. I still get low points were I sort of have denial and eat everything in sight. Just remember you are not alone. I hope it gets easier for you.

D

Deleted member 391597

I can relate - I was diagnosed almost 4 weeks ago (6 months after having my first baby!) Still adjusting and some days feel optimistic and confident and other days just awful about it all. I think we'll always have up and down days but it's good to know we have a supportive forum like this where lots of people understand our daily struggles!

Reactions: rebecca1985

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What you'll find out is that diabetes is sort of a royal PIA, but unlike other chronic diseases it isn't painful. Over time the stuff you have to do will become more or less routine, will blend into your life. I was a similar age to you when I got it, was in the final year of medical training (my 9th), and I bet I've missed a total of 5-6 days of work because of it. And back then the meters were like in a briefcase, testing took about 2.5 minutes. And synthetic insulins weren't available yet (wasn't too long after). One thing I didn't do was tell people I had it which is a mistake. I was kind of ashamed, which is stupid. Tell people. Why? So if you start acting funny they can get you some juice. It still happens to me on occasion. I was on a video consult some time back and the medical assistant that operates the equipment said "Hey doc, I think you need some OJ". And he was right and I was fine.

Reactions: Sibyl

rebecca1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I feel your pain. You are not alone. I was diagnosed 10 years ago then a week later found out I was pregnant. It was a real shock but I did everything by the book and lucky all worked out fine with baby Now a healthy 9 year old. Then bam three months later I hit a wall. Why me? Stopped going out and was really anxious just the way you are now. Luckily I had a very good GP and he got me through. It's not easy and I am in awe of the people on this forum who cope day to day. Hang in there. I still get low points were I sort of have denial and eat everything in sight. Just remember you are not alone. I hope it gets easier for you.
Thank you. That's another thing that gets me down though, my consultant told me I can't get pregnant for at least a year. I've just got married and all i want is to be pregnant lol!