Skimmed milk

JenniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Depends on your belief in 'science'
I worked for a company that had free vended coffee.
And regular cholesterol checks for all employees.
Many of us smashed way through the ceiling on cholesterol after we drank free coffee continuously all day, as the white coffee was a coffee mate product.
So, we worked out it was the free vend of coffee mate that did us. (And it was continuous, literally)
We dumped it for black coffee, then management decided to charge us, and oddly enough, cholesterol dropped.

Some on here will never accept that could even be true, but either way, avoid coffee mate.
Enjoying being educated reading all these but hugely concerned as I tried the low carb high fat and my cholesterol went through the roof and doc told me to cut out fat altogether for couple of weeks and then go on LOW FAT doiet

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These are te ingredients for Coffeemate, taken from the Tescos website

Glucose Syrup, Palm Oil, Milk Proteins, Stabilisers (Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Sodium Citrate) , Acidity Regulator (Dipotassium Phosphate), Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Ester of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Anti-Caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide), Colour: Riboflavin

So the largest ingredient is glucose syrup.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
These are te ingredients for Coffeemate, taken from the Tescos website

Glucose Syrup, Palm Oil, Milk Proteins, Stabilisers (Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Sodium Citrate) , Acidity Regulator (Dipotassium Phosphate), Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Ester of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Anti-Caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide), Colour: Riboflavin

So the largest ingredient is glucose syrup.

Not in the 80s, and not when it's replaced black with two sugars, lol, nice though it is to imagine!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do the Atkins version of LCHF and my cholesterol went down and the numbers and ratios were good, even ideal.
I tend to eat animal fats from meat rather than dairy, though I have cream in my coffee it is not in large amounts and I go days without eating cheese. Cows milk products are not a natural part of the Human diet - it is a recent introduction, as are grains.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I do the Atkins version of LCHF and my cholesterol went down and the numbers and ratios were good, even ideal.
I tend to eat animal fats from meat rather than dairy, though I have cream in my coffee it is not in large amounts and I go days without eating cheese. Cows milk products are not a natural part of the Human diet - it is a recent introduction, as are grains.

Nah, animal milk goes back to neanderthal times.

S

serenity648

https://phys.org/news/2009-08-years-central-europe.html yep, only for the past 8,000 years or so.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Er - you think that there were domesticate milk animals 25,000 years ago?
Actual evidence of domesticated animals seems to go back about 7,000 years, but it is, or course, not possible to tell if they were milked or, indeed, milkable. Most of them seem to have horns on the front end and/or a mean old kick at the back.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Er - you think that there were domesticate milk animals 25,000 years ago?
Actual evidence of domesticated animals seems to go back about 7,000 years, but it is, or course, not possible to tell if they were milked or, indeed, milkable. Most of them seem to have horns on the front end and/or a mean old kick at the back.
Not if you hobble them, and really, you seriously think animals kept the pointy bits? Never seen a horn cup?
And livestock used to be bled, as well as milked.
Although, to be fair, human livestock was acceptable 25,000 years ago as well.
Mankind ate pretty much anything that didn't eat it first.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are cows and young cows part of the human diet?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP was asking about Skimmed Milk. It is a quite pathetic how the thread can disintegrate so quickly over 0.7g of Carbohydrate per 100ml.

If you think your BG control will be irreparably damaged by using Skimmed Milk in your Tea then I ...........................

Reactions: Pauntiep and ExD

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree. There are many many more foods more undesirable than skimmed milk. Use it if you want to - just not too much of it! and while we're at it, whu not eat low fat marg instead of butter, it won't kill you especially if you read the label and count the carbs in your daily allowance.
And test.
And anyway - who wants to look like a caveman?

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was a kid, I bought raw milk from a farmer, with a green two liter botlle, and I took the milk directly from the cow's titties. Didn't got any disease luckily, even if the barn wasn't HACCP/ISO9000 whateve compliant... ;-)
Nowadays I still sometimes buy raw milk wit an automatic raw milk booth like this. IT's way more creamy than store-bought whole milk, not to mention the skimmed milk.
By the way if you have raw mikl is easy to get semi-skimmed milk and cream separated if you really want. But raw cow milk is WAY better than the one from the mall, not to mention the processed ones...