Carbs

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Hm, I would guess that once you are prone to T2 diabetes that your diet up till you were diagnosed had helped bring you to that point in time, so if you were to return to your previous lifestyle the probability is that you could end up in the same position again, at some point in the future.

Just be sensible with carbs and keep testing occasionally just to check that all is still well and remember you have had a warning, what you do with it and what happens with your future health is in your hands.

Wishing you good health and low numbers, always.

Reactions: grante

Hm112819

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I completely agree on the return to old habits. When I look back I was obese and eating to excess, with little to no exercise.

Whilst I have reintroduced carbs, the portion size has been considerably smaller, in addition I'm not eating deserts or drinking beer etc. + I'm (if the machines are to be believed) excercisng 800-1000 calories a day.

My thoughts at the moment are to eat a healthy diet (but not load up on carbs) test myself then reduce carbs if they start to spike my blood sugars.

RE - the other test, can I do this with a normal blood glucose monitor.

+ I ate curry with rice last night, the BG where 4.4 before hand, 6.8 30 minutes afterwards (I had to nip out for an hour, so couldn't test 1 hour afterwards), 4.8 90 minutes, 4.6 120 minutes. Not to sure if the 6.8 is an issue?

Once again I appreciate all feedback/help.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With rice 6.8 at 30 minutes is good - I just don't go there. Firstly I avoid all grains as 30 minutes after I'd be in double figures for BG. I checked - one tablespoon of cooked rice was the same rise as a whole meal.
I think I am just really sensitive to high carb foods, but as long as my indulgences are under 20 percent and my everyday foods 10 or less, I do well. It is knowing how we react that is the key to having control. 'Healthy' doesn't come in to it, really - what I need is food that is survivable.

Reactions: TooManyCrisps

Hm112819

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sorry your correct, what I meant was a diet primarily that keeps BG under control. The balanced side is more to maintain weight.