My new diet sheet - comments please

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
My weight stalled went to the dietician and she said it could be down to plate size and i also eat chips a few times a week.

So I have started to put together a diet sheet and will test after every meal to see how it effects me - but initially can you see anything that I should leave alone?

I could also do with some additional ideas for lunches and teas, I'm allergic to fish and cream and love pasta/potatoes and rice so wouldnt want to cut these out although definitely will be reducing them.

Any advice would be greatfully received as I need to get rid of this weight - thanks.
I also only have a small food budget as my hubbie is struggling to find work hes self employed.
Monday
Breakfast – 3 tablespoons - Oat based cereal plus 1/3 pint of semi skimmed milk and a cup of tea/white.

Lunch - Jacket potato ( medium size) with low fat cottage cheese and pineapple

Tea - Spagetti bolognaise using low fat steak mince peppers/mushrooms/onions/carrots with 2oz of pasta

Pre lunch and pre Tea Snack - Fruit - could consist of any of the following apple/nectarine/kiwi fruit/Orange

Additional drinks - 3 cups of tea/white

Tuesday
Breakfast - 3 Tablespoons of porridge oats - 1/3 pint of liquid half water and half
skimmed milk and a cup of tea/white

Lunch - 3 tablespoons of Tesco low fat beans and 1 slice of Tesco brown bread and cup of tea/white

Tea - Chicken dish includes onion/garlic/150ml cider/crème fresh 200g/mushrooms/pepper - and side vegetables ( cauliflower/carrots and broccoli)

Pre lunch and pre Tea Snack - Fruit - could consist of any of the following apple/nectarine/kiwi fruit/orange

Wednesday
Breakfast - 1 slice of Tesco medium sliced brown bread and low fat omega marg and a cup of tea/white

Lunch -

Tea - Hotpot includes low fat stewing steak/carrots/onion/turnip/swede/2 medium potatoes and a cup of tea/white

Pre lunch and pre Tea Snack - Fruit - could consist of any of the following apple/nectarine/kiwi fruit/orange

Thursday
Breakfast – 3 tablespoons of Oat based cereal plus 1/3 pint of semi skimmed milk and a cup of tea/white.

Lunch - Sliced egg and beetroot sandwich with low fat salad cream on a brown barm cake and a cup of tea/white

Tea - Mushroom and onion home made soup – consist of mushrooms/garlic/vegetable stock/onions/crème fresh 200g with mashed cauliflower on the side and a cup of tea/white

Friday
Breakfast - 3 Tablespoons of porridge oats - 1/3 pint of liquid half water and half skimmed milk and a cup of tea/white

Lunch – Mashed cauliflower and tomatoes/mushrooms

Tea – Vegetable stirfry - garlic mushrooms/peppers/onion/bean sprouts and a 2oz piece of chicken grilled

Saturday
Breakfast – 3 tablespoons - Oat based cereal plus 1/3 pint of semi skimmed milk and a cup of tea/white.

Lunch - TBC

Tea - TBC

Pre lunch and pre Tea Snack - Fruit - could consist of any of the following apple/nectarine/kiwi fruit

Sunday
Breakfast - 1 egg scrambled 1 grilled tomatoe on 1 slice of brown bread and a cup of tea/white

Lunch - TBC

Tea - TBC

Pre lunch and pre Tea Snack - Fruit - could consist of any of the following apple/nectarine/kiwi fruit

Update: 26/07/2010
Well started recording my levels properly today so see if my new diet sheet works.

So far so good but we'll see how the rest of the week pans out so heres were I am so far and I'll add the weight loss at the end of the week as well ( if any lol) .

Monday
Breakfast - 2 x slices brown bread - 2 hours after meal 4.2
Lunch - Home made mushroom soup - 2 hours after meal 5.1

jane22

Hi janieb. I am definately no expert and we are all so different but for me there would be too many carbs and at times too much food for me to be able to lose weight. When it comes to the breakfast scrambled eggs I would have 1 egg and 1 slice of bread and add a grilled tomato. I would never have more than 1 slice of bread in any meal and if I have to eat a sandwich I make it an open sandwich with loads of salad. Have you tried Burgen bread as it is lower than most for carbs. I find cauliflower very good and mashed with a small blob of butter can make a good substitute for potatoes. I very often have it for lunch with a slice of cold meat and it is very filling. I also have cauliflower cheese but instead of making the cheese sauce I just pop it in the oven with a sprinkling of grated cheese and slices of tomato. My non diabetic and slim hubbie has much the same as me but just more of it.

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Hi Janieb , I only have two slices of Burgen bread per day and apart from these, very little else in the way of carbs . I`ve got used to having curry without rice and bolognese without the spaghetti , just very ocassionally I`ll have one new potato , I eat loads of veg and salad , chicken and home cooked ham . Everyone is different and for some, a low carb diet is hard or just not what they want but if I ate the carbs you eat , my BG would be sky high ! We`re also on a tight budget but our regime is manageable . There are lots of recipes on this website that may help you , I`ve lost 4 stones since last December, so it can be done , good luck !

anniep

I too cannot eat the carbs that you do, I especially can't eat them in the morning, but my body also reacts differently to potatoes than it does to wheat.

If I eat wheat, even a small slice of bread, it raises my BG dramatically but I can eat a small jacket potatoes without drastic effects.

Wheat also bloats me, and I am also veggie so can't say how the meat thing works for loosing weight. But since I have stopped eating the wheat based carbs (and I love bread and pasta too) My Bg and my weight have dropped.

I don't own any scales so can't say how much weight I have lost, but many of my clothes are now too big to wear as I have dropped 2 dress sizes.

I have the eggs for breakfast but without the toast, I will eat baked beans for lunch (not breakfast) not on toast but with quorn sausages, and lots of substantial home made soups. When I find a meal not filling enough without the bread I add a handful of grated cheese which makes it more substantial and filling for longer.

When I want a snack I eat nuts, fruit while healthy is something else that does my BG no favours, though I can eat a small banana, if I am not having any other significant carbs.

I use quorn slices or cheese slices instead of bread - for instance I put egg mayo on the quorn or cheese and pickle and eat it like sandwiches. Bulked out by salad with a vinagrette-type dressing.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Thanks all, I''ll keep on with the fruit and see how my blood sugar levels are.

Re your suggestions I have amended my menu although I can see this is going to need to be changed quite a lot , any other ideas you have would be so appreciated and thanks for giving me the time of day xx

jane22

Good luck with it janieb. I'm sure you have already thought of this but I make sure I always drink a large glass of water with a meal. I also do the smaller plate thing, mine is about 8 inches in diameter. I almost always have an egg for breakfast as my BG's seem to behave well on that and they keep you feeling full. I really enjoy it as an omelette with onions and peppers and maybe a slice of lean bacon. I haven't checked to see how many carbs there are but as a snack I have begun to enjoy a few olives with a tiny cube of feta cheese. It doesn't seem to send me into any spikes. Now and again I turn it into a lunch with a salad and a couple of oatmeal biscuits. Somebody told me to put a little butter on those to slow down the release of the carbs but I think the cheese and the olives would do that anyway.

Janieb

Dislikes
Thanks all, taken every bodies comments into consideration - the water bit definitely works.
I'm totally starving but hopefully I'll get used to it soon.

anniep

Hi Janieb

The thing I have found with my diet is that I am not starving, in fact for once in my life I am not hungry all the time.

I could always eat and thought that that was normal until giving up wheat, and a lot of starchy carbs. But that is what suits my body. If you are feeling totally starving all of the time, then you are not going to be able to stick to your way of eating and will make yourself miserable in the process. Diabetes is hard enough without being permamantly hungry!

xx