Pump

nathan d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am a security officer doing 12hr shift and finding it heard to control my bg would a pump give me better control with it

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am a security officer doing 12hr shift and finding it heard to control my bg would a pump give me better control with it
I guess that all depends on where your lack of control stems from.

Can you give us a bit more info as to where, why and how you may be struggling with your BG management?

I also work 12 hour shifts and don't have a pump.

nathan d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It the **** Patton doing 4 on 2 off just can't to get good control

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It the **** Patton doing 4 on 2 off just can't to get good control
Do you find your control is better when you are not working?

I don't find that my control suffers when I'm at work, but I do have plenty opportunity to test, I can carb count efficiently, I understand how to adjust my insulin when the situation dictates (illness, increased/decreased activity, stress, etc).

What are your meals like when you're at work?

Last edited:

nathan d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have a light lunch at work and I do the amount of insulin but it always go high and when I do a correct dose it don't go down it's it's now doing it at home and it's doing my head in

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have a light lunch at work and I do the amount of insulin but it always go high and when I do a correct dose it don't go down it's it's now doing it at home and it's doing my head in
It's very hard to attempt to ascertain where your difficulties are ****** from given the info you've provided.

You will almost definitely benefit from purchasing and reading from cover to cover the follwing book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Thin...naging-Diabetes-Insulin-Completely/0738215147

As for your high post-prandial BG and your corrections not working; that could be caused by a multitude of things - so in my opinion, it's probably best to have a read through the book I've linked.

Regards,
Grant

Reactions: azure and nathan d

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It may be that your insulun needs adjusting. Needs can change over time - sometimes you need more, sometimes less.

The usual thing to do first is a basal test to make sure your basal is at the right amount as that's the foundation of good control. If that's ok, you may need to look at your lunchtime insulin to carbs ratio.

I'm presuming you count carbs?

To answer your question, a pump is only as good as its user. It only does what you tell it to and can't control blood sugar automatically. However, it can be helpful if you can't get control with injections.

Shift work can be tricky. Has your DSN made any suggestions to help?

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Nathan try using IM injections in your deltoid muscle for corrections at work. They work alot quicker and maybe very helpful at work. An insulin pump may also help with changing profiles from shift work. I use an insulin pump but also use IM injectiins for BG above 10 mmol.