Airports and pumps

bethgriff

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my first airport experience with the pump! Just wanted to post to reassure anyone else with an upcoming trip with a pump!

I had really stressed myself out worrying about security because you can't put it through the machine.

I did exactly what my dsn said which was make it obvious and tell the person on the other side of the metal detector you're wearing it (I showed mine), then I gave them a letter from the hospital after I walked through (obviously it bleeped)...!

Had a thorough pat down and they swabbed it but it probably took an extra 2 minutes maximum.

Both liverpool and Dublin security were really friendly about it :) going to New York in the summer hopefully it'll be as easy!

Hopefully this will reassure anyone else if you're stressing about this

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I agree @bethgriff
flew to Naples a few weeks ago -- I beeped as I went through security -- they swabbed me and that was it -- total delay less than 4 minutes ( they checked my hand luggage too -- they found my back up insulin pens )

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had no problems at Luton the weekend before last ... The lady even apologised before giving me a thorough pat down. They put my shoes through the xray so looked a bit daft for a moment (something I've had to do before) but was pretty surprised at how smooth it all went. I am an infrequent flyer and get quite anxious going through security:nailbiting:
The security in France however was a very different experience. ... They were polite and friendly to start but I nearly ended up in tears as one of the staff refused to give me my insight remote back (for a good 10 minutes):mad: He ended up calling his supervisor who took one look at my hospital letter and told off the man in french for keeping it from me as it was clearly a medical device. The man kicked off at his supervisor and stormed off giving me evils as he went. Then another member of staff who had taken great interest in my hypo wallet came over and checked to see if I was ok...think he knew the man had been overreacting. That's the worst experience I've had though and hopefully not one to be repeated. Usually it's fine.
I always tell every single member of security staff that I have a pump and it can't go through xray, also get pump out and wave it around before walking through detector just like you @bethgriff. I always offer to show hospital letter but they usually say they don't need to look at it. Think it just depends on the staff on the day.

dje55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there

Am shortly going to fly with my pump for the first time. I phoned Roche for advice and they have told me to disconnect and pass the pump around the metal detector. Can anyone comment on this as the posters above have said that they walked through detector which then beeped. Roche said that magnets in the metal detector could affect pump.

Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there

Am shortly going to fly with my pump for the first time. I phoned Roche for advice and they have told me to disconnect and pass the pump around the metal detector. Can anyone comment on this as the posters above have said that they walked through detector which then beeped. Roche said that magnets in the metal detector could affect pump.

Thanks

I don't disconnect my pump but I don't walk through the detector either. I announce I'm diabetic and wearing an insulin pump as soon as I get to security, then they do a pat down search and I show them my diabetic stuff.

I keep my pump,attached to me the whole time and was only once asked to remove it (at Gatwick) but said it was a medical device and I had to wear it 24 hours a day. She then called her superior to check as she hadn't seen one before.

BJB.04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Watch out mate because the pump can be affected by the x-rays and things like that so be careful. On the other hand diabetes is an easily recognised word in many countries so it will be easy to explain to foreigners about your condition and pump. Hope this helped.