What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know that's not bad, but it's higher than I expected given what I ate the day before - I would usually get something in the 4s with the exact same diet: I have put on some weight recently, could that be the reason?
Another thought is that I've been taking alcohol with my meals to keep my BG down: it works brilliantly in the short term, but is there a 'bounce-back' when you stop?
Like I said, I know 5.8 is OK and I'm not trying to make a fuss about it, it's just there's a bit of a creeping rise going on, so if anyone has any advice to help me understand the mechanism behind it, I'd be grateful!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that's not bad, but it's higher than I expected given what I ate the day before - I would usually get something in the 4s with the exact same diet: I have put on some weight recently, could that be the reason?
Another thought is that I've been taking alcohol with my meals to keep my BG down: it works brilliantly in the short term, but is there a 'bounce-back' when you stop?
Like I said, I know 5.8 is OK and I'm not trying to make a fuss about it, it's just there's a bit of a creeping rise going on, so if anyone has any advice to help me understand the mechanism behind it, I'd be grateful!

5.8 is fine - I wouldn't start worrying unless you get a consistent pattern of higher readings. You may be coming down with a cold, or stressed about something, which would raise your blood sugars. After the illness/stress is over, the numbers will come down on their own. If your numbers keep getting higher after 1-2 weeks, then consider other reasons.

Weight gain can cause insulin resistance, so this definitely is a factor to consider. It's quite possible this has caused higher readings. I don't drink so I can't give you much advice about the alcohol