Bayer not getting my cash

Vortex

After only recently being diagnosed I'm still trying to get to grips with do's, don'ts and the whole monitoring malarky.

I started phoning round manufacturers to request info and prices on monitors and both Wavesense and Accu-check have sent me the monitors FOC :D . The customers service (inparticular) for Wavesense was excellent. The lady was helpful answered my (probably) idiotic newbie questions and when I mentioned I wanted to monitor on my computer even said she'd send me the usb lead.

I contacted Bayer as I quite like the idea of their usb monitor and requested info and price and they wouldn't send anything!!!!!!! The wavesense jazz is nice but I would like more tools on the software so wanted to find out more about the bayer software. I've called twice now and both times been fobbed off with 'its on the website' ...

I know the info is on the web but I'm still trying to get to grips with being diagnosed and so I'm reading and re-reading everything at the minute and having leaflets / brochures to hand is handy(I'm getting quite a pile now lol).

I work in sales and if a customer asks for info they get it (even though it is on the web). Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I figure if they can't even be bothered to post some leaflets why should I spend money with them...

Rant over...

(must be the lack of chocolate thats turned me into a grumpy git..)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hmmm,

how unhelpful.

Why not call again and again ask for some info to be sent out to you, then when they say it's on the website. say you dont have the internet?

Or drop in the conversation that other companies have sent info to you without hassle and straight away.

they might not like looking second best :lol:

vicsetter

Have you tried Lifescan. The One-Touch UltraSmart does everything the USB Contour does and a lot more, and it's free if you are on insulin.

Vortex

Wavesense sent me a free Jazz and even included the data cable to hook it up to the pc. Accu-check sent me a nano as well although they would still charge me £20 for the software.

I started using the Jazz (mainly because I had everything to track everything on the pc) and I'm finding it simple to use and the reports are giving me a better understanding of my readings. To be honest the lady I spoke to at wavesense was extremely helpful when I phoned which has also made me want to use their kit.

The nano has been put to one side as a back up in case I need one.

Considering two manufacturers have sent meters foc (regardless of their reasons) it just reinforces my opinion of Bayer. Had bayer sent info then it may have made me look at their products as it is my money is going elsewhere.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Vortex, I am surprised that Accu-chek (Roche) wanted to charge you £20 for the software to link the Nano to your PC .. I got everything FOC and my DN was so impressed she is changing everyone over to the Nano . As my laptop has an infra-red 'eye' my Nano can link up without any cables etc and likewise when I take it to my review check-ups with my DN.
Like you, I have experienced comunication problems with Bayer and as a standard Contour meter user at the time, I was dumbfounded at their lack of intrest when I tried to find out about their USB meter, but so gald I am back with Accu-chek being my origional meter supplier many years ago was Roche. Bayer lost me as a strip user (about 21-25 per week) but I doubt they even considered that I would change back to Roche....their loss!

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Bayer are one of those multinationals who have become too big and arrogant for their own boots. For example, the UK isnt deemed worthy of marketing their HbA1c home test meter but the public in the US can buy it.

Vortex

I must admit I didn't realise how quickly you can work through a tub of strips (already on my third tub and was only diagnosed at the start of June) so Bayer have already lost out. :lol:

The Jazz I'm using is quite a decent meter (in my limited experience) and the only downside I'm now finding is the software. Whilst it records my readings and you can run reports I've heard about other manufacturers software that will record other information like weight, cholesterol, HbA1c etc and it would be nice to keep track of it all in one place. As I appear to be losing weight it would be nice to track that as well to keep my motivation level up. :D

I spoke to Lifescan about the onetouch and although they didn't offer a freebie and just pointed me to their website they did say I could get one free on prescription. They told me the software is a free download so I'm going to look at it first and if its any good the next time I see the diabetes nurse I'm going to mention it and if I get one free and I'll give it go.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Vortex .. I have tried the OneTouch (as a freebie from aprevious DN) and it needs twice as much blood on the strips as my excellent Nano and therefore a deeper lancing jab. I do however use the OneTouch Comfort lancets as they are the thinnest gauge around (0.22mm).

Vortex

Well the ultrasmart arrived and I've been trying it for a few days now. To be honest its a bit of mixed reaction.

On the plus side you can record additional info such as weight, cholesterol, A1c etc so when I get my past readings it will be useful for me to be able to monitor whats happening. The screen is nice and clear and being able to look back at the past few days readings is also useful.

On the down side its quite big compared to the Jazz I was using and combined with a larger, finger pricker and case its more bulky to carry. I also don't find the software as user friendly which may just be because I got used to the Jazz. Its easy enough to use and you can enter information easily both on the meter and the software.

The software is what is keeping me using it present as the larger meter / case size I do find a bit cumbersome. I am contemplating creating my own log book for the extra info I want to track and going back to a smaller meter but will keep going for the time being.

Dollyrocker

I use the Breeze 2 by Bayer and they've sent me 4 free ones in the last 5 years without any hassle.

The software, winglucofacts is very good, the only downside is that it's not mac compatible.

You often find that companies won't give away their brand new models for free unless you are upgrading from one of their previous models. Personally I think that's faitr enough!

Special_K

Hobs said:
Vortex, I am surprised that Accu-chek (Roche) wanted to charge you £20 for the software to link the Nano to your PC .. I got everything FOC

I'm quite surprised at this. I have been using an Accu-Chek Aviva Expert for about 2 weeks now on trial after using the LifeScan OTUS for a few years. Happy with the OTUS and the fact that I had the cable and drives sent to me free I was a bit surprised to see that Accu-Chek wanted to charge me £25 for the same facility with my new monitor.

Maybe I'll just bide my time, my doctor is currently writing a letter to the PCT for funding for a new pump (Accu-Chek Combo), maybe the software will come free with that???

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Were you on the UK site or the US site ? I noticed with LifeScan that if you got on the US site they charged you for the Data Management but the UK site gave it for nothing.

Special_K

I was on the UK site for both, below is Accu-Chek's email

Thank you for your information management inquiry.

Our new patient management tool, the Accu-Chek 360°, is an easy to use comprehensive software for displaying and manipulating Accu-Chek device data. In addition, it is possible to add other data, such as insulin delivery data, dietary data and other medical information.

The software package costs £24.99 and can be ordered by calling our free customer careline at the freephone number given below.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

I think this must be a stock response from their customer service dept. I'd be interested to know if people have managed to get the infra-red reciever free direct from the supplier or via their DSN.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
I didn't need the infra red thingy as my laptop has a reader port built in, but I do not contact Accu Chek (Roche) via e-mail as I always ring in via their freephone number my DN gave to me. She now has most, if not all, of her 'clinic' over to using the Nano as her treminal reads it direct too. Roche are certainly onto a winner with the Nano and our GP's DN clinic, and I cannot fault their service.
Over the years I have used probably all the meter suppliers in the UK and now I am back with Roche, who supplied my first Glucotrend meter for a fiver delivered complete with a pot of 50 strips and 200 lancets.... but that was getting towards the end of the last centurty :wink: :lol:

Special_K

I remember the Glucotrend and have used a few of the newer ones in between. I was quite impressed to be offfered the trial of the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert and like some of the new features on there.

Comparing it to the Spirit Combo it looks like this is a bridge towards the BG meter that comes with the pump.

Maybe I'll wait until their rep contacts me to see how I'm getting on with the meter and ask him/her then.

lordchittchat

Abbott sent me a free Freestyle Insulinx + 18 + 50 strips (yes two lots of strips) which although bigger that the Accu-Chek Nano has the advantage of connectivity to any computer via usb port and thus far shown no signs of faulty errors that the Nano has produced mainly E7 and appears to need even less blood (wick action I'm told + will not read if there is not enough blood and you are given a little time to add more for it to still work on the same strip, not that I have ever had too as it takes so little) Because I can download data I can use either the inbuilt management system for getting printed graphs or I use the free downloadable si/diary app for pc where I can input more info. Ok the prompts to get you to subscribe to their site is a bit annoying but the options within the program are good and the non automatic subscription which gives even more freedom is only £14 a year. (Not that I do at the moment as I am still testing it out) by the way this program will accept data from a great number of different meters if you are looking for something to convert your data to hard copy this is well worth a look.
Still prefer the fastClix finger pricker best I've used, pity the Nano has connectivity problems i:e no standard output (usb) not paying nearly thirty pounds for data transfer. and this E7 error otherwise I would love it to bits.
Oh and another thing its worth trying the Ontrack data management app for your phone its free and so far extremely good, down load data via email, beats a book in my opinion.