upload_2017-7-18_14-32-18.png

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
"But there is no consistent evidence that a low-carb diet is any more effective than other approaches in the long term, so it shouldn't be seen as the diet for everyone."

I don't have any particular axe to grind, so my comments are purely anecdotal and prove nothing one way or the other. I have a cousin and a father who are both insulin dependent type II diabetics and both with awful BG control. Possibly coincidence but both eat exactly what they want to. My father's poor control is probably because of his love of chocolate and as a 90 year old who has been skinny all his life I'm not going to lecture him on the benefits of low carb for some.

I take on board the statement that low carb could be injurious to the health and growth of children, so let's coin a new term "less carb".

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D They are still putting many qualifying statements. But I think it is a good compromise at the moment as it shows a partial official acceptance of low carb options...would need time for the "evidence" to build up since there has been no tracking of low carb diet data over the last 30-40 years?

Reactions: Freema

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would say for type 2's that are non - insulin dependant or use oral medication, I have not seen on this site anyone with "normal" range blood glucose control and or HbA1c results (I haven't researched vegan or vegetarian enough to know what the results are under these protocols). I have seen on YouTube claims of reversing diabetes with high carb, but in my opinion this seems counter intuitive to fix a high glucose issue with high glucose.

My journey has shown LCHF seems the dominant longer term way to get consistent great control. The standard method of eating either in Europe or America has enough 30 to 40 year evidence to indicate a complete failure for both diabetics and based on the amount of obese, insulin resistant and pre-diabetics members of the general public. I am happy to continue LCHF and once a year fight to get a full blood count.

Reactions: kokhongw

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say for type 2's that are non - insulin dependant or use oral medication, I have not seen on this site anyone with "normal" range blood glucose control and or HbA1c results

I have come across at least a couple on other sites, medication but in the HbA1c 5.5% range. It is not impossible. But I personally believe it is rather rare...

People have difficulty accepting that eating fats and walking less than 1000 steps a day can achieve normal glucose level...or that it is healthy...inspite of all the biomarkers being in range.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the most important point that is always overlooked is:

This reinforces Diabetes UK’s call for an individualised approach to diet, taking into consideration peoples personal preferences

Most of the times a boilerplate diet is proposed without explanation.
And this is guaranteed to fail in the long time because everyone is different and needs to learn how and why a diet has to be followed.

Reactions: Freema

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect that if the NHS told people to just remove all carbs from breakfast and explained how and why, it would have a great benefit and could be done within the time a GP has with each person. (Use the poster that shows how much sugar you need to eat to get the same effect as one slide of bread.)

Reactions: zand
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I would say for type 2's that are non - insulin dependant or use oral medication, I have not seen on this site anyone with "normal" range blood glucose control and or HbA1c results (I haven't researched vegan or vegetarian enough to know what the results are under these protocols). I have seen on YouTube claims of reversing diabetes with high carb, but in my opinion this seems counter intuitive to fix a high glucose issue with high glucose.

My journey has shown LCHF seems the dominant longer term way to get consistent great control. The standard method of eating either in Europe or America has enough 30 to 40 year evidence to indicate a complete failure for both diabetics and based on the amount of obese, insulin resistant and pre-diabetics members of the general public. I am happy to continue LCHF and once a year fight to get a full blood count.
Vegetarian and vegan does not need to be high carb. I have been enjoying non-diabetic levels on 2 regular Met a day for 3.5 years as a vegan and previously as a vegetarian. I probably eat more carbs than many here (I don't count them), but I am starting to believe that there is more to low carbing than just going as low as possible. I tolerate more carbs these days and suspect it has to do with improved guts from eating plant only and a drop in inflammation from omitting dairy.

More than one way to skin an avocado I reckon, one size does not fit all etc.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From the document:-

People who chose to follow a low
carb diet should be supported to make
changes to relevant diabetes medications and
to monitor
blood glucose to reduce
the risk of hypoglycaemia.

So will my GP prescribe a meter and strips now.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Di
"But there is no consistent evidence that a low-carb diet is any more effective than other approaches in the long term, so it shouldn't be seen as the diet for everyone."

I don't have any particular axe to grind, so my comments are purely anecdotal and prove nothing one way or the other. I have a cousin and a father who are both insulin dependent type II diabetics and both with awful BG control. Possibly coincidence but both eat exactly what they want to. My father's poor control is probably because of his love of chocolate and as a 90 year old who has been skinny all his life I'm not going to lecture him on the benefits of low carb for some.

I take on board the statement that low carb could be injurious to the health and growth of children, so let's coin a new term "less carb".
Diet for diabetics is a complex series of variables from one individual to another. You can only detail a guideline to what is required and let people find their own happy medium.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Di

Diet for diabetics is a complex series of variables from one individual to another. You can only detail a guideline to what is required and let people find their own happy medium.

Back to my bloke balancing plates on sticks.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think it a big step because the two big DB sites in the UK are now joined up that LC is an option.
To be fair to them as you cannot prove it as no long term evidence (in the 3 year impact) so they have to be carefully cautious.

I hope it helps many more people.

Reactions: keitjones

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair to them as you cannot prove it as no long term evidence (in the 3 year impact) so they have to be carefully cautious.

To be fair to us T2D... They have been around for decades...and low carb have been available for even longer...but there is no data available long term evidence for low carb? It seriously begs the question why. But yes it is a significant small step.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That's why my preferred term is "carbs lite fats friendly".

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well for what it's worth I've managed to keep my HbA1cs in the lower pre-diabetic to just non diabetic range (apart from one slightly high but still pre diabetic blip) over the last three years by eating a pretty low carb diet.

Robbity

And PS when I was young it was recognised and strongly advised that small children should always drink full fat milk - skimmed or semi skimmed was not an option.

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be fair to us T2D... They have been around for decades...and low carb have been available for even longer...but there is no data available long term evidence for low carb? It seriously begs the question why. But yes it is a significant small step.
It probably boils down to no one has done the research in that topic yet. Or if they are doing it, it hasn't been completed or been running long enough. Just a pure guess.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Under the article there is a set of research papers. I have read a couple and was surprised how much research has been done on low carb over the years. Really informative.