X-pert Diabetes Programme

Gadge

Hey

I have been put forward for the group based "X-pert progrmme" which Is a 6 week course which advertises to:

The X-PERT Programme has been shown
to improve clinical, lifestyle and psychosocial
outcomes in people with newly diagnosed and
existing diabetes. It is necessary to audit the
national implementation of the X-PERT
Programme against standards identified from the
published randomised controlled trial.

Wk 1 - What is Diabetes
Wk 2 - Weight Management
Wk 3 - Carbohydrate awareness
Wk 4 -Supermarket Tour (Guide to labes)
Wk 5 - Possible Complications
Wk 6 - X-PERT Game (Re-cap session)

The Majoity of the information including scanned leaflets and slide shows can be found at the NHS URL:
http://www.diabetes.nhs.uk/our_work_are ... programme/

X-pert's offical website:
http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/

The information provided certantly makes the course sound interesting. I feel that the supermarket tour on week 4 will be extremely helpful to me and the missus in our war against the weight!!

Any insight from anyone thats been on the course?

Petal50

just had a letter from our newly built community hospital inviting me to go on the course in september, and i will be going, after all knowledge is power!!!!
It is the first time they have held the course so i will let you know what is what.

china

Hi Gadge
I went on the X-pert course in May '09. On the whole I would say that it is well worth attending, although it will depend on who is presenting/running the course, who the other attendees are and how much you already know about your condition. I'm all for gathering as much information as possible, so as long as I have learned something new I think it's time well spent. The supermarket trip was interesting and I found it very informative. Much of the course, for me, was a confirmation that I was mostly doing the right things which boosted my confidence no end - a factor which is often overlooked by HCPs when patients are self-managing their condition. Good luck with it and enjoy!