Freestyle Libra Flash

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is freestyle libra flash available on NHS. Unable to self fund £120 per month. Feel would make big difference to monitoring of my levels which are affected by hormones, stress, hot weather plus don't sleep well. Injection sites painful ..medication prescribed makes me sick. Have been type 1 diabetic for 15 years plus. Thanks all.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately not certified for funding by NHS yet, but optimistic folk think it will by end of the year. No guarantees that even then it will be for anyone who wants them, there will certainly be guidelines.

You will still have to inject, just less finger pricking.

What meds make you sick? Can't see it changing that either.

Most folk reckon it improves control though so it has to be a good thing.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is freestyle libra flash available on NHS. Unable to self fund £120 per month. Feel would make big difference to monitoring of my levels which are affected by hormones, stress, hot weather plus don't sleep well. Injection sites painful ..medication prescribed makes me sick. Have been type 1 diabetic for 15 years plus. Thanks all.
Hi @Tracie1212 , not that it's a huge difference but the sensors work out at around £50 each, not the higher price quoted on their website, because being diabetic you qualify to tick the VAT declaration at the checkout, meaning you save the VAT portion of the price. Sometimes there is also an offer on for free postage.

I hope that in time it will become available on the NHS, although I suspect that there will be lots of hoops to jump through for individual care trusts or CCGs regarding funding.

Hugs!
:)

Reactions: Juicyj

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Tracie1212 , not that it's a huge difference but the sensors work out at around £50 each, not the higher price quoted on their website, because being diabetic you qualify to tick the VAT declaration at the checkout, meaning you save the VAT portion of the price. Sometimes there is also an offer on for free postage.

I hope that in time it will become available on the NHS, although I suspect that there will be lots of hoops to jump through for individual care trusts or CCGs regarding funding.

Hugs!

Thanks for the information, I rang Freestyle direct last year was advised for start up kit and replacing of sensors every month would be circa £120 /month. £50 sounds much better unfortunately don't have £50 to buy them. I'm seeing consultant soon so will ask. It's very different living with the condition than treating it. Thanks for hugs need lots today.

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Unfortunately not certified for funding by NHS yet, but optimistic folk think it will by end of the year. No guarantees that even then it will be for anyone who wants them, there will certainly be guidelines.

You will still have to inject, just less finger pricking.

What meds make you sick? Can't see it changing that either.

Most folk reckon it improves control though so it has to be a good thing.

Thanks for information, I've tried lyrica and dulcet inexpensive both make me sick. Hospital said nothing else they could give me.

I inject 5 time's a day , use novo rapid and lantus. Have hypersensitivity and is really painful to inject. I'm going to ask if I can try using lantus and reduce to two injections a day. Thanks

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for information, I've tried lyrica and dulcet inexpensive both make me sick. Hospital said nothing else they could give me.

I inject 5 time's a day , use novo rapid and lantus. Have hypersensitivity and is really painful to inject. I'm going to ask if I can try using lantus and reduce to two injections a day. Thanks
* sorry medication is duloxetine

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Hi Tracie,

You can also ask for Tresiba, it's a long lasting basal, lasts around 36 hours only one injection a day and very stable, I was on it before the pump and thoroughly recommend it, big hugs, hope your ok.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Tracie1212 - sorry, I meant per sensor, not per month. Per month its around £120 with the VAT, and around £100 without. Sorry for any confusion!

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Tracie,

You can also ask for Tresiba, it's a long lasting basal, lasts around 36 hours only one injection a day and very stable, I was on it before the pump and thoroughly recommend it, big hugs, hope your ok.

Thanks for your reply I was on humalog mix for first two years is this another name for Tresiba? I was on two injections a day my levels were perfect but felt awful and didn't want to eat so went with current medication. I was referred to hospital for pump and doctor told me levels needed to improve before could recommend pump. To be honest he really upset me had no social skills so gave up on pursuing the pump. I told the hospital I never wanted to see that doctor again. I will ask about Tresiba on my next appointment. Thanks for your help.

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Tracie1212 - sorry, I meant per sensor, not per month. Per month its around £120 with the VAT, and around £100 without. Sorry for any confusion!

That's OK, I'll ask about the freestyle libra on next hospital visit I did my own research and feel they would help reduce finger pricking and even maybe injections if I can see what's going on with blood glucose. Thanks for your help.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Tracie1212 tresiba is a basal insulin not a mixed insulin - it's certainly worth asking about, also don't give up in the pump if it's affecting your quality of life then keep onto your team about it x

Katey14064

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Someone in Sunderland got one funded I read on the freestyle libre Facebook group.
I can barely afford the cost but self fund cos it's soo convenient and the graphs tell you soo much

Reactions: Snapsy

Raybis

Type of diabetes
Type 1

No but it is not as yet accurate enough to rely on for working out insulin amounts in my opinion I trialled it can get you into trouble with hypos

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No but it is not as yet accurate enough to rely on for working out insulin amounts in my opinion I trialled it can get you into trouble with hypos

Thanks for this , I was hoping it would show me the direction my blood sugars were going appreciate need to factor in a delay.