Best ID for an 8 year old boy

iantib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 3 weeks ago & as he's back at school I wondered what type of ID you'd recommend. I had a quick google & have seen that an Australian company mediband do a jelly type bracelet. But with postage they seem expensive.

These wristbands seem good for an 8 year old, as credit cards & jewelry dont seem appropraite for an 8 year old boy.

I want it to say something like "Diabetic on Insulin" ICE (my telephone number)

Can anyone advise me what they use & where to get them from?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I wear a jelly band, like the charity bands that I paid a couple of pounds for off a well known auction site, but it just says 'Diabetic'.

Have you considered army type dog tags, could be quite cool for a young boy.

iantib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Sid, I too thought 8 year old boys would love a dog tag, although according to my kids there so "un cool". Its just shows you how things change. I'd have loved one as a kid.

We are both favoring the one from MEDIBAND, who are an Australian company. He likes the look of it. I like it cos it can stay on when he plays football & swims & its wipe clean so will be great as being an 8 year old boy he's always covered in mud & muck!

They supposedly have a UK agent in IRELAND, but I've tried 3 times to call them & left my number over the last week but they dont call back. I'll keep trying though. A kind lady from OZ has also offer assistance if I'm not able to find one closer to home, which is nice of her.

What re the quality like of the auction site ones? Is it the one that ends in bay?

I just want it to say "Diabetic on Insulin", & have an area where I can write an ICE telephone number, ohh & look cool!! :lol: . I thought my requiremnts were quite straight forward, but having spent about an hour searching on GOOGLE it appears not :(

iHs

That well know auction site is very good for lots of stuff, so yes have a look :)

This is something that might appeal to your son and that is to get hold of a cheap trendy type watch that has a rubber or fabric type strap. Take the back of the watch off and remove the watch mechanism inside, leaving only the glass face. Next, use computer and Word and create a circular shape the same diameter as the inside of the watch glass. Using a text box dragged over the shape, you can write DIABETIC and your ICE no. If you feel creative you could also copy the Medical symbol that is recognised by Dr's and drag that onto your Word shape and use the textbox as above. Put the shape inside the watch glass face so that its visable and screw back of watch on. There you have it :mrgreen: :lol: A cool functional cheap Medical ID.