Morning testing

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Do you do it the minute your eyes are open or do you do it a little later? I've just started to test again after not doing it for about a year. So in the morning I get up go to the toilet, go downstairs do a few bits, make a cup of tea, sit and watch tv for about 1/2 an hour then I get my breakfast and test then. So when do you all test?

Reactions: barriebanana

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before I get out of bed, preferably immediately after waking.
Then again before breakfast.
There is usually a significant difference between the two readings, so I think it is important to be consistent.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I admit to not washing my hands, but I've done that before I go to bed so I reckon they are ok. I used to test when I first woke, in bed. But now I test when I throw the duvet aside and sit up on the edge of the bed, before doing anything else.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get up, go to loo, wash hands, test. Always have. Whenever you test you have to be consistent or any trends up or down will be meaningless.

Yes, my testing kit is in the bedroom overnight.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Get up, have shower, answer emails, go downstairs, give dogs a drink, put kettle on - then test. I used to test before getting out of bed until the time I got blood on my ivory colour (expensive) brand new duvet set.

I agree, though, when you are first testing you need to see what the rise is between waking up and having breakfast - I know mine is a depressingly steep rise (always has been) so rather than put a blight on my entire day I just do the pre-eating/drinking test.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently well off enough to be using my Libre so since I go to the loo a few times during the night I test every time I get out of bed. The hand washing is not necessary.

When I don't have the Libre I don't do a fasting test since I don't think they are very helpful and will test later after food.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After getting up and going to the loo. So long as you're consistent I don't think it matters.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Do you do it the minute your eyes are open or do you do it a little later? I've just started to test again after not doing it for about a year. So in the morning I get up go to the toilet, go downstairs do a few bits, make a cup of tea, sit and watch tv for about 1/2 an hour then I get my breakfast and test then. So when do you all test?

Wash hands and test. 10 seconds between edge of bed, sink and back again. You have to do that

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As soon as I wake up, in bed. Never wash hands before testing, unless I've been handling sugary stuff just before. I just wipe away the first drop of blood and use the second.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As soon as I wake up, in bed. Never wash hands before testing, unless I've been handling sugary stuff just before. I just wipe away the first drop of blood and use the second.

You are lucky to get enough for the first to be wiped away!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You are lucky to get enough for the first to be wiped away!
I rather set the pricker a bit deeper than go through the trouble of washing my hands twelve times a day. Right now I'm using the Libre, so only test when waking up or when I'm low or high, after the first few days of a new sensor. It helps as well if you squeeze your finger from bottom to top (like goat-milking), and not just the last digit.

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never wash hands (never had a problem) Test before i get out of bed When i've tested after i get out of the bed and gone the loo it's always higher If you have a problem with not washing your hands get some small packs of antiseptic wipes and keep them buy your testing kit