Neuropathy

chiefsister

I am a type 1 diabetic and will have been for 50 years next year and now have neuropathy and CKD -and am not very pleased :( . Every time I come across an article which says "if you keep good control you are less likely to get complications". There are degrees in severity of diabetes and no two people are alike. Why is the blame nearly always put on the diabetic? We are not robots.

If it was stressed how much work and thought has to go into how much insulin needed and how much food together with state of mind and health (cold or flu) maybe more people would be willing to help raise money or go on spomsored walks.

I know we have come a long way but surely one of the oldest recorded conditions should have a cure by now.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
50 years of being type 1 is something else, I feel like a youngster in comparison!

I hear what you're saying about 'degree in severity of diabetes and no two people are alike', but at the end of the day the message is, and always has been to keep tight blood glucose control, and apart from advice and information given by our HCP, the responsibility to achieve good control lies solely with the individual. I do wonder sometimes if people are predetermined to get complications, as sometimes keeping good control is no guarantee that one can avoid complications, yet we hear of people who have had less than perfect control and have no complications in 30-40 years of diabetes, however I would much prefer to keep good control and take me's chances.

Not sure what your views are, but as someone who has been type 1 for 30 years, I only wish they had teaching programme's like the DAFNE course when I started out, and for those that are newly diagnosed and are fortunate to enroll on such courses, they are in a excellent position to keep diabetes complications at bay should they choose to implement and follow what they have been taught.

As for a cure?................I only wish! :roll: Can't see it happening in my time, but I am sure science will progress and develop treatments that are less time consuming and better at stabilising blood glucose.

Best wishes

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I agree whole heartedley with Nigel. Tight Bg control is essential whatever type you are if you want to try and avoid those complications. It's not to say that you will never get any.....but at least you are giving yourself a fighting chance. Ignoring high Bg levels is a sure fire way to visit the Doc and a slippery slope for those that do.

One day, there may be a 'cure'.........probably when we are all long gone. Research is always ongoing and there are some promising signs here and there. I can't see anything positive on the horizon yet though.

So, keep supporting research organisations with your pennies and pounds........one day......???

Ken

joelcam

Hi,

Really sorry to hear that you have just been given this bad news. I can imagine how you must feel so just sending my condolences. Must be a bit of a shock?

JC

sugar2

Hi Chiefeister,

I agree with Nigel too...but wanted to say, that having diabetes for 50 years, and getting complication now, probably means that you have excellent control!

Sounds bizaare, but think that you should be congratulated for that. I know that this may sound wierd, but I have had diabetes for 30+ years, and remember all too well how difficult it was to keep control back in the "old days". I completely understand your annoyance about the articles.

Hope that you get some sympathic care,from someone who does not "blame" you.

All the best.

iantib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to work with a really bad Type 1 diabetic, he wouldnt look after himself at all & had constant lows followed by big highs 20+'s He ran himself so high he felt hypo when his blood sugar was 13mmol.

At 35 years old he was near to dying & Last xmas he had a pancreas & liver transplant.

He is now nolonger a diabetic. So there is hope. He's now right as rain.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
iantib said:
I used to work with a really bad Type 1 diabetic, he wouldnt look after himself at all & had constant lows followed by big highs 20+'s He ran himself so high he felt hypo when his blood sugar was 13mmol.

At 35 years old he was near to dying & Last xmas he had a pancreas & liver transplant.

He is now nolonger a diabetic. So there is hope. He's now right as rain.

Pleased for your friend if he is no longer a diabetic but I won't hold out any hope for a pancreas transplant any time soon! I am however, holding out some hope for prevention or cure or some kind of medical intervention which can correct the highs without causing the lows. I've had my fingers crossed for 25 years :D :twisted: :wink:

to the OP, it's people like you who go 50 years without any major complications who inspire the rest of us! :D