Primary care -DESMOND

popps

Hi all, after two fasting blood sudar tests of 7.1 and 7,2 at the end of May I finally got the chance to speak to the practice nurse on June 24 ( I was abroad for first two weeks of June). She told me to watch my diet and return for a a H1a1bc blood test in six months. She also said that a few years ago my test results would have indicated pre-diabetes but the diagnostic trigger has now changed to 7. She's also referred me to something called DESMOND who'll administer primary care treatment. Does anyone have any experience with them and what does primary care entail? I still haven't had any contact from them.

In the meantime, I'm changing diet - lowering the carbs, cutting down on alcohol, doing more exercise. I recently joined a gym and started walking/jogging/cycling every day. This all feels a bit surreal to me as I don't feel any symptoms (I actually feel in better shape now than I have done for years) and the only medical person I've spoken to since diagnosis is the practice nurse - for 15 minutes!

Any advice appreciated.

popps

Thanks. Eddie. opened a bottle of Downing Estate Heathcote merlot on your advice. Really hits the spot. Cheers!

Geoff

Hello Popps, DESaMOND stands for Diabetes Education and Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed. Look here for more info http://www.desmond-project.org.uk/

It is a bit of a mouth full, but it is not a group of people, but part of the official structured education program for people with type 2 Diabetes. You will be offered a place on this course as part of a group session, over a number of days, or weeks to help you understand and manage your diabetes.

Mags52

Hi there
I've been on the DESMOND course. It was very good - helped me to understand what was going on in lay person's terms. Mine was one whole day. The only bit I didn't much appreciate was the dietician giving the old standard idea about carbs being the mainstay in a diabetic diet. The only way I can keep my blood glucose under any kind of control is by vastly reducing carbs at every meal. Having said that I did use to be a pasta farian. Couldn't stop eating the stuff. Now I measure all carbs and its changed my eating habits dramatically. I also lost almost a stone in the first 3 months, although that has levelled out now.
I waited 3 months before getting other clinical input and that was a good idea as changing my eating habits and exercising more did settle things down a bit yet still left them in no doubt I had Type 2 diabetes. HBa1c 7%.
Keep up the good work.
Margaret

beltrol

Promoting health and wellness is their primary concern. Primary care that focuses on the diseases such as women’s health problem, chronic fatigue syndrome, diabetes, cholesterol, hypertension hypothyroidism, and weight management are some of the diseases that their look into, not just to treat it , but to provide prevention and to promote and maintain the highest level of health and wellness possible.