Weight gain Gabapentin and Amitriptyline

Magaroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have had T1 for 27 years and am experiencing nerve pains in my leg. My doctor has prescribed Gabapentin and Amitriptyline, since I started taking these I have been piling on the pounds. I started with Slimming World a few weeks ago and much to my shame I am gaining instead of losing at each weigh in. I have gone from 11 stones to almost 12 in around four months. Has anyone else suffered the same?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am on Gabapentin and Amitriptyline and have been for some years. I did not gain weight or lose weight on either. Having said that, we all react to drugs differently and Gabapentin is notorious for making people gain weight, I must be one of the lucky ones.

Reactions: letstalk1

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Both of those meds do put weight on and the Gab. can cause muscle aches but helps hot flashes to , the Amitrip. can cause morning hangover , and hunger to some - depends on dose of course. I went off both these- but at some point may go back on as sometimes for awhile the benefits are worth the side effects sometimes , and we really dont know how a med effects each individual untill we try it , so give it a 3-4 months at least I always say and do.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi, I have had T1 for 27 years and am experiencing nerve pains in my leg. My doctor has prescribed Gabapentin and Amitriptyline, siwouldn't tarted taking these I have been piling on the pounds. I started with Slimming World a few weeks ago and much to my shame I am gaining instead of losing at each weigh in. I have gone from 11 stones to almost 12 in around four months. Has anyone else suffered the same?
FYI. Some drugs and combinations of drugs can raise bg levels. I am slowly reducing the dosage of Amit by half a tablet until I reach the point that it has a physical effect. I wouldn't change the dose on Gab because imo I need a higher dose. If you decide to go down this path I recommend you speak with your gp before making any changes. For me, the rise in bg that the Gab might cause versus the pain relief is a no brainer.

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Amitriptyline to counter hand pain. That has no effect on weight.

Gabapentin sends me to sleep the day after use. I stopped using for a period and then started again when immediately the sleep effects returned.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I use gabapentin combines with morphine I havent gained any weight. My son uses amatriptilyn and he hasnt gained weight. All tablets have different affects on people. What I take would make a friend of mine sleep all the time!

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on both these meds and I gained weight but for me I was that tired and ate chocolate to give me a little energy to function. I came off the meds for that reason.

I managed to lose 3.5 stone very slowly with the help of my Fitbit. I logged everything I ate. And make sure the energy I use is more than I eat.

Sarebear86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I had chronic nerve pain in my leg due to a back injury(nothing to do with my diabetes) I was put on both amitriptyline and gabapentin and I put on a ton of weight! The dr said it was the gabapentin and changed me to pregabalin, that didn't really help so was on naproxen and tramadol until it sorted itself out. I'm lucky it was a problem that just needed to heal so I'm no longer on them, but I am aware you'll be on them long term so would like to let you know I've heard horror stories about addiction to pregabalin so am really glad I didn't stay on that! I would advise asking your dr for a different drug but make sure you research it well before taking ;)