Potato starch

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi because of @Brunneria discovery that gluten free is helping her with her health issues and how much better it is working for her, I decided to have a look at the gluten free foods in my local Tesco.
To my horror, included in the ingredients, there, they used potato starch.
My brain automatically shelved the idea that this was good for me!
My nemesis is spuds!
Dare not touch them even with an eleven foot pole!

But my question is, how many carbs are in potato starch?
Is it like flour, wheat and such? Which are my intolerant!
I would usually try something different that should be as good as gluten free, but I'm certain it's a real baddie even in small amounts.
I await responses!

Ta!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Gf products are worse than gluten. All the starches they use are the most condensed part of the foods.

Not to mention gmo grains corn tapioca etc. I traded all grains and starch for lettuce wraps, salads or a spoon. ( thinking nut butters)

Reactions: Lamont D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just look at the carb contents on the packets. That should tell you.
I've looked at some gluten free products and the carb content is the same as the ordinary product. You just have to choose carefully.

Reactions: dbr10

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem fine on small to moderate amounts of potato nowadays.
Provided i stay gluten free.

If i eat gluten then my blood glucose goes high with any carbs, including potato. And stays like that for days.
Takes 2-3 weeks for things to settle down again.

I don't pretend to completely understand what is happening, but I speculate that either my gluten intolerance is delaying/desensitising my insulin production, or it is hiking my insulin resistance. But of course that is speculation, and I havent a clue how to test either theory.

Re the ingredients in Gluten Free foods... I have been quite shocked. They are usually highly processed, high carb, and full of rice flour, potato flour, maize etc. It has been quite a surprise to discover I can tolerate them. But I've no interest in eating them regularly.

Reactions: dbr10

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I seem fine on small to moderate amounts of potato nowadays.
Provided i stay gluten free.

If i eat gluten then my blood glucose goes high with any carbs, including potato. And stays like that for days.
Takes 2-3 weeks for things to settle down again.

I don't pretend to completely understand what is happening, but I speculate that either my gluten intolerance is delaying/desensitising my insulin production, or it is hiking my insulin resistance. But of course that is speculation, and I havent a clue how to test either theory.

Re the ingredients in Gluten Free foods... I have been quite shocked. They are usually highly processed, high carb, and full of rice flour, potato flour, maize etc. It has been quite a surprise to discover I can tolerate them. But I've no interest in eating them regularly.

Yeah!
I noticed that too!
I was also looking at the gluten free bread and that was only around 9-10 carbs per slice, but the ingredients scared me away.
It's a bloody minefield in the gluten free aisle!

Staying with fresh food!

lindisfel

Expert
The only carbs I can tolerate is some jumbo porridge after eggs, olive oil and flaked almonds. I did try a 4 oz baked potato in evenings but it pushed my BG up to the high sevens so I stopped. I can tolerate the carbs in beans, chick peas and lentils at evening meals as long as I limit the amount I have. I do this to improve my potassium intake. Its a pity we cannot find a drug that synchronises our blood glucose and insulin.
I suspect if I am really diabetic, I'm right at the bottom end because a lot of weight loss has not affected my hba1c very much. regards Derek

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The only carbs I can tolerate is some jumbo porridge after eggs, olive oil and flaked almonds. I did try a 4 oz baked potato in evenings but it pushed my BG up to the high sevens so I stopped. I can tolerate the carbs in beans, chick peas and lentils at evening meals as long as I limit the amount I have. I do this to improve my potassium intake. Its a pity we cannot find a drug that synchronises our blood glucose and insulin.
I suspect if I am really diabetic, I'm right at the bottom end because a lot of weight loss has not affected my hba1c very much. regards Derek

Sorry, porridge is something that is really bad for my blood levels.
I can manage a few pulses without the sauces and sweetened water they come in, but not many.

There has been some success with Sitagliptin, which if you do tolerate some carbs (I can't!) will lower your spike, because it alters your glycogen/ glucagon response which also does not trigger the overshoot of the second insulin response.
And of course, no hyper, no hypo!

The drug for me has no side effects that I know of! And I do believe that it helps me.
But others would have to be careful, because of the side effects.
It is no cure.
My last eOGTT confirmed this, despite only recording an eight as my spike, I still went hypo.
Without the Sitagliptin, my spike would be in double figures and my hyper and hypo would make me extremely ill!

How you doing Derek?

All the best mate!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I once stupidly purchased grated cheese. It was full of potato starch. My levels were haywire.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know this is about potato starch but I went to buy a cold med ( musinex) and hav been using the liquid gel caps. The caplets were cheaper. Good thing I looked at the inactive ingredients, number 1.......CORN STARCH. Ridiculous. Poor people who do t read labels. I'd be in so much pain. Worse than gluten for me

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As I've stayed away from anything with other grains because I know that I have a wheat intolerance, but not tested for other starches but as I've said oats in porridge is really bad.
It really doesn't surprise me about corn starch and corn syrup and other industrial additives used to produce food.
The more they mess with food, the worse it is!

Fresh and natural for me.

I never thought I'd be a food hippy!
Promoting natural foods!

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
I'm a type 1 coeliac and yes the GF foods are a nightmare.
Its states on the pack Gluten Free and the manufacturers couldn't give a flying fig about any other rubbish they put in it!

I thought you spray potato starch on you collar whilst ironing to make them stiff????

Runs off whistling a jaunty tune..........

Reactions: Brunneria

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Its states on the pack Gluten Free and the manufacturers couldn't give a flying fig about any other rubbish they put in it!

I thought you spray potato starch on you collar whilst ironing to make them stiff????

Lol. That's one reason I stay completely grain/ starch free. Far less complicated than trying to decifer labels.

lindisfel

Expert
Sorry, porridge is something that is really bad for my blood levels.
I can manage a few pulses without the sauces and sweetened water they come in, but not many.

There has been some success with Sitagliptin, which if you do tolerate some carbs (I can't!) will lower your spike, because it alters your glycogen/ glucagon response which also does not trigger the overshoot of the second insulin response.
And of course, no hyper, no hypo!

The drug for me has no side effects that I know of! And I do believe that it helps me.
But others would have to be careful, because of the side effects.
It is no cure.
My last eOGTT confirmed this, despite only recording an eight as my spike, I still went hypo.
Without the Sitagliptin, my spike would be in double figures and my hyper and hypo would make me extremely ill!

How you doing Derek?

All the best mate!

I am fine Lamont, I was a bit rough over the weekend but I tried to cut down on my tablets again and had a stressful journey coming back from looking after our grandson with road traffic. Been walking a bit this week and cut all our grass, c.1/4 acre, so theres not a lot wrong with me.
Hope you are well, you need to retire! :)
atb
Derek

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Shouldn't there be an allergy warning on meds like there is in food?

I believe that because there is so many allergies or intolerance to so many different ingredients. The space required would be much bigger that the item you are reading. For example, I've taken aspirin for years and because of my dairy intolerance, lactose is an ingredient in a lot of oral meds, that if I get a change in brand of tablet. I have to be careful that it doesn't effect my blood levels because of the lactose. You would think, that, with the amount of lactose is such an insignificant percentage of the actual ingredients, how could it be harmful? But it doesn't work that way.

I would imagine that a lot of diabetics, have no idea, that having an intolerance to certain foods such as wheat and gluten. That even the meds they have been prescribed are just as liable to effect them, hence the wide ranging side effects of diabetic meds. Even for those injecting insulin, an overdose is really bad!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am fine Lamont, I was a bit rough over the weekend but I tried to cut down on my tablets again and had a stressful journey coming back from looking after our grandson with road traffic. Been walking a bit this week and cut all our grass, c.1/4 acre, so theres not a lot wrong with me.
Hope you are well, you need to retire! :)
atb
Derek

I'm great mate!
The roads are getting worse, hope your grandson is ok.
I'm too old to retire, there is no way I'm going to stop, not now I have got my health back. I know I would be bored stupid!
Keeping busy is the best way to get your exercise isn't it?
Even days off are busy with catching up with chores and family.

Take care of you and yours, take it easy but not too easy!

Best wishes mate.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Plant starches including potato is the stuff they use to glue bits of paper together to make cardboard. Yummy

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe that because there is so many allergies or intolerance to so many different ingredients. The space required would be much bigger that the item you are reading. For example, I've taken aspirin for years and because of my dairy intolerance, lactose is an ingredient in a lot of oral meds, that if I get a change in brand of tablet. I have to be careful that it doesn't effect my blood levels because of the lactose. You would think, that, with the amount of lactose is such an insignificant percentage of the actual ingredients, how could it be harmful? But it doesn't work that way.

I would imagine that a lot of diabetics, have no idea, that having an intolerance to certain foods such as wheat and gluten. That even the meds they have been prescribed are just as liable to effect them, hence the wide ranging side effects of diabetic meds. Even for those injecting insulin, an overdose is really bad!
Here in the US they put the highest allergens on food packages.
Wheat dairy soy nuts eggs and maybe a few more.