Longest acting rapid insulin ?

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
My novorapid works quickly for two hours then bg rises fast so any idea how to deal with this and is there a longer duration rapid insulin

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you might be confused about what rapid insulin is. A long acting insulin would, rather obviously, not be a rapid insulin.

What is supposed to happen is your basal insulin keeps your blood sugar flat when you are not eating or bolusing. So, have you done a basal test to check whether your blood sugar rises are related to a lack of basal insulin?

Then what are you eating? Depending on the meal the carbs you eat might not kick in to start raising your blood sugar until 2 hours after you eat them. This is normally the pizza effect, so if you're eating carbs with high fat they take a while to start raising blood sugar. Or if you are low carbing then a meal with protein might start raising your blood sugar about 2 hours after eating because it takes a while for the body to start turning protein into glucose. Or there might be slow release complex carbs that just take ages to break down, things like pulses.

To deal with pizza effect or slow release carbs people on an insulin pump can use a dual wave bolus, so you get half (or some % of) the bolus immediately, and the rest of the bolus over a set period of time, like 2hrs.

On MDI you can do a DIY dual wave bolus by just giving part of your bolus befor eating and part after eating. Or you can inject part in a bit of your body that you know is quick absorb (like your tummy) and part that you know takes longer (like your bum) - but that does involve knowing how your injection sites work for you.

Last edited:

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My novorapid works quickly for two hours then bg rises fast so any idea how to deal with this and is there a longer duration rapid insulin

Hi @borderter . . .

There are a selection of "Rapid" or "Short-Acting" Insulins available which have different profiles. Officially, NovoRapid has a duration of action of around 4 hours, but of course this will vary between individuals.

For my regular (Ketogenic) meals I use Humulin S . . . this has an official duration of action of around 6 hours. There are a couple of others that have durations up to 8 hours. All of these are classified as either "Rapid" or "Short-Acting" Insulins.

Hopefully the attached sheet is useful for you.

I very often see the advice on this forum for people on MDI (multiple daily injections) to split their Bolus injections in order to get the timing right with their food. But I think selecting the Insulin with the correct profile to match what you are normally eating is a much better approach.

I have never had any problems from any Doctor getting a prescription for 2 different Bolus Insulins . . . I use Humulin S for my regular meals, and I use the faster Humalog for corrections and on my scheduled binge days.

Regards :)
Antony

Attachments

• Insulin profiles.pdf
    235.9 KB · Views: 767
Reactions: ringi

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Interesting pointers here ,really feel novorapid no longer works long enough for me but also basal may be a problem and basal testing through the night is very hard on oh as hes health probs of his own
Bloods due Wednesday and see dns following week so will see what she can suggest

Stefans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @borderter . . .

There are a selection of "Rapid" or "Short-Acting" Insulins available which have different profiles. Officially, NovoRapid has a duration of action of around 4 hours, but of course this will vary between individuals.

For my regular (Ketogenic) meals I use Humulin S . . . this has an official duration of action of around 6 hours. There are a couple of others that have durations up to 8 hours. All of these are classified as either "Rapid" or "Short-Acting" Insulins.

Hopefully the attached sheet is useful for you.

I very often see the advice on this forum for people on MDI (multiple daily injections) to split their Bolus injections in order to get the timing right with their food. But I think selecting the Insulin with the correct profile to match what you are normally eating is a much better approach.

I have never had any problems from any Doctor getting a prescription for 2 different Bolus Insulins . . . I use Humulin S for my regular meals, and I use the faster Humalog for corrections and on my scheduled binge days.

Regards :)
Antony
I think this post needs to be bumped a bit, it is VERY good, listen to @diamondnostril.
When I started doing low carb/keto diet I continued to use my normal rapid action insulin (apidra), I struggled to find a insulin that I could inject in half units but I managed to get my levels much better. I changed to NovoRapid and NovoPen Echo (helf units and memory function). I started taking dual doses, topping up after 2-3 hours, but work schedule did not always allow this. My values were still much better than before, but I knew they could be even better. I decided to try a short acting insulin, to my surprise my doctor just agreed (she have never believed in my low carb treatment). It really helps a lot, I now take Actrapid for all meals, Levimir as basal, and NovoRapid as adjustment.
I have a red novo pen echo for Actrapid and a Blue for NovoRapid so I can easily tell them apart. Both giving me the ability to inject half units (and the memory function helps me to remember if I did take or not which is really helpful).

Reactions: Struma

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I couldn't live without half units. I do split boluses if I eat a larger than normal meal and in the morning to stop the morning rise.

My basal is nowhere to be seen in the morning so I rely on humalog during the day. I used to use novolog but found humalog to be much smoother and last a bit longer. I thought novolog gave a sharp peak around 45 minutes and a fast drop before 2 hours. Humalog seems much smoother. However if I took the full bolus to cover my low carb high fat meals I would hypo and then spike so I find splitting the bolus to pick up the tail end much more effective. True. It's another jab but for me staying steady is worth it. I feel like trash when I'm fluctuating.