Cooking in halogen oven

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have access to a halogen oven, can I cook there steaks, chicken thighs, burgers, salmon fillets, pork belly etc? Or they will end up dry? I plan to use disposable foil trays or do you have any other suggestion for mess free cooking?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have access to a halogen oven, can I cook there steaks, chicken thighs, burgers, salmon fillets, pork belly etc? Or they will end up dry? I plan to use disposable foil trays or do you have any other suggestion for mess free cooking?

I don't use an halogen oven, but I do use disposable foil containers, like takeaways come in, and have found them in Poundland at 2 for £1 for the single portion ones an a few less for the double sized ones, including the lids.

Good luck with it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Depends on how long you have access to the halogen oven for?
What wattage is this oven?
Is the access you have only every fortnight at weekends? (I had a mate loose out to one when his relationship broke up, along with a carved alabaster God statue given by his mum to them both as a "house warming" present.)

Salmon fillets in a loosely wrapped in sheet foil, with olive oil (the good stuff.) shallot & garlic will cook in a halogen & stay clean with a disposable mess... All this can be prepped at your place. Taken round then cooked...

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

What do you mean by "access"?

If you mean it's in a shared kitchen, then look for the manual (or search online using the oven model number) Most come with a manual with excellent guidance about cooking methods and timings, and often a number of recipes too.

If by "access", you mean it's your partner's, then that makes it even easier.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't use an halogen oven, but I do use disposable foil containers, like takeaways come in, and have found them in Poundland at 2 for £1 for the single portion ones an a few less for the double sized ones, including the lids.

Good luck with it.

Isn't 50p too much for a foil tray for a single cooking of one day?
Are we sure there are no cheaper way? 10p would be more reasonable.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Depends on how long you have access to the halogen oven for?
What wattage is this oven?
Is the access you have only every fortnight at weekends? (I had a mate loose out to one when his relationship broke up, along with a carved alabaster God statue given by his mum to them both as a "house warming" present.)

Salmon fillets in a loosely wrapped in sheet foil, with olive oil (the good stuff.) shallot & garlic will cook in a halogen & stay clean with a disposable mess... All this can be prepped at your place. Taken round then cooked...

Access means it is available at the home I live and I can use it.

Can I wrap anything (chicken thighs, steaks, burgers) in sheet foil and cook it? I don't want it to become boiled, but closer to grilled (the best that can be done with such oven).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

You could offset the foil cost incurred against the savings on not using a conventional oven?

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Can I wrap anything (chicken thighs, steaks, burgers) in sheet foil and cook it? I don't want it to become boiled, but closer to grilled (the best that can be done with such oven).

Ah, I see. If you wish a more grilled dish? You could use a grill & catch any mess lining the base with tin foil..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Apologies, there's a typo there. It is 12 for £1, so under 9p per tray. If you're careful you could wash the trays, although the lids would wilt a bit, being cardboard backed, but the tray could be covered in foil second time around.

I mainly use them for freezing meals.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

If you wrap it in foil it's more likely to be 'steamed' than grilled.

Is there not a manual with the oven?

If you want a grilled effect, why don't you use a grill?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you wrap it in foil it's more likely to be 'steamed' than grilled.

Is there not a manual with the oven?

If you want a grilled effect, why don't you use a grill?

I think (I can't be utterly certain, as I don't have a halogen oven) that if whatever is in it isn't covered, so maybe a tray, but no lid, it'd grill. YouTube seems to have loads on cooking, including grilling, with halogen ovens

I gather they're clever things, but I have waaaaaay too many kitchen gadgets already to indulge myself.

D

Deleted member 308541

I gather they're clever things, but I have waaaaaay too many kitchen gadgets already to indulge myself.
Go on, you know you really want one...
el8jq.gif

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies, there's a typo there. It is 12 for £1, so under 9p per tray. If you're careful you could wash the trays, although the lids would wilt a bit, being cardboard backed, but the tray could be covered in foil second time around.

I mainly use them for freezing meals.

I think it's actually 2 per £1.
http://www.poundland.co.uk/foil-roasting-trays-2-pack

It's normal price in supermarkets for such items. And the cheaper are usually very small to fit 3 chicken thighs.
http://www.poundland.co.uk/bbq-grill-trays-6-pack

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think (I can't be utterly certain, as I don't have a halogen oven) that if whatever is in it isn't covered, so maybe a tray, but no lid, it'd grill. YouTube seems to have loads on cooking, including grilling, with halogen ovens

I do t have one either but I have used one, cooking at a friend's house. We cooked chicken and a cake. Both came out really well.

But my point was that wrapping something moist in foil isn't going to,grill it - whatever kind of oven it's in.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's actually 2 per £1.
http://www.poundland.co.uk/foil-roasting-trays-2-pack

It's normal price in supermarkets for such items. And the cheaper are usually very small to fit 3 chicken thighs.
http://www.poundland.co.uk/bbq-grill-trays-6-pack

Without being a pedant, the ones I bought are here: http://www.poundland.co.uk/foil-containers-with-lids-10-pack-3 , although there were 12 in the pack. These would take 2 chicken thighs. For 3, I might tend to go for these, which would certainly hold 5 thighs: http://www.poundland.co.uk/foil-containers-with-lids-10-pack-2

I can assure you mine had 12 containers, because I've just gone and checked a sealed package.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is wrong with a baking tray/dish lined with foil?

D

Deleted member 308541

I get 1 litre plastic take away containers at a good price from my friendly chef at the bowls club to use in the microwave.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Make a tray from a piece cooking foil by folding the sides up - I do this all the time in my ordinary oven so I can cook several different things on one baking tray works fine. Yesterday I did sausages for me a chicken Kiev for my son and a piece of salmon for hubby - no crossing over of flavours or juices and less washing up