What to eat hehe =)

ironf15t

Hi everyone!

Ive been meaning to ask this for a while but never end up getting round to it.

I have been type 1 for 17.5 years (I'm 27) and have burned out of ideas what to have for meals =(

I do eat carbs, always have and with better managing now I've dropped a few stone over the years.

I see alot of people doing the low carb way but I'm curious to whether you can eat low carb but not lose weight as I'd rather not lose anymore =(

If anyone could post what they typically eat for meals that would be awesome! I know not everyone is the same but I just want an insight to what other people eat low carb or carbs =)

Sorry for the long post and sorry if I don't make much sense hehe =)

Peter

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not losing weight is perfectly possible on a low carb diet. It isn't easy until you find the right balance .... as I know, having done it. It involves increasing your calories by adding more fats and/or protein to your diet. This can be trial and error, and probably more so for a Type 1, with having to also juggle insulin doses. It took me a couple of months to find the right balance, one that suited ME. In the end, it was mainly adding extra eggs and cheese, maybe some extra butter and mayo on my salads. You may find other foods that do the trick, but basically, the extra calories can only come from fats and protein. There is no other way. I am very low carb (30g approx) and have maintained my weight for 3 years now. It also involves constant weighing, so get your bathroom scales out!

Reactions: Celsus

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @bulkbiker and @Bluetit1802, want to ask you as you both have extensive experience in that domain:
If I continue eating the kind of food as I do today, but simply just drop any of the starches, e.g. all breads, potato, rice, pasta etc. approximately how low carb would you say one would need to go down to on daily basis still to benefit from the low carb methodology?

Today I typically eat between 85-110 gram of carbs every day. The majority clearly coming from the breads at breakfast and lunch, while its the classic starches I get for dinner. But to cancel them all out I think I would find quite easy, as do already that at many meals where salads etc are the big fillers. Only stuff I will find hard to miss are the many fruits I truly enjoy. ;o)

So therefore my question: How 'extreme' do one need to be in daily carb ratio (grams/day) to truly get into and benefit from the ketosis stage?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So therefore my question: How 'extreme' do one need to be in daily carb ratio (grams/day) to truly get into and benefit from the ketosis stage?

Most keto folks would say to "guarantee" you get into ketosis fewer than 20g of carbs per day. Obviously this will vary from person to person. I tend to have between 10 and 25g per day and yes I keep a food diary. A lot of that comes from the cream I have in my coffee and the lactofree milk in my tea. Those aside the rest comes from salad or green veg with sometimes a treat of Oppo ice cream which has about 8g of carb per 100g. When doing experimental things like egg fasts I got down to between 2 and 6g per day. My average since starting my food diary is 18g although that will be slightly skewed by the day I did my OGTT which added an extra 75g of carbs.

Reactions: Celsus

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Some people arrive in ketosis with more carbs than others! Again, there are only guidelines, not rules. I eat approx 30g a day with extra on Sundays. However, I'm not one that is bothered about ketones. I have never measured mine as I've never seen a need to, in my case. @bulkbiker is the expert.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone!

Ive been meaning to ask this for a while but never end up getting round to it.

I have been type 1 for 17.5 years (I'm 27) and have burned out of ideas what to have for meals =(

I do eat carbs, always have and with better managing now I've dropped a few stone over the years.

I see alot of people doing the low carb way but I'm curious to whether you can eat low carb but not lose weight as I'd rather not lose anymore =(

If anyone could post what they typically eat for meals that would be awesome! I know not everyone is the same but I just want an insight to what other people eat low carb or carbs =)

Sorry for the long post and sorry if I don't make much sense hehe =)

Peter

I'm not T1, but I am a lower carber, with stable weight. I lost weight initially, but have been very stable (minor fluctuations like everyone else) for about 3 years.

Of course, I'm not balancing insulin, but others do. Hopefully someone will drop by this evening.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would add the advice to keep a journal of some sort is invaluable, there are lots of Apps or Excel. I say this as someone who did not.

My scatter gun approach ultimately has got me to a good place, but it would have been great and perhaps useful to have had a record of what I ate in a given week, how much exercise, how much weight, sleep etc. Now I only have snippets rather than the whole picture.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see alot of people doing the low carb way but I'm curious to whether you can eat low carb but not lose weight as I'd rather not lose anymore.

I lost weight in the first two months of low-carb but since then the weight has been at a rock-steady, and healthy, level. You are less than half my age and T1, I am T2. We are all different so you won't really know how your weight is affected unless you try it out.

If anyone could post what they typically eat for meals that would be awesome!

There is a separate "low-carb" sub-forum that you may find helpful.

As for me, it goes something like this. Sorry about the length, but food descriptions are hard to abbreviate.

I started out with a very low-carb diet (probably ketogenic) i.e. fewer than 20g of carbs per day, but after getting the A1C down to a good level within two months, I loosened up and it's now between 30g and 50g of carbs per day. I have much of my carb load with breakfast, which is not necessarily typical (and my breakfast nowadays includes some cereal, which is a no-no if you want to go really low-carb). I am also still relatively "low fat" so this is not a full "LCHF" diet.

Breakfast: always the same. One tablespoon of homemade granola (muesli) mixed with one tablespoon of wheat bran (the latter helps with constipation, which is a side-effect of low-carb for some people). Topped with four thin slices of banana, two raspberries and four blueberries. Covered with just enough zero-fat milk to make it edible. After the cereal: two tablespoons of zero-fat Greek yoghurt. To drink: plain black coffee (about three cups during the morning).

Lunch: Typically a Greek salad i.e. lettuce, onions, feta cheese, small quantity of tomato, olives. Homemade dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar and a pinch of salt. Also: half an avocado, with the same vinaigrette dressing. To finish: a handful of nuts (pecans, macadamias, small quantity of Brazil nuts). On some days, I will, instead, have a lunch of leftovers from a dinner a few nights before, but in small quantities. Or, about once a week, I cook a two-egg cheese-and-herbes-de-Provence omelette. To drink: a large glass of fizzy mineral water (San Pellegrino) with half a lemon squeezed into it.

Late afternoon, when settling in to watch the BBC1 10pm news (which is 5pm here in Eastern USA), I have an early-evening treat. Typically, either nuts (as with lunch) or two or three "keto seed crackers" with cheese (recipe here https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-seed-crackers). This is accompanied by a small (and I mean small, i.e. the 90ml glass that is quite hard to find in America) glass of dry red wine. I no longer drink much alcohol, so my treat is that I now buy really good wine, and always in half-bottles shared with my wife. Much more expensive per unit but cheaper overall because consumption has dropped so much.

Dinner, which is between 7:30pm and 8pm: hundreds of different possibilities, but ruling out bread, potatos, rice, pasta, fruit, the starchy kinds of vegetable, and almost all "processed" food with the exception of sausages, meatballs and supermarket jars of low-carb Italian sauce. Typically, fish/seafood once or twice a week (cod, haddock, salmon, mussels), chicken, pork, lamb chops, bacon-wrapped foods. Eaten with cauliflower rice, green beans, ratatouille (if you make onc large batch of this it will last several days). I also do quite a lot of "spiralizing." Two favorite "spiralized" dishes are zucchini (courgette) noodles with shrimp, and celeriac spaghetti with low-carb meatballs and low-carb Italian sauce. For dessert: cheese with low-carb crackers. To drink: one more small glass of dry red wine. (Total wine consumption per day: 180ml.)

Throughout the day: I drink a fair amount of water. At least 2 liters (in addition to drinking during meals). To make this less monotonous, about half of it is fizzy mineral water, the other half being tap water.

If I ever feel like being naughty, I cheat by increasing the quantity of wine -- to about half a bottle in one day, imbibed with food. This happens once or twice a week. Dry red or white wine is relatively low-carb so I don't worry too much about this.

For the effects of this diet, see signature below.

Last edited: